Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Inductive Charging - Is it a Potential Game Changer for Charging Large Vehicles

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Inductive Charging - Is it a Potential Game Changer for Charging Large Vehicles

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 20th, 2022, 2:05 pm

States Test an Electrifying Idea: Roads That Can Recharge Your EV

On two short stretches of road near downtown Detroit, Michigan transportation officials hope to make history.

Over the next two years, they plan to embed technology in the pavement that can charge electric vehicles while they’re being driven.

I have absolutely no idea if this technology will be viable. However, this is a good article as I'd suggest it gets one thinking about the need for possibilities of the future. How are we going to move our large vehicles at zero carbon cost?

Historic Step: All Fifty States Plus D.C. and Puerto Rico Greenlit to Move EV Charging Networks Forward, Covering 75,000 Miles of Highway

President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law provides $5 billion to help States install EV chargers along interstate highways

I've also no idea how this will translate into potential investment opportunities. My initial thoughts are it's worth a look, but at the same time, noting extreme caution.

AiY(D)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inductive Charging - Is it a Potential Game Changer for Charging Large Vehicles

Postby scrumpyjack » November 20th, 2022, 3:21 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:States Test an Electrifying Idea: Roads That Can Recharge Your EV

On two short stretches of road near downtown Detroit, Michigan transportation officials hope to make history.

Over the next two years, they plan to embed technology in the pavement that can charge electric vehicles while they’re being driven.

I have absolutely no idea if this technology will be viable. However, this is a good article as I'd suggest it gets one thinking about the need for possibilities of the future. How are we going to move our large vehicles at zero carbon cost?

Historic Step: All Fifty States Plus D.C. and Puerto Rico Greenlit to Move EV Charging Networks Forward, Covering 75,000 Miles of Highway

President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law provides $5 billion to help States install EV chargers along interstate highways

I've also no idea how this will translate into potential investment opportunities. My initial thoughts are it's worth a look, but at the same time, noting extreme caution.

AiY(D)

and no doubt in 20 years time, when this is commonplace, they will then find that the huge EM fields have caused major health issues and a raft of litigation and liabilities opens up :o

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Inductive Charging - Is it a Potential Game Changer for Charging Large Vehicles

Postby servodude » November 21st, 2022, 1:26 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:States Test an Electrifying Idea: Roads That Can Recharge Your EV

AiY(D)

and no doubt in 20 years time, when this is commonplace, they will then find that the huge EM fields have caused major health issues and a raft of litigation and liabilities opens up :o

I will reserve judgement until I read their proposal enough to understand quite how they intend to do this.
But it does set my spidey sense tingling
Even phone wireless charging needs to be savvy enough to detect foreign objects to avoid letting the magic smoke out.

- sd

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 21st, 2022, 12:09 pm

On two short stretches of road near downtown Detroit, Michigan transportation officials .... plan to embed technology in the pavement that can charge electric vehicles while they’re being driven.

And who is going to pay for the electricity? Is there an electric money tree?

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 21st, 2022, 1:10 pm

This seems to crop up every now and then. The issue is the time the vehicle spends on a coil whilst in motion, and obviously the mahoosive installation cost.

I mean, if you're going to cable massive stretches of roads, surely there is a more direct method of connecting the powerr to an electric vehicle? They do it in Blackpool. And there it is, on a stretch of highway why not have a proper make/break cable connection for freight, cheaper and simpler.

Inductive charging could have a use, but even overnight rest stops would 't charge a truck up enough for the next day, it still has to be a 'top up' or range extension tool.

88V8 wrote:And who is going to pay for the electricity? Is there an electric money tree?

Perhaps you should read the article and find out :)

Drivers would use a phone app or vehicle control to choose whether to accept a charge from a road’s coils. Users would pay for kilowatts the same way they do at an EV charging station, though the system would be free to drivers during test pilots.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 21st, 2022, 1:14 pm

88V8 wrote:

On two short stretches of road near downtown Detroit, Michigan transportation officials .... plan to embed technology in the pavement that can charge electric vehicles while they’re being driven.

And who is going to pay for the electricity? Is there an electric money tree?

V8

In principle there's wasted energy that could be captured by induction - it just takes moving magnets in a coil
- I've seen bike lights that have a magnet on a spring that jiggles enough to do the rear lights (like a linear dynamo)

But If you want to power electric vehicles while they move though?? Trolleybusses are good (we should call them omnidodgems to see if that gets folk excited)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 21st, 2022, 1:18 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I mean, if you're going to cable massive stretches of roads, surely there is a more direct method of connecting the powerr to an electric vehicle?

Swapping the smell of a petrol engine for that of a giant Scalextric brush could have some nostalgic appeal?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 22nd, 2022, 12:10 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
88V8 wrote:And who is going to pay for the electricity? Is there an electric money tree?

Perhaps you should read the article and find out :)
Drivers would use a phone app or vehicle control to choose whether to accept a charge from a road’s coils. Users would pay for kilowatts the same way they do at an EV charging station, though the system would be free to drivers during test pilots.

OK, fair cop, I gave up before that point.

If it were Federally mandated that everyone must drive something like the Sinclair C5, one could probably get a meaningful amount of charge into a battery that size.

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 22nd, 2022, 1:46 pm

88V8 wrote:
If it were Federally mandated that everyone must drive something like the Sinclair C5, one could probably get a meaningful amount of charge into a battery that size.

V8

Ahh yes, the Sinclair. The second worst C5 ever built for the road :)

Return to “Other Investing”