Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Netflix endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Netflix endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » July 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

Very strong results from Netflix last night:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/netflix- ... -2017.html

Interesting how electronics and broadband have so changed the way folk consume entertainment. In some ways Netflix is the 21st century analogue of the 20th century movie studios, but now things are more convenient, no need to go to the cinema, it comes to you. As so often the incumbent movie theatres failed to change fast enough & are now struggling with a formidable competitor.

Lots of potential competition, but it is often hard for new entrants to break into a market where the incumbent creates their own content & locks folk in with relatively low subscriptions.

Not sure if the circa 10% after hours share price will be all she wrote for the time being as Nflx has often gone out of favour between earnings, although the forward guidance was good.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Netflix endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » July 20th, 2017, 10:06 am

Hi Snorvey,

Yes, as far as I can tell the cinemas have had their day.

Sure there is the delay between launch & home watch for big cinema stuff, but for Netflix who produce their own content there is no delay & there is anyhow a finite amount of video watching time available such that if Netflix stuff interests it leaves little time for cinema visits & being ripped off. For your £40+ you can have a huge amount of comfortable viewing Netflix.

Interestingly my home town have just begun to build a new cinema on a cattle market that has existed for several hundred years. This despite several other cinemas having long since closed down. Kinda feel that somewhere a salesman will be getting a big cheque to pay for a big boat!

From an investment perspective Netflix looks very attractive. Given the huge subscriber increase any small rise in the price they charge will drop quickly to the bottom line & given they are controlling the production costs it looks an attractive business to me going forwards.

Regards,

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » July 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Snorvey wrote:... no one talking, no one moving, no one being noisy, ...

You've not met my wife and kids then?

StepOne

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 20th, 2017, 1:14 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Yes, as far as I can tell the cinemas have had their day. ...

As a shareholder in AIM Market Everyman Media "an independent network of boutique cinemas", I hope you are wrong:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... XASQ1.html

https://www.everymancinema.com/about-everyman

Might not be on the cheap side, standard seats in the region of £15 depending on location, but food, alcoholic drinks and waiter service to your sofa or comfortable seats, in pleasant surroundings, may be the way forward.

Probably what Snorvey gets at home, without the cost. ;)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 20th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Snorvey wrote:Next up for me at some point in the distant future is 4k via Sky Q or Netflix - after I look into purchasing a UHD telly of course. Then the cinema will be a thing of the past.

I couldn't disagree more strongly.

The cinema is a completely different experience to watching on the telly, no matter how huge the thing might be (and incidentally I personally think that having a giant blank screen in a sitting room looks utterly hideous, but each to his own).

A good cinema provides a far more immersive experience than any telly can provide, but to my mind it's the feeling of being amongst dozens of other people that are also enjoying it that really makes the difference. It's a genuinely communal experience unlike sitting at home.

I'm really looking forward to watching Dunkirk on an Imax screen. From what I've read it promises to be a brilliant experience, and there is no way on earth any telly can even come close to that.

And I think your resentment of paying £20 a head for an experience like that is probably just an ethnic thing! ;)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 21st, 2017, 10:00 am

Snorvey wrote:
Are Yorkshireman known to be tight as well? Yes, I know you're in Lancashire, but surely that's practically the same thing?

And thus it was that War of the Roses finally ended and the red and white blooms united to take on the thistle of Scotland.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 23rd, 2017, 12:08 am

Snorvey wrote:.....but to my mind it's the feeling of being amongst dozens of other people and their farts, noisy eating habits, coming in after the movie has started, going to the toilet or for a fag part way through the film / taking a phone call / sending a text / general surfing the internet that that really makes the difference. It's a genuinely communal toilet experience unlike sitting at home.

My apologies, I didn't realise Scottish cinemas were like that. You really must try visiting an English one some time, it would be a revelation!

I'm really looking forward to watching Dunkirk on an Imax screen. From what I've read it promises to be a brilliant experience, and there is no way on earth any telly can even come close to that.

You need a new telly.

I've made enquiries at the local Currys, but they said they weren't aware of any being made with a screen size of 26.3m by 18.8m ...

And I think your resentment of paying £20 a head for an experience like that is probably just an ethnic thing!

Are Yorkshireman known to be tight as well?

Indeed they are - I believe the usual definition of a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with the generosity squeezed out of him ;)

Yes, I know you're in Lancashire, but surely that's practically the same thing?

In the same way that a Scotsman is "practically the same thing" as an Englishman :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 23rd, 2017, 12:39 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I personally think that having a giant blank screen in a sitting room looks utterly hideous, but each to his own).

I agree. Which is why, after delicate negotiations with my wife, and only possible because our children have all left home and thankfully so far have not returned, we came to an accommodation.

The sitting room has no TV. It is where we go to talk to each other. Or more likely, ignore each other whilst we gaze into our devices.

And the junior cost centre's bedroom has been converted into an Audio-Visual room, with a monster screen, 7-speaker surround sound with a bitching subwoofer that will evacuate your bowels at 50 paces.

There's always a way.

Meanwhile Netflix is up nearly 20% in a week. FaceBook, Amazon and Google announce 2Q next week. These are interesting times.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 17th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Strong results from Nflx last night showing strong growth in subscriptions with no sign of serious resistance to the recent price increases.

It will be interesting to see if Nflx moves up on this or if money comes out of Nflx and goes to other stocks.

Many of the high beta tech stocks are at or near all time highs and there is the potential for a melt up here, or a bull trap if investors feel they have all moved too much.

Nflx will be the first tell of this earning season as to sentiment.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 16th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Netflix continues to make a lot of money and add a lot of subscribers:

https://s22.q4cdn.com/959853165/files/d ... Letter.pdf

Interesting going into the earnings how many analysts down graded NFLX, not so long ago they upgraded it when it had a weak quarter. One might get to thinking that analysts haven't got a clue.

I would not want to invest in anything that is competing with this massively powerful secular grower.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”