Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Should I top-slice any of our Marshalls holdings?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Should I top-slice any of our Marshalls holdings?

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » April 3rd, 2019, 7:34 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I probably now need some LTBH people to chastise me and say this is silly, and if I'm really confident in the firm (I am), then I should just hang in and accept it will go up and down with the passage of time. Help needed. Matt.

I am not LTBH, being more of a trader but I only sell when

a) there is another share that will do better
b) the switch will increase my dividend income in the short to medium to long term
c) my trading costs are minimised

I won't chastise you either way (and I don't know Marshalls at all) but I would hang on in there as any switch you are thinking of making does not meet my 3 criteria.

Probably very hard to find suitable candidate in a hurry!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 3rd, 2019, 9:04 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
I'm very tempted to set a sell order tomorrow at say 642p for about £500's worth. Thing is then I lose 1% (£5 sell fee). Then I when I next add funds (April 8th) that £500 goes towards another holding in something...

Is there a reason that you'll consider the 1% loss for a selling fee, but not consider any potential re-purchase costs as a loss too?

As a round-trip to get that capital out of one investment and into another, I'd have thought it better to consider the sale and repurchase costs in any calculations, even if it's only a portion of the next purchase-cost, if this £500 would be lumped in with a separate lump of capital....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » April 4th, 2019, 6:07 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
I'm very tempted to set a sell order tomorrow at say 642p for about £500's worth. Thing is then I lose 1% (£5 sell fee). Then I when I next add funds (April 8th) that £500 goes towards another holding in something...

Is there a reason that you'll consider the 1% loss for a selling fee, but not consider any potential re-purchase costs as a loss too?

As a round-trip to get that capital out of one investment and into another, I'd have thought it better to consider the sale and repurchase costs in any calculations, even if it's only a portion of the next purchase-cost, if this £500 would be lumped in with a separate lump of capital....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I know. Point taken. I need to shut up and hold on! :lol:

An earlier poster mentioned a stop loss set and that stirred the trader beasties within.

I must continue to develop my self control!

Thanks Matt

PLS1nve5t

Postby PLS1nve5t » April 4th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Had a quick look at their chart and there seems to be good support at around the 600 mark, raise the stop to 595.....

Return to “Investment Strategies”