Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Forex trading symbols

Financial discussion for any financial queries for Expats
stockton
Lemon Slice

Forex trading symbols

Postby stockton » August 28th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Can anyone tell me the symbol for selling dollars and buying euros ?
I can find a variety of symbols but not one for this combination.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Forex trading symbols

Postby DiamondEcho » August 28th, 2017, 5:11 pm

'For example, if the USD/EUR currency pair is quoted as being USD/EUR = 1.5 and you purchase the pair, this means that for every 1.5 euros that you sell, you purchase (receive) $1 in U.S. currency. If you sold the currency pair, you would receive 1.5 euros for every $1 you sell. The inverse of the currency quote is EUR/USD, and the corresponding price would be EUR/USD = 0.667, meaning that 66.7 cents in U.S. currency would buy 1 euro.'
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/currencypair.asp

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » August 28th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Here is an example from Google
https://finance.google.com/finance?q=usdeur

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » August 29th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Thanks everybody. It appears that the platform that I was trying to use (IB) simply does not permit one to use usdeur rather than eurusd.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 29th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Surely EUR is the base currency and USD the quoted currency? Other base currencies were Irish Punt and Malta Pound. Always irritated me to do FX with continental banks where they had EUR as base currency against Sterling where as it should of course be GBP. ;)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 29th, 2017, 6:55 pm

JMN2 wrote:Surely EUR is the base currency and USD the quoted currency? Other base currencies were Irish Punt and Malta Pound. Always irritated me to do FX with continental banks where they had EUR as base currency against Sterling where as it should of course be GBP. ;)

There's a convention in 'the west', the way currencies are quoted and ISTR the commonwealth currencies, A$, NZ$, GBP etc all had their own way, even as exceptions to everything else. Forget what the rule was now...
Got to be damned careful in other countries, esp. where a pair is around parity, to identify which side is which in a quoted price.

IB being a US company might quote the $/Eur pair from a US-centric perspective. I do little FX but recall doing an FX conversion GBP>US$>S$ trade via them and one of the legs went through the wrong way around. Before I could figure out what had gone wrong, and then unwind it, I'd turned something like a £50 profit on it hehe...

Return to “International & Expat Investors”