Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Crypto Bubble

How to buy, profit and invest in crypto currencies or NFTs
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Crypto Bubble

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 2nd, 2021, 3:31 pm

The order went through at $50.50. Last of the big spenders.

Matt

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 2nd, 2021, 4:19 pm

NotSure wrote:BTC is not something I would like to be long or short, but both Citi and Ruffer gave it a conditional thumbs up today. It is becoming harder and harder to completely dismiss IMHO, despite the fact that I'd love to.

Kevin O'Leary has invested 3% of his funds in bitcoin, having been cynical on it until very recently:

https://dailyhodl.com/2021/03/02/kevin- ... e-changer/

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 5th, 2021, 7:59 am

I realise that this post won't be read by anyone in their own filter bubble, but apparently some have recently chosen to be paid in bitcoin and to allow other employees to choose the same.

https://www.financemagnates.com/cryptoc ... n-bitcoin/

I thought it might be of interest to those who follow the subject.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » March 5th, 2021, 8:18 am

paid in bitcoin

Sort of. Their salaries are set in the local currency, then converted to bitcoin each pay day. It would take a brave person, and a brave employer, to denote salaries in bitcoin. Big swing up, your employer goes bust, big swing down, you do.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 5th, 2021, 8:33 am

NotSure wrote:Sort of. Their salaries are set in the local currency, then converted to bitcoin each pay day. It would take a brave person, and a brave employer, to denote salaries in bitcoin. Big swing up, your employer goes bust, big swing down, you do.

I think that the bigger problem would be accounting for tax and national insurance. By denoting the salary in £'s that can easily be accounted for and paid.

The risks to THIS employer of swings in the bitcoin price and salaries are significanly muted. It would be like a brewer paying in beer or a farmer allowing the oxen who thresh the corn to eat some. For any who didn't follow the link, the employer mines bitcoin.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » March 5th, 2021, 10:37 am

I think that the bigger problem would be accounting for tax and national insurance

Tim Bond of Odey Asset Management (reported on MarketWatch) has also noticed this - and he calls currency fiat!

.....“....To my mind, bitcoin is a particularly vile asset class.

If bitcoin starts to displace fiat currencies [government-issued currency that is not backed by a commodity], governments’ ability to tax, spend and redistribute will be severely impaired.”

He believes bitcoin could prevent society from functioning in an efficient and ethical manner.

“In this sense, bitcoin is the spearhead of a particularly extreme form of libertarian anarchism, which is presumably why it is so popular in Silicon Valley,” he said....

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 8th, 2021, 11:12 am

When someone purchases Bitcoin, using a site like Coinbase or the like, where does the money that comes out of your bank account to pay for the crypto actually go ?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 8th, 2021, 11:40 am

scotview wrote:When someone purchases Bitcoin, using a site like Coinbase or the like, where does the money that comes out of your bank account to pay for the crypto actually go ?

Where does it go when you buy Euros or Dollars from the Post office?
I don't know for certain the answer to either question, but I would imagine that the answer is not to different.

Something along the lines of, you pay the Postoffice/Coinbase who provide from some float that they keep on hand, They retain a commision and restock that float, paying the provider for the currency.

With Euros they will be paying some bank in Europe, Dollars some bank in the US. Bitcoin? Probably some individual trader, but possibly a miner.

Currency is supposed to be fungible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility
Hence where the bitcoin actually came from is supposed to not matter any more than the Euros or Dollars.

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » March 11th, 2021, 9:12 am

Hi,

Just wondering what exchanges people are using? I'm registered with Binance but my KYC failed and their support are taking ages to resolve it. I'm also with coinjar so can deposit fiat there, buy BTC or ETH etc then transer this to Binance which has a larger offering of coins, but with gas fees so high this costs a fortune. Meanwhile i've been sat here watching coins double up in a day thinking i could have been rich by now lol.

Andy

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 11th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Andy46 wrote:Hi,

Just wondering what exchanges people are using? I'm registered with Binance but my KYC failed and their support are taking ages to resolve it. I'm also with coinjar so can deposit fiat there, buy BTC or ETH etc then transer this to Binance which has a larger offering of coins, but with gas fees so high this costs a fortune. Meanwhile i've been sat here watching coins double up in a day thinking i could have been rich by now lol.

Andy

Can't you use a bureau de change like everyone else does?

GS

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » March 12th, 2021, 12:10 pm

GoSeigen wrote:

Andy

GS

Thats not a crypto exchange is it?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Andy46 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

Andy

GS

Thats not a crypto exchange is it?

Not much of a currency then...

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » March 12th, 2021, 3:36 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Can't you use a bureau de change like everyone else does?

GS

Everyone else doesn't. I hope most Fool's are smarter than that.

seekingbalance
2 Lemon pips

Postby seekingbalance » March 16th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Andy

I think you'll have the same problem transferring BTC or ETH as paying in £s - Binance and Coinbase have to follow the UK money laundering laws for deposits, be it in £s or crypto. Not entirely sure, but I think I saw that when i tried the same as you, and could only deposit £200.

If you can transfer in more in coins, try a non-Ethereum based coin, as it is only Ethereum that has the crazy gas fees. It should not cost all that much to transfer Bitcoin in, and certainly not a non-Etherium based stable coin or indeed any non-Ethereum network coin. Litecoin is one, I think, which I believe is free to transfer. Coinjar may take a fee though. You'd need to check their fees page.

But this whole business of transferring between exchanges, or even wallets, is fraught and open to error, and costs you might not realise.

When I opened my Binance account I really struggled with the facial recognition confirmation. IN the end I got customer services to sort it out, by raising a support ticket. Took about 5 days, not happy, and definitely missed some big raises, not least in Binance own BNB coin, which I bought with my £200 and it doubled before I could buy more. And all, to be fair, driven by complex UK regulation rules, not really Binance, though their face recognition process could certainly be better.

seekingbalance
2 Lemon pips

Postby seekingbalance » March 16th, 2021, 4:09 pm

By the way, Binance (0.1%) is way cheaper than Coinbase (1.5%), and even than Coinbase Pro (0.5%) - all fees based on mere mortals trading less than £500k a week or similar! And if you transact in BNB coins the fee is only 0.08% - but the BNB coin is volatile so it is hard to keep track of what you are paying in £s. I have had to buy a few alt coins using BNB simply because there are sometimes not GBP or USDT pairs.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 16th, 2021, 4:15 pm

I see that BTC fell the other day after:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-indi ... NKBN2B60QP

however it looks like ppl are buying the dip.

Matt

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » March 16th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks. I think i was doing it wrong. I do seem to be able to transfer money in and out of Binance. I think the verification is only for transferring higher amounts. I've raised a support ticket but they keep cancelling them saying they have a high number of enquiries. I'll keep trying but for now i think i'm ok.

thanks

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 20th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Interesting that India are to bring in a law banning ownership of or dealing in cryptocurrencies.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/indi ... 17148.html

Maybe this idea will spread and save a lot of carbon emissions?

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » March 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Interesting that India are to bring in a law banning ownership of or dealing in cryptocurrencies.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/indi ... 17148.html

Maybe this idea will spread and save a lot of carbon emissions?

Most people are just ignoring this, India have said it before. Some countries have already banned it and its more popular than ever. How on earth do you stop people trading what is essentialy a computer code.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » March 21st, 2021, 12:24 pm

. How on earth do you stop people trading what is essentialy a computer code

You could make it harder. You could have internet providers block access to websites where bitcoin is traded. That doesn't stop private transactions of course.

Return to “Crypto and NFTs”