Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PEY or PEYS?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
monabri
Lemon Half

PEY or PEYS?

Postby monabri » June 8th, 2018, 5:54 pm

I see that Princess Private Equity comes in two flavours, PEY being the euro (original) version and PEYS the sterling version.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of holding PEY compared to PEYS?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: PEY or PEYS?

Postby genou » June 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

monabri wrote:I see that Princess Private Equity comes in two flavours, PEY being the euro (original) version and PEYS the sterling version.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of holding PEY compared to PEYS?

You will have FX charges to buy and hold PEY.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » June 12th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I don't think the Sterling version was available when I first invested in PEY; there's been no issue with owning the EUR denominated version in my Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP.

Perhaps worth posting that this is my single best investment, ever.

MP

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » June 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm

mickeypops wrote:I don't think the Sterling version was available when I first invested in PEY; there's been no issue with owning the EUR denominated version in my Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP.

Perhaps worth posting that this is my single best investment, ever.

MP

Check your dividend statements. I can't believe HL aren't having you for FX costs on every dividend unless you have an account that allows you to hold €. The underlying security is ISIN GG00B28C2R28, and the £ and € shares are merely denominations of this. I too originally held PEY, but swapped them for PEYS to avoid the FX hit - this should be a cost free transaction, since you are not changing the underlying, just the denomination.

It's done pretty well for me too.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » June 13th, 2018, 8:08 am

Thanks Genou. There’s a 28c divi due next month, I’ll keep a close eye on the exchange rate I get charged...

MP

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 13th, 2018, 8:27 am

Hello everyone, first post so here goes!

I hold both, PEY & PEYS.

PEY has been amongst my best performing stocks and real bonus for income.

I bought back in the bad old day with a large discount to NAV. Alongside a number of 2nd hand VCT's.

I recently started adding PEYS to my partners portflio, mainly as a lower risk strategy, and in my absence, if that ever happened, currency it's one less thing for her to have to worry about.

Given the international nature of the holdings currency risk will always be there.

I will be buying more PEYS for her, if and when opportunities arise.

I don't like buying PE or VCT's at this point in a bull market as my chosen stratgy is to buy them when there is blood on the streets.

For the moment I think PEYS offers reasonable value in a difficult market.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » July 18th, 2018, 2:29 pm

mickeypops wrote:Thanks Genou. There’s a 28c divi due next month, I’ll keep a close eye on the exchange rate I get charged...

MP

Ref the above: I received the 28c dividend earlier this week from my PEY shares; HL transacted it to £0.24469, at an exchange rate of 1.14429. I'm interested to learn what GBP rate per share you rate from your PEYS holding.

Thanks

MP

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Postby tramrider » July 18th, 2018, 11:18 pm

mickeypops wrote:
mickeypops wrote:Thanks Genou. There’s a 28c divi due next month, I’ll keep a close eye on the exchange rate I get charged...

MP

Ref the above: I received the 28c dividend earlier this week from my PEY shares; HL transacted it to £0.24469, at an exchange rate of 1.14429. I'm interested to learn what GBP rate per share you rate from your PEYS holding.

Thanks

MP

I think mine are also PEY shares. Selftrade is more stingy than HL and converted it to £0.242874 for me. They like to pocket a few odd pennies here and there. :(

Tramrider

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 21st, 2018, 5:36 pm

mickeypops wrote:

MP

Thanks

MP

Well that's me hoist with my own petard. I assume the rate for PEYS comes from Princess, since both Selftrade and AJBell agree that the DPS was .242874 . You suffer no other charges than the rate ?

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » July 22nd, 2018, 11:13 am

genou wrote:
mickeypops wrote:

MP

Thanks

MP

Well that's me hoist with my own petard. I assume the rate for PEYS comes from Princess, since both Selftrade and AJBell agree that the DPS was .242874 . You suffer no other charges than the rate ?

Nope, no other charges. The amount quoted was a straightforward division of the GBP amount paid into my account by the number of shares held.

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » December 24th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I thought I'd add to this old thread.

I hold PEYS.L in my Selftrade and H-L ISAs. I tried to buy PEYS in my Youinvest (A J Bell) SIPP yesterday. Computer said "No".

My enquiry to AJB got the response:

"For this investment we only trade PEY.L which is the Euro denomination. This is because this is the 'home listing' and has the most volume for trading."

I've read the thread above with regard to exchange rates etc. One other thing is apparent to me that gives a (one-off) advantage to PEY.L: there seems to be a much tighter bid/offer spread offered, presumably due to increased volume of PEY.L.

Any comments from holders of either or both?

DiviLuvva

Return to “Investment Strategies”