Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

M & M's First Portfolio - Strategy Ideas?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

M & M's First Portfolio - Strategy Ideas?

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 3rd, 2018, 3:15 pm

Hi all,

Our portfolio at present comprises the following (we started investing in March this year, hence the small size!):

Advanced Medical Solutions : 1k
Burford Capital : 1k
Computacenter : 1k
Dominos : 1k
Imperial Brands : 1.2k
Legal & General : 1k
Manx Telecom : 1k
Marshalls : 1k
Morrisons : 1.2k
National Grid : 1.5k
Unilever : 1k

We also have 2.5k in Fidelity Index World Tracker Fund.

We're wondering what strategies any of you would use when disaster strikes (ie the entire market crashes) or when a single stock starts to tank? We've got figures in mind at which to get rid of shares if their price drops due to an individual company struggling for whatever reason (and have made notes of prices at a set date, along with the figures for the corresponding markets at that same date, to be able to see if it's a whole-market drop, rather than simply an individual company thing). We've decided that we would consider cutting our losses if a particular stock were to drop by 20% against our original purchase price. We're also mindful to take into account price drops due to share prices being ex-dividend in order that we don't get overly worried about individual ones and sell unnecessarily.

How have any of you decided what to do in the event of a big crash - e.g. waking up one morning to find that the whole market has dropped and all of your investments are diving? Would you get rid as soon as possible, or would you just leave all alone and wait for recovery? Would you sell half (or whatever) and hope the remaining shares would climb back, given time?

Any info on what others have done (and reasons for doing so) during these situations in the past (e.g. the dotcom crash, the credit crunch of 2007/8) would be useful in helping us to decide on a plan for when the inevitable happens.

Thanks in advance,

Mel :)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: M & M's First Portfolio - Strategy Ideas?

Postby kempiejon » June 3rd, 2018, 5:25 pm

How have any of you decided what to do in the event of a big crash - e.g. waking up one morning to find that the whole market has dropped and all of your investments are diving? Would you get rid as soon as possible, or would you just leave all alone and wait for recovery? Would you sell half (or whatever) and hope the remaining shares would climb back, given time?

Any info on what others have done (and reasons for doing so) during these situations in the past (e.g. the dotcom crash, the credit crunch of 2007/8) would be useful in helping us to decide on a plan for when the inevitable happens.

We know that shares and markets move up and down. If you can use that knowledge to predict which directions shares or markets will go and get some money behind that you're set.
I know I can't know that so market returns looked good enough for me. I started investing in 2000 filling my ISA with index trackers, I moved to individual shares in 2005 and have continued investing monthly ever since, so throughout the CC in 2007/8 I stayed invested and investing. I didn't sell major amounts though then as now I do some value trading. Since my first ISA I've kept investing, I've tried a couple of styles and have been adding new money and reinvesting any dividends thought thick and thin.

My trackers have tracked the market up and down. With a spread of shares I hope to smooth specific losses at a portfolio level and by preferring larger, established blue chips I also hope the companies have a better chance of recovery when bad things happen.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 3rd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Melanie wrote:

Without knowing people's personal situations, then just getting responses to the above questions might now be as instructive as you might hope for....

For instance, I imagine investors might have a different approach if they are still in work and growing their pots, to someone who might be retired and living on their investments, so fleshing out details like that will at least give you some useful context.

I'm still in work and am aiming towards a largely dividend-income-based end-game. Whilst I'm working, I try to maintain a level of cash (roughly 14%) that allows me to stay 'fully invested' with the other 86%, and as dividends and extra new capital become available, I'm quite happy to continue investing so as to roughly maintain that 14% cash level, and plan to do so throughout most market conditions.

I expect that 14% cash level to move from being the largely 'armageddon-fund' that it currently is (and it might also act as an 'opportunity-fund' if something really interesting and compelling cropped up...), to eventually turn into my income-reserve as I think about the possibility of retiring in future years.

I imagine eventually carrying around 2 to 3 times my expected yearly cash-requirements, so there won't need to be much movement from the current 14% level, and I like the idea that a similar lump of cash (or cash equivalent...) can act for different things during my current and future planning...

I'm not a natural 'seller' of investments, and tend to hold on unless something has run away and become overweight, where I may then trim something and rotate that capital into what's usually a better-yielding alternative. I rarely sell complete holdings, but have been known to where the story simply becomes too smelly for me to want it around my portfolio....

Personally, I'd urge a little caution with setting any sort of automatic stop-loss at the 20% level. I think you're still in 'noise-territory' there, to be honest (albeit 'noisy-noise' territory...) and you might find that you end up selling things that quickly turn around (and I get the feeling that you'd 'notice' that, and it might not be a great situation if it were to happen very often...). I try to avoid anything 'automatic' that would lead to selling investments, but if someone were to really twist my arm and make me set a stop-loss like that, I'd at least be looking at the 30% mark to help avoid what might be lots of unnecessary trades.

The above is just my opinion, however, and if I've learnt one single things since starting investing, it's that your own personal 'comfort zone' is the single most important thing to find and maintain. Get that right and everything else will fall into place...

The very best of luck with your endeavours...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 3rd, 2018, 6:12 pm

Melanie wrote:We're wondering what strategies any of you would use when disaster strikes (ie the entire market crashes) or when a single stock starts to tank? We've got figures in mind at which to get rid of shares if their price drops due to an individual company struggling for whatever reason (and have made notes of prices at a set date, along with the figures for the corresponding markets at that same date, to be able to see if it's a whole-market drop, rather than simply an individual company thing). We've decided that we would consider cutting our losses if a particular stock were to drop by 20% against our original purchase price. We're also mindful to take into account price drops due to share prices being ex-dividend in order that we don't get overly worried about individual ones and sell unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance,

Mel :)

Regarding market crashes, my approach has always to do nothing. Usually you come out at the other end relatively unscathed, probably having been able to add to some of the holdings at attractive prices.

Note that ITs have been relatively unaffected in terms of dividend payments, thanks to their revenue reserves, which have allowed them to continue to pay dividends, or even increase them, at such times.

With individual shares, my actions are predicated by what happens to their dividends. If they stop paying them with little prospect of a resumption, then it is time to say farewell, but usually waiting until after the collective knees have stopped jerking allows the exit to be made at a better price level. That didn't work with Carillion. If it is obvious that the halt to dividends is going to be a short term effect, then I usually hang on, but don't add to the holding until the resumtion of dividends has been announced.

I keep a spreadsheet of my holdings, with them ranked by capital value. This fluctuates a lot, with some holdings marching up the table and some sliding back. I also keep a list of holdings with the chnage in share price since the start of the year. Often what went down comes back up. This is the current state of play:

Epic   Change  
PSON 21.63%
INDV 17.83%
TSCO 17.51%
GSK 15.15%
BA. 13.93%
BLT 13.90%
SGRO 11.99%
BP. 10.33%
RIO 8.88%
SMDS 8.68%
RDSB 7.55%
S32 6.93%
AZN 5.86%
SSE 3.26%
AV. 2.11%
ULVR 0.50%
WMH 0.31%
CPG -0.22%
DGE -0.33%
LGEN -0.62%
BLND -1.49%
TATE -3.58%
ADM -4.25%
NG. -5.34%
UU. -5.87%
LLOY -6.92%
TW. -8.09%
MKS -9.59%
KGF -9.68%
IMI -11.48%
MARS -11.60%
IMB -14.34%
RB. -16.53%
VOD -17.06%
BATS -23.76%
BT.A -24.14%
CLLN -100.00%

I also keep the data for the previous years:

.      2014              2015               2016             2017
Epic Change Epic Change Epic Change Epic Change
UU. 36.41% TW. 47.39% S32 207.62% INDV 37.81%
AZN 27.44% REX 33.21% BLT 71.91% TW. 34.46%
INDV @ 24.50% IMT 26.46% PFL * 67.45% DGE 29.15%
TW. 23.59% INDV 25.70% INDV 57.72% IMI 28.17%
BLND 23.53% ADM 25.49% RDSB 52.56% SGRO 28.14%
IMT 21.30% SMDS 23.20% BP. 43.95% SMDS 26.81%
SSE 18.39% RB. 20.56% RIO @ 42.12% S32 25.54%
NG. 16.51% BT.A 17.48% TSCO 38.36% ULVR 25.30%
CPG 13.75% SGRO 15.96% CPG 27.74% RIO 24.81%
SGRO 10.87% MARS 15.95% BATS 22.55% VOD 17.59%
MKS 10.68% ULVR 11.36% IMI 20.72% BLT 16.53%
RB. 8.70% WMH 9.24% BA. 18.39% AZN 15.40%
BA. 8.51% BATS 7.74% TATE 18.11% WMH 10.96%
BATS 8.09% CPG 6.71% LGEN @ 15.33% LGEN 10.38%
AV. 7.74% AV. 6.50% GSK 13.77% BLND 9.85%
RSA * 6.74% BA. 5.85% DGE 13.65% ADM 9.58%
ULVR 5.88% UU. 2.13% ULVR 12.51% BATS 8.58%
BT.A 5.82% NG. 2.11% PSON 11.21% LLOY 8.41%
MARS 0.00% AZN 1.34% ADM 10.13% CPG 6.60%
RDSB -2.06% BLND 1.16% RB. 9.63% RDSB 6.56%
SMDS -3.01% DGE 0.43% SGRO 6.68% AV. 4.13%
LLOY -3.88% GSK -0.22% KGF 6.31% BP. 2.57%
VOD -6.05% TATE -0.66% REX * 4.90% TSCO 1.16%
DGE -7.58% VOD -0.74% SMDS 2.87% RB. 0.48%
WMH -9.80% KGF -3.23% SSE 1.64% TATE -0.64%
PSON -11.26% LLOY -3.63% NG. 1.50% BA. -3.13%
KGF -11.49% MKS -5.51% IMB -1.23% KGF -3.60%
ADM -12.39% SSE -5.80% UU. -3.69% UU. -7.94%
REX -14.46% BP. -13.87% AZN -3.88% NG. -8.04%
GSK -14.61% TSCO -20.90% AV. -5.74% MKS -10.06%
BP. -15.79% RDSB -30.90% VOD -9.57% PSON -10.08%
IMI -17.18% IMI -31.79% LLOY -14.08% IMB -10.63%
PFL -20.76% PSON -38.15% MARS -18.32% SSE -15.00%
TATE -25.46% PFL -44.32% BLND -19.91% GSK -15.33%
BLT -25.71% BLT -45.26% CLLN @ -20.03% MARS -17.28%
TSCO -43.47% S32 @ -49.52% BT.A -22.22% BT.A -25.95%
MKS -22.63% CLLN -92.69%
TW. -24.42%
WMH -26.72%

* indicates that a share was sold during the year, while @ indicatesd that it has been bought during the year.

What you will notice is how the leaders and laggards change positions from year to year. I consider everythikng to be relative. If a share rises to a certain level above the median holding value, then I will trim it back, and those with higher yields and lower values are likely to be topped up.

Currently I have INDV with zero yield and CLLN as a defunct share in the list. INDV is likely to be sold during the next month, as I have an expensive cruise to pay for. I have been holding it as it has shown a useful capital gain of late, but it's not earning its keep.

TJH

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » June 3rd, 2018, 6:17 pm

Melanie wrote:.....

In the event of a 'crash', I would do absolutely nothing. Hoping, of course, for a recovery in due course. If I had some spare cash I might even add. If you can't handle a 'crash', then should you be in the stock market at all?

I was not significantly invested at the dotcom period, but was lucky enough to start at the tail end of that crash. The credit crunch period was just a 'blip' - deep (40% fall) but short-lived - recovering within about 2 years. There have been several more recent 'corrections' since - the deepest being about 20% in 2014-5 - but all short lived (for simplicity, I just refer to the FT100 index). Others will be able to give you chapter and verse.

No guarantees for the future of course, but hanging in there seems to work. If you expect any serious call on your capital in the near future, then you should of course take appropriate steps now.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 3rd, 2018, 6:35 pm

Regarding the "how does it feel" question can I suggest you go cruising around Bogleheads and take a read. Here are some places/threads to start with:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 10&t=79939
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 0&t=129142

Setting 20% stop-losses may work for you, but wouldn't for me. There are many paths to heaven.

regards, dspp

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 3rd, 2018, 8:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Personally, I'd urge a little caution with setting any sort of automatic stop-loss at the 20% level. I think you're still in 'noise-territory' there, to be honest (albeit 'noisy-noise' territory...) and you might find that you end up selling things that quickly turn around (and I get the feeling that you'd 'notice' that, and it might not be a great situation if it were to happen very often...). I try to avoid anything 'automatic' that would lead to selling investments, but if someone were to really twist my arm and make me set a stop-loss like that, I'd at least be looking at the 30% mark to help avoid what might be lots of unnecessary trades.

Thanks for the cautionary warning. We've not set any automatic stop-losses. We've simply made a note of some figures that the shares would need to reach before we started to keep an eye on them a little more. I don't think we'd fare well leaving it up to an automatic system to sell on our behalf - I'm sure we'd end up getting in a panic far too frequently and would be adjusting the sell price all the time, just in case we'd made a mistake. Too much over thinking for our liking!

Thanks again,

Mel

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 4th, 2018, 8:40 pm

dspp wrote:Regarding the "how does it feel" question can I suggest you go cruising around Bogleheads and take a read. Here are some places/threads to start with:

Setting 20% stop-losses may work for you, but wouldn't for me. There are many paths to heaven.

regards, dspp

Thanks dspp, we'd appreciate your thoughts on the following, if you have the time.........

Regarding stop-losses, how do you personally deal with individual shares diving? We've not set up any automatic stop-losses, but we've merely made a note of the price at which a share will have dropped by 20%, in order that we would then look into why it was falling, and then decide if we still wanted to hold or keep a closer eye on it.

What would you do if one of your shares fell by 35 - 40% for example?

Have read The Art Of Execution......this suggests that an assassin approach would be to sell when shares are falling anywhere between 20 - 33%. We appreciate that this approach might be better suited to traders rather than long-term investors, but surely there must be a cut-off point at which to get rid and invest the money elsewhere in shares that are performing better?

Thanks again,

Mel

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 5th, 2018, 11:33 am

Melanie wrote:
dspp wrote:Regarding the "how does it feel" question can I suggest you go cruising around Bogleheads and take a read. Here are some places/threads to start with:

regards, dspp

Thanks dspp, we'd appreciate your thoughts on the following, if you have the time.........

Regarding stop-losses, how do you personally deal with individual shares diving? We've not set up any automatic stop-losses, but we've merely made a note of the price at which a share will have dropped by 20%, in order that we would then look into why it was falling, and then decide if we still wanted to hold or keep a closer eye on it.

Have read The Art Of Execution......this suggests that an assassin approach would be to sell when shares are falling anywhere between 20 - 33%. We appreciate that this approach might be better suited to traders rather than long-term investors, but surely there must be a cut-off point at which to get rid and invest the money elsewhere in shares that are performing better?

Thanks again,

Mel

1. Stop losses. I have none set.

2. If an individual share dived 35-40% then I probably wouldn't notice for 2-3 months unless it was one of my three medium term share plays, in which case I'd notice within a day. So the 30-35 long term shares would have gone way past the point of quick-reaction action before I noticed. That is simply down to my work/lifestyle which means I cannot operate a trading strategy and so I don't try to pretend I can. Re the three medium term plays it would depend on the circumstances.

3. See my annual reviews. I have held stocks till they were wound up, CLN. I'm not saying it is a good thing, just that I don't operate a short term trading strategy and so I build my portfolio to suit the medium/long-term strategy that I can operate. There are in fact good arguments to have a never-sell strategy, just that you see them put forwards less frequently. I held right through the .com crash. Was it a good call - that depends on the circumstances and I was fully occupied with other things at the time.

If you want to discuss short term trading approaches to life I am the wrong person to ask. Others around here are better suited to help you. But also read Sun Tzu: first know yourself.

regards, dspp

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 5th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Melanie wrote:Regarding stop-losses, how do you personally deal with individual shares diving? We've not set up any automatic stop-losses, but we've merely made a note of the price at which a share will have dropped by 20%, in order that we would then look into why it was falling, and then decide if we still wanted to hold or keep a closer eye on it.

For me, it depends not only on how much the share has dived, but also how much whatever news has caused the dive affects my assessment of the company's prospects. E.g. if the shares have dived 40% but I reckon its prospects have dived 70%, then my assessment of its value is down to 30% of what it was and its price down to 60% of what it was, so I'll assess it as offering 30%/60% = 0.5 times as good value for money as it used to, which (unless my original assessment of its value for money was amazingly high) will mean that I expect to do better by selling and redeploying the money elsewhere. If on the other hand they've dived the same 40% and I reckon its prospects have dived only 25%, the same calculation says that I now assess it as offering 75%/60% = 1.25 times as good value for money as it used to, so it would be silly to sell and buy elsewhere, and it might even result in my selling something else to buy more of the share that has dived. So a 40% drop could result in my decision being anything from a highly likely sale to a very definite hold and possible top-up.

So basically, my answer to your "What would you do if..." question is look for the reasons for the fall, then reassess the share in the light of those reasons (or of my failure to find them), then decide what to do as a result of the reassessment. What I won't do is reckon that although I haven't found reasons, they must be there anyway and so I'd better sell. Basically, I want to run my own portfolio, not have other people run it for me - and in the absence of any other identifiable reason, selling because the price has dived is effectively selling because lots of other people are selling. Yes, that will occasionally be a mistake because there is a good reason for the selling but I've missed it; equally, doing the opposite will occasionally be a mistake because I've allowed myself to be panicked out of an excellent share by what other people are doing... My current largest holding is such a share - a very rough account of the holding history is: I originally bought it in 2006, then it doubled in price from my original buying price for about a year, then it dived by about 5/6ths for about another year (so down to about 1/3rd of my original purchase price). I decided to top it up, and it's since been up to nearly 6 times my original purchase price. There were also some top-ups during the initial doubling, and as a result the average purchase price of all those early purchases is slightly below my initial purchase price. So basically, if I'd sold during the dive, I might have lost half my expenditure on those early purchases, and by not doing so, I've instead gained about 5 times it. So in the case of that particular holding, not making the mistake of selling because the price has dived has gained me about 10 times as much as making the mistake of not doing so would have done if things had turned out differently.

I should say that that's a pretty extreme example of how bad a mistake selling because the price has dived can be, and the most spectacular one in my personal experience. But I have encountered a fair number of others - enough that I'm reasonably convinced that a policy of selling because the price has dived when I cannot identify any sufficiently good other reasons for selling is of little or negative value. Also, in view of the fact that I normally post mainly about HYPs, I should add that the share concerned is a smallcap and definitely not a HYP share. And possibly also that that the account above only takes the story up to about 2014 - since then, the share has oscillated quite a lot in price (down to about twice my original purchase price, up to nearly 6 times it, and currently on about 4.4 times it) and I've done some top-slices and top-ups that amount to some profitable medium-term trading in the share. The net result of all that is that I've so far had about 1.5 times as much total cash out of the holding (as dividends and sale proceeds) as I've put into it (for purchases), and it's still my biggest holding...

Finally, an important warning: hanging on to a diving share does involve highly-variable outcomes, with both further falls and a failure to recover from them and subsequent multi-bagging being considerably more likely than for a share that is behaving itself. I.e. it carries much higher risk, and so should only be done if you can take that risk in your stride. I can - but I generally keep the amount of original capital I put into any one holding down to a fairly small percentage of my total original capital. That includes not allowing myself to be tempted into topping up a share that has dived to have had too much original capital invested in it in total, even if my reassessment of it says that it's better value than ever. Basically, one of the biggest risks I must accept from my decision to run my own portfolio is that I might be wrong, and the main way to mitigate that risk is not to put too much of the money I have available for investment at risk of my assessments of one share being wrong...

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 5th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Forget the drama of bogleheads posts, (with great respect to dspp). Gengulphus has as usual written a lot of common sense in my opinion. In a general market rout there is no point in doing anything; just hang in. With an individual share, there is usually an identifiable reason for a sudden fall and it is for you to decide how to react. I think in fact that often falls of individual shares can be foreseen, sometimes by an unreasonably large yield and sometimes as in the case of the supermarkets, by a sector problem.

My advice is to get into the habit of following your individual shares very carefully (read Annual Reports, RNS's by the company and analyst comment). It follows that you do not want to have a very large portfolio. 25/30 shares is quite enough to get a spread (diversity) without getting diworsity.

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 5th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone.......

think we agree with the idea of monitoring shares individually and when such drops happen, investigate further and hope we make the right decision. Obviously we can't all be right all of the time, but hopefully being right some of the time will be enough. ;)

Once again, thanks to everyone, you're all very helpful.

Mel

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 6th, 2018, 9:54 am

Moderator Message:
Fools have requested that this thread be moved to its natural home in "Investment Strategies" board. A copy of it will be left locked on the "Share Ideas" board. The original poster (Melanie of the M&Ms) has been consulted and is supportive of the move. Please post all your helpful comments at the new location:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12069
regards, dspp

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 7th, 2018, 12:16 pm

simoan wrote:What you describe is a known winning investment strategy, what M&M will know from reading The Art of Execution as "Hunter/Connoisseur" behaviour.

Indeed Mel has just read that book, and spoon fed it to me.

Which is why we were curious, that some here, did not endorse the "Assassin" behaviour, of selling a losing stock which is currently trading at less than a minimum (e.g. -20% of -30% of your purchase price), a behaviour which the above book encourages.

Citing the need to do "further market research" oneself, and to not sell (at any cost) unless other evidence suggested a genuine fall in value. Which seems reasonable. A quick "knee-jerk" style of sale does seem sub-optimal in many cases.

However, after reading a lot of the replies received we actually wondered if the books "The Art of Execution" and another we have called "The Naked Trader" are much more aimed at full-time traders (i.e. making a quick buck on value trades, i.e. riding the up-down wave of a price) than actually long-term investors with busy day jobs. And so for this reason, most of the fools we spoke to refrained to frequent sales, and seemed to ignore the assassin pattern and favour the buy and hold style - maybe?

Sound about right?

Matt

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 7th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Melanie wrote:However, after reading a lot of the replies received we actually wondered if the books "The Art of Execution" and another we have called "The Naked Trader" are much more aimed at full-time traders (i.e. making a quick buck on value trades, i.e. riding the up-down wave of a price) than actually long-term investors with busy day jobs. And so for this reason, most of the fools we spoke to refrained to frequent sales, and seemed to ignore the assassin pattern and favour the buy and hold style.

Sound about right?

Matt

Not in the case of The Art of Execution, no. I think you probably need to read it yourself, but it's pretty clear from the time periods mentioned in the examples given in each section that this is not aimed at short-term trading. Even the Assassins hold for long periods before selling. Ask Mel!

All the best, Si

Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pastcaring » June 7th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Put it all down to the insanity of the human race.Convincing themselves to buy high and sell low.Must be in a constant state of sheer panic.

Trading makes money for brokers etc.Take a look at a BP chart,probably done nothing this century,yet,from 60p a share in 1988 to around 580p now.When would you say the time to buy them was,every time the price goes up,or when the price goes down?.

Now Google a chart for CBA,a. large bank in the country I live in ( Australia ).

Floated in 1991 by the govt.Price $5.40. By 2000 around $33 a share .The tech wreck hit late so by March 2003 down to $23. The large rise in the run up to the GFC took them to $62.

The crash took them down to around $27 ish by March 2009. Sideways for a while until a run up to $96 by April ish 2015,a crash down to around $70 ish 18 months later.Then a rise to $83 ish .Then a crash again to the present price of around $70.

So the whole journey over the period takes you from $5.40 to $70.Dividends paid every year,only one year when divi took an approx 15% cut,2009.

Divi has gone from 40 cents a share in 1991 to $4.30 now.When would you say the price to buy was,after a 30% rise,or a 30% fall.

Reinvesting all dividends means $5400 is now around $300000.

That wonderful Buffett quote,when you have a decent company put your hands u under your [expletive deleted] and sit on them,it stops you from doing anything stupid.

I don' t know how how quickly your share holding doubles in the UK ,but down here around 12 yrs.Using the BP example then 10,000 shares in 1988 cost 6300 quid.Say 15 yrs to double so 10,000 shares doubles twice Now you have 40000 shares worth say 230000 quid,find out what the dividend income is on 40,000 shares

Keep as far away from the herd as possible,and think for yourself.If reading books made you rich would librarians not be the wealthiest people in the world?.

If experts made you rich would they not be doing it for themselves rather than trying to get people to pay for their advice.

Good luck

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 7th, 2018, 2:16 pm

The Art of Execution and writing about assassins and so on. This is actually altogether much easier to read than do (and no doubt to write about) I would if I were Mel and Matt keep well away from this book for the moment and take on board at least some of the comments by Pastcaring. They may sound cynical but there is a lot of truth in them.

In fact for someone in the early stages of investing, I would buy a couple of Investment trusts and if the mood takes you (and of course the finances) half a dozen individual shares and then sit on your hands for at least six months, irrespective of what happens in the market and do nothing except monitor the prices and any developments. Take your time before you do anything else and get a feel for how the stockmarket works, how it reacts to news, how a share price moves with the news and so on. Investing with any degree of success takes time and experience and that is something you cannot buy or learn from books (or from studying and analysing company accounts)

It is worthwhile reading books on investment and I think the Art of Execution (despite its horrible title) is very good but you need I think to have some experience to get anything worthwhile from it. Actually going back to Peter Lynch is probably a better place to start.

Dod

LooseCannon101
Lemon Slice

Postby LooseCannon101 » June 7th, 2018, 2:50 pm

I am a great believer in investment diversity - both company and country for an equity portfolio. A boring strategy e.g. monthly buying and holding a world equity fund and re-investing dividends has worked for me over the past 20 years. The fund should contain real company shares and not just IOU's (a synthetic ETF) issued by a counterparty e.g. a bank.

I wouldn't buy individual company shares as it is usually more trouble than it is worth. There is nothing to protect oneself from market turmoil, just the discipline to keep up the monthly purchase of a highly-diversified fund. In the long run, the discipline will pay off.

I have achieved returns of 9% per annum on average despite the dot-com and banking crises. I always budget to have enough cash for living expenses so that I am never a forced seller.

Good luck!

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 7th, 2018, 7:05 pm

To all recent posts. We read the book (The Art of Execution) because it was recommended by several here.

And yes, one of our objectives here was to raise one of two points mentioned in it and see what people thought, and gauge whether or not anything the book had said was vaguely relevant/useful.

However, we are also reasonably sane, rational, free-willed, often times cynical folk too. We never did think that reading a quick book lead to a big suitcase stuffed full of gold!

We will keep doing what are doing, reading, listening and soaking up all we hear/see and then apply our own judgement/views onto that information.

M&M

Muddywaters
Lemon Pip

Postby Muddywaters » June 8th, 2018, 7:33 am

LooseCannon101 wrote:I am a great believer in investment diversity - both company and country for an equity portfolio. A boring strategy e.g. monthly buying and holding a world equity fund and re-investing dividends has worked for me over the past 20 years

I wouldn't buy individual company shares as it is usually more trouble than it is worth.

Couldn’t agree more. For most people this is the correct course of action. All workdtracker and keep pumping money in.

Return to “Investment Strategies”