Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Article on passive investing

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Article on passive investing

Postby SalvorHardin » July 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm

The thing is that the US Fool, whilst it has to make a living (hence the advisory services and tipshets), does have some good writers. I've been on TMF USA since before TMF UK existed, and even today many articles are much more than a bit of padding to push tipsheets.

I've been getting one of the TMF USA tipsheets; Stock Adviser, for over a decade. The best thing is its dedicated boards and news service, which helps me keep up with several of my major shareholding. The annual cost is something like $150 to $200, which is a tiny sum for me. They are helped, compared to TMF UK, by America having a culture which is much more favourable towards investment and some economies of scale

My performance over the past twenty years beats the indexes by a substantial amount, and Stock Adviser keeps throwing up a lot of company names for me to look into (the vast majority of which I reject, mostly because I am not confident in assessing the company's moat and future markets).

People should bear in mind that the target market for TMF articles is the relatively inexperienced investor, not those of us with 30+ years investing experience and advanced financial qualifications. That said even though I fall into this category I often find interesting stuff in TMF USA articles.

One of the best TMF writers was Morgan Housel, who was hired by a venture capital fund a couple of years ago. His articles are linked below.

https://www.fool.com/author/1611/index.aspx

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 9th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I am most certainly not prejudiced one way or the other but the article did not make much sense to me and I could not understand what it was getting at. If it has no point, except maybe a commercial punt then I guess I am right, but technically I am at a loss to see or understand what it is trying to tell me. I am glad I am not alone in that.

Dod

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » July 9th, 2018, 7:49 pm

I actually find it logical, and one of the reasons I prefer 'quality' as an investment strategy.

Return to “Investment Strategies”