Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

US Government Pension

Financial discussion for any financial queries for Expats
yieldhog
Lemon Slice

US Government Pension

Postby yieldhog » April 16th, 2024, 9:16 am

I lived and worked in the US until I retired at which time I moved back to the UK and gave up my US resident status. My wife and I are both UK citizens.
During the time I spent working in the US, I accumulated US government pension entitlements which are now paid direct to me from the US. Although my wife never worked in the US she was entitled to her own pension amounting to half of my pension amount.
My question now is that when I pass away what will happen to my wife's entitlement?not Clearly, when I die my US pension will cease but does that mean my wife's US pension will also stop?
I have written to the US embassy benefits section in London but have not got a response.

Is there anyone on TLF who knows the answer to this?

Thanks,
Y

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: US Government Pension

Postby mc2fool » April 16th, 2024, 9:50 am

I don't know the answer, and while I do get a small US pension I'm not married so I'm not in your situation, but when, some years ago, I wanted info about and first applied for it I found phoning the London Federal Benefits Unit to be fruitful, so you might try that path.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/contacting-the-london-federal-benefits-unit/

yieldhog
Lemon Slice

Postby yieldhog » April 16th, 2024, 12:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:I don't know the answer, and while I do get a small US pension I'm not married so I'm not in your situation, but when, some years ago, I wanted info about and first applied for it I found phoning the London Federal Benefits Unit to be fruitful, so you might try that path.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... fits-unit/

I prefer to get written answers for things like this, but you are right, it's probably worth a phone call considering they have not replied to my letter.

Y

yieldhog
Lemon Slice

Postby yieldhog » April 21st, 2024, 8:26 am

yieldhog wrote:I prefer to get written answers for things like this, but you are right, it's probably worth a phone call considering they have not replied to my letter.

I tried submitting an email enquiry and got some very prompt and helpful information. Still no definitive answer but it does appear my wife will receive some sort of pension when I die.

Y

Return to “International & Expat Investors”