Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Any Dubai based Brits? Best platform and tax reduction options?

Financial discussion for any financial queries for Expats
TINMAN29

Any Dubai based Brits? Best platform and tax reduction options?

Postby TINMAN29 » September 19th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a Brit in Dubai, retiring in the UK eventually.

I am trying to figure out the best tax-sheltered and best platform options available to us.

Any ideas on this please?

I have post in the tax board re tax implications of doing what I currently do (AED to GBP then invest with Hargreaves) but I thought I would also post on this board in the hope an international / expat investor might have some experience with this.

I am quiet happy investing with HL, 0% platform fee, £11.95 per buy/sell, quarterly rebalance i.e. 8 buy/sells a year. BUT if I am losing money unnecessarily, I'd like to change that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
TM29

Bushman

Re: Any Dubai based Brits? Best platform and tax reduction options?

Postby Bushman » September 19th, 2018, 11:10 pm

I have accounts with Interactive Brokers (IB) and Internaxx. IB offers good exchange rates, low dealing costs and wide product range. Their platform takes a while to get used to. I opened Internaxx as I did not want to put all my eggs in one basket and because they appeared to be expat focused. Dealing costs are higher, exchages rates not too bad. I am happy with both.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Any Dubai based Brits? Best platform and tax reduction options?

Postby DiamondEcho » September 20th, 2018, 6:40 am

Bushman wrote:IB offers good exchange rates, low dealing costs and wide product range. Their platform takes a while to get used to.

I replied to Tinman in his parallel post regarding platform/taxation yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13794&p=167563#p167563
The observations I made on the IntB platform were:
DiamondEcho wrote: IntB are very good, and offer a huuuge product range and low fees. That said their reporting and trading system is huge, so you might find it a learning curve to get going with an a/c, unless you work in finance perhaps! I found IB VERY competitive on FX rates/fees/share-px spreads the lot.

Seems I'm not alone in my experiences of IntB!

Moderator Message:
RS: Any further replies on then other thread only please. I've locked this one.

Return to “International & Expat Investors”