Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

LifeStrategy Like Funds?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Re: LifeStrategy Like Funds?

Postby Aminatidi » November 13th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:If your investments are in a tax shelter you can rebalance yourself, but there may be costs in time and dealing charges. Rebalancing by using modest cash inflows and outflows does not do much if the stock market value halves overnight. If you are outside a tax shelter rebalancing may also involve paying Capital Gains Tax.

Rebalancing is not always good. If the stock market falls and keeps falling you keep buying more of the falling asset. That is good if the stock market recovers before you need the money, but bad if it does not.

I confess that I thought that the appeal of LifeStrategy to many was that it DOES rebalance for you. You seem to be arguing that the OP should reconsider their intentions rather than the merrits of alternatives to LifeStrategy.

If we go down that route then the likes of Ruffer or Capital Gearing spring to mind. They actively chose their investments based upon their opinion of the market. I understand that currently they are mostly in bonds, though in the past they have had a high equity component. I wouldn't describe them as "LifeStrategy Like" though, as in the title of the thread.

Here is a link to a article about defensive trusts, however NON of them are like LifeStrategy.
https://www.moneyobserver.com/trusts-sh ... ear-market
They also have higher charges.

That's the route I went down. Essentially equities and a combination of Capital Gearing, Ruffer, and Personal Assets as an active but hopefully "safe" portion of "stuff".

I know they shift their allocations but ultimately I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the principle of "keep buying 20% of shite because that's the funds mandate" if you see what I mean.

Return to “Investment Strategies”