Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mixing Multi-Strategy Funds?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Mixing Multi-Strategy Funds?

Postby Aminatidi » March 17th, 2018, 8:02 pm

If you have a chunk to go in multi-asset with some already in RCP would you see a benefit in diversifying with a couple more options such as CGT and HMSF or are you simply creating a "global tracker" by not going 100% RCP as they already have a 3 page portfolio of diversification?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Mixing Multi-Strategy Funds?

Postby Lootman » March 17th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I'd say there is more point to diversifying amongst such types of funds than there would be to diversifying into, say, six UK income funds or six global generalist shares.

And the reason is that these multi-strategy or asset-allocation or absolute return funds often choose very different ways of going about it.

So for instance CGT has always held a lot of debt securities and zeroes. PNL spreads itself over global shares and things like gold, US Treasuries and cash. RCP has a fair wodge in private equity whilst Ruffer had a lot in Japan last time I looked.

So the degree of dispersion in these types of unconstrained funds is greater than in funds that by definition are highly constrained and therefore fishing in the same pool. It is for much of the same reason that I never understood the appeal of Luni's self-styled "baskets" of similar and mostly UK-focused income ITs

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Re: Mixing Multi-Strategy Funds?

Postby Aminatidi » March 18th, 2018, 8:20 am

Yes thanks, makes sense, no point with six different General Smaller Cap funds for example.

Return to “Investment Strategies”