Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investing for teenagers/students

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
Fenix

Investing for teenagers/students

Postby Fenix » July 27th, 2018, 3:44 pm

So Fenix Jr is at Uni and I'm giving him some spends - £50 a week to tide him over.

He's back for the Summer so I've reduced this to £20 as he gets his food anyway here and it's a bit of a kick in the pants to get some work in the holidays.

So I've got £30 a week going spare in my pocket. I'd like to set something up for him for the future - it's not going to change his world but starting now is better than not starting at all.

What would you guys suggest ?

Many Thanks.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Re: Investing for teenagers/students

Postby Chrysalis » July 27th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Either VWRL (Vanguard global ETF) in a Youinvest ISA or Vanguard global equity index fund in a Charles Stanley Direct ISA. Add 20% bonds if you want lower volatility. Or more if the time horizon is less than 5 years.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 27th, 2018, 9:55 pm

The trouble with Jabd2001's sugestion is that the costs of the account are likely to not make sense for small amounts (ie £300).

If you can find a bit more ie £800 then it's a different matter. VWRL would be a good, hands off, choice.

For what it's worth I got my 17 yearold daughter interested in her JISA. She's stunned by the return she has got on SMT and is using the "regular investment" process to cheaply buy some shares in SuperDry.

My 14 yearold son decided to buy some shares in Frontier developments (the company behind the new Jurasic park game). A high risk stratergy if ever I saw one, but he'll learn through the experience.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » July 28th, 2018, 8:30 am

Costs are certainly important. According to monevator.com broker comparison table, both Youinvest and Charles Stanley Direct charge 0.25% platform fee but no additional account fee for ISAs. Youinvest caps the platform fee at £30 for ETFs and charges £1.50 for trades under the regular monthly investment arrangement (£9.95 for ad hoc trades). Fund trades are free with CSD, however they have minimum investment amounts which I can’t remember off hand.
I suggested these brokers specifically because I thought them likely to be among the cheapest for small accounts, and I have personal experience of them.

Fenix

Postby Fenix » July 30th, 2018, 10:43 am

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I shall save up his £20s and look into your ideas.

Return to “Other Investing”