Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Rotation into Value

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Rotation into Value

Postby mc2fool » January 21st, 2022, 9:53 pm

simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:The January sale is now on :)

Yep! Licking my lips at the quality on sale. A good time to be 28% in cash. Very interested in upping my stake in your employer FWIW :)

All the best, Si

I'll bet retailers love you two ... stick up prices for a year then tickle them down a fraction and you guys declare "sale" and get ready to splurge! :D

You‘re mistaking me for someone that is buying the FTSE100. I have no interest in index tracking the UK index, and little interest in UK large caps, only individual small and mid caps that are trading well, have strong balance sheets, and can pass on input inflation to their customers. I did add some Unilever this week though.

I'm sure there are some individual companies around at attractive prices (there more or less always are), but "sale" indicates something much more widespread. After all, you'd be pretty p'd off if a big high street shop had "January Sale" plastered over its windows and you found there were only a half a dozen items going cheaper than normal. ;)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 21st, 2022, 11:00 pm

mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:The January sale is now on :)

Yep! Licking my lips at the quality on sale. A good time to be 28% in cash. Very interested in upping my stake in your employer FWIW :)

All the best, Si

I'll bet retailers love you two ... stick up prices for a year then tickle them down a fraction and you guys declare "sale" and get ready to splurge! :D

You‘re mistaking me for someone that is buying the FTSE100. I have no interest in index tracking the UK index, and little interest in UK large caps, only individual small and mid caps that are trading well, have strong balance sheets, and can pass on input inflation to their customers. I did add some Unilever this week though.

I'm sure there are some individual companies around at attractive prices (there more or less always are), but "sale" indicates something much more widespread. After all, you'd be pretty p'd off if a big high street shop had "January Sale" plastered over its windows and you found there were only a half a dozen items going cheaper than normal. ;)

Well, your interpretation is not what I meant by sale. I was only referring to companies on my watchlist and those I already hold with very specific qualities. There’s a good reason I have cash to deploy; I wasn’t prepared to overpay for the companies at the top of my list.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 21st, 2022, 11:06 pm

simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm sure there are some individual companies around at attractive prices (there more or less always are), but "sale" indicates something much more widespread. After all, you'd be pretty p'd off if a big high street shop had "January Sale" plastered over its windows and you found there were only a half a dozen items going cheaper than normal. ;)

Well, your interpretation is not what I meant by sale. I was only referring to companies on my watchlist and those I already hold with very specific qualities. There’s a good reason I have cash to deploy; I wasn’t prepared to overpay for the companies at the top of my list.

And to be fair, it was TMB that said the "January Sale" is now on, not you, so I probably should have just replied to his post ... ;)

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm sure there are some individual companies around at attractive prices (there more or less always are), but "sale" indicates something much more widespread. After all, you'd be pretty p'd off if a big high street shop had "January Sale" plastered over its windows and you found there were only a half a dozen items going cheaper than normal. ;)

And to be fair, it was TMB that said the "January Sale" is now on, not you, so I probably should have just replied to his post ... ;)

Sure :)

I guess not all shares are quite at bargain basement levels. But many highly cash-generative firms, which were priced at astronomically PEs a short time ago, for example Louis Vuitton, Google, Nvidia, Spirax-Sarco, Croda, Halma, (though there are many more such!) have recently dropped quite markedly.

Now whether they are good value, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you make your choices and you take your chances.

Matt

Return to “Investment Strategies”