Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Select committee recommends scrapping of lifetime ISA and pension LTA

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Select committee recommends scrapping of lifetime ISA and pension LTA

Postby Alaric » August 17th, 2018, 8:31 am

From the link

The committee was also critical of the way the government presents the 25% tax charge on its website about the product, as they argued it appears to show investors will lose their 25% bonus if they take money out early when instead they lose 25% of their capital invested.

https://lifetimeisa.campaign.gov.uk/#Withdrawal_Charge

I'm not surprised that it failed to take off if it can tax investment gains at 25%.

Would they scrap it though? It's no doubt some Civil Servant's pet project as with Lifetime Allowance. We've had a change of Chancellor since its introduction.

Kipling

Postby Kipling » September 10th, 2018, 10:59 am

Hopefully it survives although I can't see it thriving,
I'll happily concede that its an ill-thought through product (having two radically different objectives), and poorly-sold to the market; but I'm treating it can be a useful addition to a pension portfolio when run alongside a SIPP.

The investment clawback element is punitive, but then I guess that it is meant to be.

I can't begin to guess how any government would disentangle and wind-up the scheme, is anyone aware of any precedents?

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 13th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Kipling wrote:I can't begin to guess how any government would disentangle and wind-up the scheme, is anyone aware of any precedents?

Block new money in, then just convert it into a regular ISA. Which admittedly loses them the clawback option. But as everyone has pointed out, the amounts involved to date aren't that great anyway.

Gryff

Return to “Other Investing”