Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Charlie Munger: Off the leash

The Big Picture Place
forrado
2 Lemon pips

Charlie Munger: Off the leash

Postby forrado » May 20th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Think Morecombe, you think Wise. Think Laurel, you think Hardy. Think Buffett, you think Munger.

At 93 years of age Charlie Munger is still as acerbic and straight-talking has he’s ever been, some might say even more so during this period he refers to as ‘my endgame’. Warren Buffett has often called him ‘my partner and best friend’, but even Buffett has long since stopped making excuses for the forthright way Munger often expresses his opinions. “That’s just the way Charlie is! We both think the same way about most things, it’s that I would never say it in the way Charlie does” is usually the answer Buffett gives when asked about something Munger has said.

Recently posted on You Tube is what looks a privately made recording of Charlie Munger fielding a variety of questions put to him by a small audience following the 2017 Annual General Meeting of Berkshire Hathaway. It amazes me how much patience the man has at the age he is in order to sit there for what must have been some two hours non-stop holding forth on near every subject under the sun.

While I understand that I’m not yet a Foolish Lemon of ‘good standing’ to post links, to watch the 1hr 48min recording just go to Google or You Tube and type “Charlie Munger Interview & Q&A 2017” into the search engine box … then sit back and listen.

Some of the Munger stinging utterances include:
“Shout less, learn more” when asked about the number of young people demonstrating against President Trump.
“He’s a one-trick pony rider who has ridden his mount for all it’s worth” when asked about Jack Bogle, the founder of Vanguard.
“Screw everyone except six and save them as pallbearers” is the Munger opinion of his Harvard University contemporary Sumner Redstone, the 93-year old media magnate and majority shareholder of the CBS Corporation and Viacom, who in 1979 suffered serious burns in Boston hotel fire. It comes as no surprise to Charlie that nobody likes Redstone, not even his wives.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Charlie Munger: Off the leash

Postby Itsallaguess » May 20th, 2017, 4:32 pm

forrado wrote:
To watch the 1hr 48min recording just go to Google or You Tube and type “Charlie Munger Interview & Q&A 2017” into the search engine box … then sit back and listen.

Thanks for the interesting post forrado.

Here's a link to the video for anyone interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzrHPYWojY

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » May 20th, 2017, 11:36 pm

forrado

While I understand that I’m not yet a Foolish Lemon of ‘good standing’ to post links, to watch the 1hr 48min recording just go to Google or You Tube and type “Charlie Munger Interview & Q&A 2017” into the search engine box … then sit back and listen.

A wonderful recording, so interesting & useful.

In my humble opinion this one post puts you in the 'good standing' category'!

Thanks for posting!

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » May 22nd, 2018, 10:16 am

This is one of the best interviews I have ever seen with Charlie Munger. His assessment & comments are remarkable for their vision & humility & love of understanding of the human condition:

https://youtu.be/TRsZHwXfWnY

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
This is one of the best interviews I have ever seen with Charlie Munger.

His assessment & comments are remarkable for their vision & humility & love of understanding of the human condition:

https://youtu.be/TRsZHwXfWnY

Thanks for the link Ody - very interesting as always, especially the final two or three minutes. Perhaps we could all learn a thing or two from that final section!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 4th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Super graduation speech by Charlie Munger, giving advice to young people:

https://youtu.be/Qf4trOzMy2I

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half