Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Smiths Group (SMIN): demerger: to hold or not to hold...?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Smiths Group (SMIN): demerger: to hold or not to hold...?

Postby yorkshirelad1 » April 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm

SMIN announced their demerger at the time of their results on 22 March, demerging the medical:
https://www.smiths.com/investors/result ... sentations

What is the view of the group on the virtue of staying put and receiving the two (FTSE250) new entities
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/medi ... -3553qqls2
or taking the money and do something else with it.

I have a holding (standing at a profit) and am tempted to take the money and run, not wanting to be left with two entities, and rather handily having the gain covered by an existing loss and the annual CGT allowance.

TIA

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Smiths Group (SMIN): demerger: to hold or not to hold...?

Postby PinkDalek » April 3rd, 2019, 4:51 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:I have a holding (standing at a profit) and am tempted to take the money and run, not wanting to be left with two entities, and rather handily having the gain covered by an existing loss and the annual CGT allowance.

'We' are probably likely to continue to hold, as we see no difficulty in having (long term) holdings in the two. Like you 'we' have capital losses available but don't wish to let the tax dog wag the tail. Not that it has been the best investment over the decades!

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: Smiths Group (SMIN): demerger: to hold or not to hold...?

Postby BusyBumbleBee » April 3rd, 2019, 7:11 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:I have a holding (standing at a profit) and am tempted to take the money and run, not wanting to be left with two entities, and rather handily having the gain covered by an existing loss and the annual CGT allowance.TIA

I would be reluctant to use up my existing loss on this, but using the annual CGT allowance could be good if you are to have no other gains next year (I assume the cash will not come in this tax year).

Selling shares is cheap (buying new ones less so). So unless you have somewhere better to put the money I would hang on in there

Return to “Investment Strategies”