Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Signs of excess

The Big Picture Place
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Signs of excess

Postby GrandOiseau » August 25th, 2017, 11:42 am

Interesting light doom mongering article with some good examples proffered of the excesses.

I'm probably just talking my book as I've been distracted and let my ISA capital build whilst the FTSE marches on. Could an opportunity to make good long term investments be just around the corner?

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Signs of excess

Postby Snorvey » August 25th, 2017, 12:31 pm

I kind of read the article, but got a bit glassy eyed the more I read - but then I'm not an economist (not that seems to make a difference as they all have different ideas of where we're going)

But what all the doommongers seem to forget is that it was only 10 years ago that we had what was the most appalling crash we're ever likely to see and that (at least in my eyes) the world is still recovering from that crash. Over the next (great) number of years, the world central banks will shrink their balance sheets so slowly you'll not notice. I can't see inflation being a problem because wages just aren't going up (see below)

We'll move steadily away from fossil fuels, learn how to feed ourselves with insects and the like, food will be cheaper (see Amazon/Whole Foods upcoming (almost) zero margin model for a start). Robots and AI will be teaching each other new things and subsequently companies will be making mega money from not having to pay humans. Of course, that's assuming the people who are lucky enough to have a job have money and to spend to buy their stuff...and that's the issue. Finding a way to tax companies effectively and give it back to the people so they can spend it on stuff again.

The UK might just have an opportunity to do this in a post Brexit world.

There's so much to discuss on where the world is going, but I think for the long term investor, opportunities abound.

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter

Postby FredBloggs » August 25th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Nope. I think we're all doomed. DOOMED I TELL YE!

Well, there's a 100% chance one of us is right.

odysseus2000
Lemon Slice

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2017, 9:18 am

The biggest sign of excess in my opinion is in the small amounts of money being paid out to the growing army of folk who now make a living blogging about things financial. An army of folk characterised by their great energy in writing articles that are often logical arguments based on ridiculous premise and often bullish if the subject of their article is going up, bearish if it is going down.

Anyone reading this stuff is very likely going to lose any chance they may have had to make money from investing, perhaps their best profit potential is to join this army of folk and also get paid for writing rubbish.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”