Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Boring Premium Bonds

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
bobsmydog
Lemon Pip
Posts: 66
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Boring Premium Bonds

#205628

Postby bobsmydog » March 5th, 2019, 10:00 am

Ok, so how random does this look on my 50K max? Exactly 3 x £25 prizes every other month with zero prizes the other months.

This has become so predictably boring that I have closed my account today.

I know random number tables don't look particularly random but these prizes look less random than random number tables! Too boring.

Watis
Lemon Slice
Posts: 513
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205635

Postby Watis » March 5th, 2019, 10:23 am

Too late, then, to see if the funky new processor yields a different pattern of results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47400060

Watis

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205741

Postby XFool » March 5th, 2019, 5:50 pm

bobsmydog wrote:Ok, so how random does this look on my 50K max? Exactly 3 x £25 prizes every other month with zero prizes the other months.

Yep! Looks like random to me. ;)

That is, looks like 'real' random as opposed to 'random' as envisaged by many, whereby you obviously couldn't possibly get a run like that.
As a matter of interest, how long has this run been? If you say every month for the past ten years I might get interested!

bobsmydog wrote:This has become so predictably boring that I have closed my account today.

Sounds more reliable that boring to me?

bobsmydog wrote:I know random number tables don't look particularly random but these prizes look less random than random number tables! Too boring.

I'd have thought little could be more boring than tables of random numbers. :)

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205744

Postby XFool » March 5th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Watis wrote:Too late, then, to see if the funky new processor yields a different pattern of results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47400060

Regarding that photo of Harry Fensom in the BBC article:

1. Why has Harry Fensom got cotton wool in his ears?

2. I fell to thinking, surely there must have been a way, in principal, of generating random numbers using his moustache?

3. Pretty sure that's an AVO 7 rather than an AVO 8.

4. On a more personal note, I wonder what lab that was in?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3040
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 598 times
Been thanked: 631 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205750

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 5th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Definitely an AVO

That's proper electronics - sort of thing the Doctor (probably Troughton or Pertwee) would be working on in his lab at UNIT HQ

(suspect lab in photo is PO Dollis Hill as per text)

Mike88
Lemon Slice
Posts: 346
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:17 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205755

Postby Mike88 » March 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm

For me holding Premium Bonds is a question of hope over expectation. The princely sum of £75 in 4 years on an £18000 holding is a pathetic return but I can't summon up the courage to dispose of mine.

Watis
Lemon Slice
Posts: 513
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205758

Postby Watis » March 5th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Mike88 wrote:For me holding Premium Bonds is a question of hope over expectation. The princely sum of £75 in 4 years on an £18000 holding is a pathetic return but I can't summon up the courage to dispose of mine.


I get at least that much annually from a somewhat smaller holding.

I guess that's randomness for you.

Watis

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3450
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 775 times
Been thanked: 836 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205760

Postby PinkDalek » March 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Watis wrote:
Mike88 wrote:For me holding Premium Bonds is a question of hope over expectation. The princely sum of £75 in 4 years on an £18000 holding is a pathetic return but I can't summon up the courage to dispose of mine.


I get at least that much annually from a somewhat smaller holding.

I guess that's randomness for you.

Watis


If of any interest, there’s a (currently) 15 page topic dedicated to Premium Bonds over at Bank Accounts Savings etc:

viewtopic.php?p=205203#p205203

Pipsmum
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 177
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 11:18 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205790

Postby Pipsmum » March 5th, 2019, 11:35 pm

My friend and I discussed that lottery tickets were a complete waste of money when you keep your stake with the PB's yet still have the thrill of chance.

We decided to buy a single £25 tranche of PB's each to equate to approx a months worth in lottery tickets. We shall periodically do the same again, if and when we feel like it.

We still attempted to win the euromillions and the lotto last weekend. The two tickets cost us £4.50 each for zilch.

Chances of winning a biggie.....(randomly found stats on the internet, depending where I looked)

Lotto jackpot = 1 in 45 million
Euromillions jackpot = 1 in 116.5 million (or 139,838,160 on another site)
PB = 1 in 34 billion (or 27 billion)

Lotto any prize = 1 in 9.3 (or 10)
Euromillions any prize = 1 in 13
PB lowest prize = 1 in 24,500

Seems vaguely more logical to get PB's instead and effectively 'win' a £25 prize each month by not losing it to any lottery ticket (only if you buy them anyway which I don't normally). Yet the comparable odds are not very comparable because be they high or not.... zilch is zilch whatever way you look at it.

MaraMan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 144
Joined: November 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205963

Postby MaraMan » March 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I have just bought £5K more in premium bonds. I can only get about 1.5% interest on the money in a deposit account and until now my £10K in PB's has yielded £850 in winnings over the past 5 years, but that started at £1K with annual top ups and prize reinvestments. I can't therefore work out the annual ROI easily, but it seems to me less boring that earning 1.5% in an investment account and you never know one day I might win big!! :lol:
MM

kempiejon
Lemon Slice
Posts: 952
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#205971

Postby kempiejon » March 6th, 2019, 2:22 pm

MaraMan wrote:I have just bought £5K more in premium bonds. I can only get about 1.5% interest on the money in a deposit account and until now my £10K in PB's has yielded £850 in winnings over the past 5 years, but that started at £1K with annual top ups and prize reinvestments. I can't therefore work out the annual ROI easily, but it seems to me less boring that earning 1.5% in an investment account and you never know one day I might win big!! :lol:
MM


Although 1 in 13 billion is near to zero, it makes that a very big might

MaraMan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 144
Joined: November 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#206024

Postby MaraMan » March 6th, 2019, 5:02 pm

excuse me - 15,000 in 13 billion, or one in 866,667, if you don't mind :lol:

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#206059

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2019, 8:27 pm

MaraMan wrote:I have just bought £5K more in premium bonds. I can only get about 1.5% interest on the money in a deposit account and until now my £10K in PB's has yielded £850 in winnings over the past 5 years, but that started at £1K with annual top ups and prize reinvestments. I can't therefore work out the annual ROI easily, but it seems to me less boring that earning 1.5% in an investment account and you never know one day I might win big!! :lol:

If you use a spread sheet you can work out the XIRR value.

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Boring Premium Bonds

#206060

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2019, 8:31 pm

MaraMan wrote:excuse me - 15,000 in 13 billion, or one in 866,667, if you don't mind :lol:

Or even 15,000 in 13 billion, twelve times a year; therefore one in 72,222 in a year! ;)


Return to “Other Investing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests