Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to ExFM,ErroneousBee,GSVsowhat,Shelford,Hypster, for Donating to support the site

Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
dspp
Lemon Half
Posts: 6538
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 5432 times
Been thanked: 1921 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#353338

Postby dspp » November 4th, 2020, 10:03 am

funduffer wrote:
richfool wrote:For anyone interested in Next Energy Solar Fund (NESF),- Operating Update:
NESF is pleased to announce that generation for the first half of this financial year has significantly exceeded budget. For the period ending 30 September 2020, generation from NESF's portfolio was 11.1% above budget (2019: 5.0%), while irradiation has exceeded expectations by 10.8% (2019: 4.8%). The Company has reaffirmed its full-year dividend target of 7.05p for financial year ending 31 March 2021 (2019: 6.87p).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/nextenerg ... 00033959D/


Thanks for this, I recently took a small holding in NESF.

I interpret "irradiation has exceeded expectations" as meaning we had a sunny spring!


All of the year has been fairly good apart from July (average) and August (bad).

regards, dspp

Image

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#353538

Postby richfool » November 4th, 2020, 9:25 pm

An article about a fund that invests in this sector, - Gravis Clean Energy. It's holdings include both TRIG, JLEN and NESF:
Gravis Clean Energy: March crash shows need to go global
By Jeremy Gordon 17 Aug, 2020
March’s coronavirus crash has highlighted how divergent opportunities in renewable energy can be in different parts of the world, according to Gravis fund manager Will Argent.
His Clean Energy Income fund, launched in December 2017, has more than doubled in size this year from £51m at the end of December to around £120m on 11 August, as investor demand for sustainable investing has spiked.

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-insider/ne ... l/a1390718

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice
Posts: 457
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 8:24 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#353757

Postby PrefInvestor » November 5th, 2020, 12:40 pm

richfool wrote:An article about a fund that invests in this sector, - Gravis Clean Energy. It's holdings include both TRIG, JLEN and NESF:


Hi richfool, Hope you are well. I don’t do OEICs because of my brokers charges on these and concerns over “hidden” costs in OEICs, I am no believer in “active” management I’m afraid. INRG looking much better though and my buy at 915ish in profit now, no charges problem there. Might do EVEN better if Biden win is confirmed.

ATB

Pref

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#353787

Postby richfool » November 5th, 2020, 2:28 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:
richfool wrote:An article about a fund that invests in this sector, - Gravis Clean Energy. It's holdings include both TRIG, JLEN and NESF:


Hi richfool, Hope you are well. I don’t do OEICs because of my brokers charges on these and concerns over “hidden” costs in OEICs, I am no believer in “active” management I’m afraid. INRG looking much better though and my buy at 915ish in profit now, no charges problem there. Might do EVEN better if Biden win is confirmed.

ATB

Pref

I'm well, thanks PI,

Yes, likewise, I don't hold OIEC's/funds, preferring to hold IT's for their ease of trading, amongst other factors.

One of the reasons I looked at the article and at Gravis Clean Energy was to see what companies it invests in. (As indeed I do with many investment trusts). It was reassuring to note that Gravis Clean Energy held JLEN and TRIG, both of which I hold. Though I recently reduced my holdings of both, and bought into IEM. I have also just added some BERI (dividend yield: 6.47% discount to NAV: 13%.

Regards R

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#354649

Postby richfool » November 8th, 2020, 9:57 pm

A couple of recent This is Money articles about environmental/green investing:
The big green investing guide: How to make your pension and investments more environmentally friendly

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/diy ... green.html

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/inv ... ffect.html

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice
Posts: 457
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 8:24 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#355042

Postby PrefInvestor » November 9th, 2020, 10:52 pm

richfool wrote:A couple of recent This is Money articles about environmental/green investing:


Hi Again richfool, I see INRG went over 1000p for a while today, on Bidens win I guess, it fell back a bit later though. Still nicely in profit having reentered at about 915p.

ATB

Pref

Parky
Lemon Slice
Posts: 292
Joined: June 9th, 2017, 8:51 am
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#355627

Postby Parky » November 11th, 2020, 5:47 pm

https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust ... -news-list

Surely there must be too much money by now chasing the best projects. Another £670 million targetted money raising just announced- see Citywire article attached.

Bena48
Posts: 35
Joined: August 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#357147

Postby Bena48 » November 16th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Hi

I am looking for an IT with exposure to solar and wind energy across the states and rest of the world. Any suggestions?

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#360334

Postby richfool » November 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Bena48 wrote:Hi

I am looking for an IT with exposure to solar and wind energy across the states and rest of the world. Any suggestions?

Bena48, See the article that Parky linked to in the above post that EGL are launching a new
Ecofin, manager of the existing Global Utilities & Infrastructure Trust (EGL), is looking to raise $250m (£188m) with a portfolio of mixed US renewable energy assets benefiting from government incentives and fixed long-term revenue contracts of 10-25 years.

RNEW is targeting a total annual return on its investments of 7-7.5%, mostly comprising of a dividend yield of 5.25%-5.75%.

The company hopes to start with a $61m seed portfolio of four solar investments, two of which are operation and two are under construction but are expected to open in the next four months. It expects to be fully invested within a year given it has a pipeline of 86 potential investments worth $3bn.

Stifel Nicolaus Europe is broker to the launch and a prospectus is expected to be published soon.s

https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust ... -news-list

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#360348

Postby richfool » November 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:
richfool wrote:A couple of recent This is Money articles about environmental/green investing:


Hi Again richfool, I see INRG went over 1000p for a while today, on Bidens win I guess, it fell back a bit later though. Still nicely in profit having reentered at about 915p.

ATB

Pref

INRG has virtually no dividend at all (under 1%) which puts me off, along with its significant volatility. I do hold IEM, but I would prefer to get at holdings like Vestas and Siemens (through a collective), which INRG does..

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice
Posts: 264
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Has thanked: 1008 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#361243

Postby sunnyjoe » November 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm

richfool wrote:
PrefInvestor wrote:
richfool wrote:A couple of recent This is Money articles about environmental/green investing:


Hi Again richfool, I see INRG went over 1000p for a while today, on Bidens win I guess, it fell back a bit later though. Still nicely in profit having reentered at about 915p.

ATB

Pref

INRG has virtually no dividend at all (under 1%) which puts me off, along with its significant volatility. I do hold IEM, but I would prefer to get at holdings like Vestas and Siemens (through a collective), which INRG does..


Would that be Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (SGRE) or Siemens Energy AG (ENR) which owns 67% of SGRE and was recently split out of Siemens AG (SIE)?

I hold some ENR. They are also developing energy storage (battery and other) and hydrogen from electrolysis

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#361267

Postby richfool » November 29th, 2020, 7:44 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:Would that be Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (SGRE) or Siemens Energy AG (ENR) which owns 67% of SGRE and was recently split out of Siemens AG (SIE)?

I hold some ENR. They are also developing energy storage (battery and other) and hydrogen from electrolysis

INRG holds Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (SGRE).

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rgy-ca-ord

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... -ucits-etf

I would want to hold those sorts of stocks through a collective.

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#361425

Postby richfool » November 30th, 2020, 1:08 pm

I have pondered about GRID (Gresham House Energy Storage Fund), (or even GSF Gore Street Energy Storage Fund), but suspect that they are more about running storage facilities rather than developing new technologies related to storage, and that as such they may, like the renewable energy (solar and wind) trusts, end up with constant fund raising offers, undermining their SP's, rather than any real growth prospects, not to mention trading at large premiums because of the high yields on offer.

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#362206

Postby richfool » December 2nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

Following on from my preceding post, does anyone have any ideas on what IT's or investment companies would provide exposure to renewable energy from the perspective of companies that develop or manufacture the equipment or components ("pick-axes") required to build the wind turbines, solar farms, storage facilities, etc?

I would prefer to access these through an IT or collective, as opposed to holding companies like Vestas or Siemens directly.

I currently hold IEM. INRG looks appropriate, though I am put off by its negligible dividend and the fact the SP is at a high.

ukfire
Posts: 14
Joined: February 15th, 2020, 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#362363

Postby ukfire » December 2nd, 2020, 7:18 pm

richfool wrote:I have pondered about GRID (Gresham House Energy Storage Fund), (or even GSF Gore Street Energy Storage Fund), but suspect that they are more about running storage facilities rather than developing new technologies related to storage, and that as such they may, like the renewable energy (solar and wind) trusts, end up with constant fund raising offers, undermining their SP's, rather than any real growth prospects, not to mention trading at large premiums because of the high yields on offer.


Gore Street have a placing through PrimaryBid.

plodder
Posts: 13
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:39 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#362376

Postby plodder » December 2nd, 2020, 8:20 pm

does anyone have any ideas on what IT's or investment companies would provide exposure to renewable energy from the perspective of companies that develop or manufacture the equipment or components


The only other trust that I have come across is JGC - Jupiter Green Investment Trust.

ETF wise, if that is of interest then maybe BATG (Legal & General), or CHRG (Wisdom Tree) in the battery arena.

All of these have gone up significantly over the last few months in tandem with INRG.

Hope that is of use,
Plodder

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#362861

Postby richfool » December 4th, 2020, 10:59 am

plodder wrote:
does anyone have any ideas on what IT's or investment companies would provide exposure to renewable energy from the perspective of companies that develop or manufacture the equipment or components


The only other trust that I have come across is JGC - Jupiter Green Investment Trust.

ETF wise, if that is of interest then maybe BATG (Legal & General), or CHRG (Wisdom Tree) in the battery arena.

All of these have gone up significantly over the last few months in tandem with INRG.

Hope that is of use,
Plodder

Thanks Plodder for the additional ideas.

I had a look at the Jupiter Green IT (JGC). It's another one with a negligible yield (well 0.97%) and at a premium (+3.96%), though it seems to hold the stocks I'm looking for. Dod would probably be quick to point out that it's also very small at £45M capitalisation, with a larger spread between buying and selling prices (10p), and the charges are a bit high at AMC: 0.7% plus OC: 1.6%.

So, it could be a case of go for JGC, OR top up IEM (which is less into the stocks I'm really after), OR go for the ETF INRG which has an even lower yield at 0.58%, and has gone up significantly, but better holds the stocks I am after. Currently, I think the choices are in reverse order, i.e. I favour the latter most.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... -ord-gbp.1

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... -ucits-etf

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... lc-ord-10p

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#364040

Postby richfool » December 8th, 2020, 1:03 pm

A bit more on the pursuit of Sustainable investing, albeit US focused:

U.S. Investors Continue to Endorse Sustainable Investing
Last year’s record for flows was broken in July.
Mentioned: Brown Advisory Tax Exempt Bond Investor (BIAEX) , TIAA-CREF Core Impact Bond Retail (TSBRX) , iShares ESG Aware MSCI EAFE ETF (ESGD) , iShares ESG Aware MSCI USA ETF (ESGU) , American Century Sustainable Equity Inv (AFDIX) , Invesco Solar ETF (TAN) , iShares Global Clean Energy ETF (ICLN)

Sustainable funds in the United States have attracted a record $30.7 billion in net flows so far in 2020. It only took until July this year for sustainable funds to garner more flows than they did in all of 2019, and last year’s $21.4 billion net flow was itself 4 times higher than in any previous year. This year, flows have been averaging about $10 billion per quarter. For the third quarter, estimated net flows totaled $9.8 billion, representing 10% of overall U.S. fund flows.

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/10 ... -investing.


richfool wrote:I had a look at the Jupiter Green IT (JGC). It's another one with a negligible yield (well 0.97%) and at a premium (+3.96%), though it seems to hold the stocks I'm looking for. Dod would probably be quick to point out that it's also very small at £45M capitalisation, with a larger spread between buying and selling prices (10p), and the charges are a bit high at AMC: 0.7% plus OC: 1.6%.

So, it could be a case of go for JGC, OR top up IEM (which is less into the stocks I'm really after), OR go for the ETF INRG which has an even lower yield at 0.58%, and has gone up significantly, but better holds the stocks I am after. Currently, I think the choices are in reverse order, i.e. I favour the latter most.

I continue to look at the above trusts (all at currently high prices), though in the knowledge that I do already have some exposure through: IEM and BERI.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice
Posts: 264
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Has thanked: 1008 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#365012

Postby sunnyjoe » December 11th, 2020, 9:22 am

https://renews.biz/65055/downing-ipo-raises-1225m/

Downing Renewables & Infrastructure Trust has become a listed entity on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, having raised over £122m...

richfool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 632 times
Been thanked: 611 times

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

#365021

Postby richfool » December 11th, 2020, 9:46 am

sunnyjoe wrote:https://renews.biz/65055/downing-ipo-raises-1225m/

Downing Renewables & Infrastructure Trust has become a listed entity on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, having raised over £122m.

The company raised the £122.5m through a placing to invest in its diversified portfolio of renewable energy generating assets and other infrastructure assets in the UK, Ireland and Northern Europe, targeting a net asset value total return of 6.5% to 7.5% a year over the medium to long term.

The total number of ordinary shares in issue immediately following admission is 122,500,000.

In early November Downing Renewables & Infrastructure Trust announced plans for an initial public offering to raise up to £200m to invest in a diversified renewables portfolio that includes wind, solar, hydro and geothermal along with other infrastructure assets in the UK, Ireland and Northern Europe.

Am I right then in thinking that it raised £122.5m as opposed to the £200M it was looking for?

I note it is trading at 100p.


Return to “Investment Strategies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests