Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Portfolio x-ray view by region

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Blagdon
Lemon Pip

Portfolio x-ray view by region

Postby Blagdon » September 7th, 2019, 10:55 am

Hi All

I would like to get a combined view of my funds and trackers by world region (sometimes called an x-ray view). I have tried using Trustnet, but it wasn't that good, it listed the top 10 and then lumped everything else in 'other'. Because the different funds use such different titles of regions, I had over 30% in 'other'.

Anybody any suggestions?

Thanks
Blagdon

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Portfolio x-ray view by region

Postby staffordian » September 7th, 2019, 11:11 am

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » September 7th, 2019, 11:29 am

Blagdon wrote:Hi All

I would like to get a combined view of my funds and trackers by world region (sometimes called an x-ray view). I have tried using Trustnet, but it wasn't that good, it listed the top 10 and then lumped everything else in 'other'. Because the different funds use such different titles of regions, I had over 30% in 'other'.

Anybody any suggestions?

Thanks
Blagdon

This can be done but I have not found a way to do it automatically so I use Excel.
First step is to create the spreadsheet with funds on the Y axis and geographic regions on the X. I have shown some funds and values at random to show how the calculations work, the regions shown below should cover them all. Then the painstaking work of inputting all the allocations by region starts. You can use the normal sources, factsheets, fund providers websites etc and where there were blanks, I phoned or emailed the fund providers direct and always got the information requested.

I then have another sheet that shows the values allocated to each region by fund (dont worry about the shading, that is just some formatting that I use)

The values for each region are totaled and then the percentage is worked out as shown below and these in turn can be tabulated.

Table showing geographic allocations

If you want, I can create a blank spreadsheet and send it to you if you pm me with your email address.

jonesa1
Lemon Slice

Postby jonesa1 » September 7th, 2019, 6:14 pm

This could be a source for your input data: https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/statistics/mir

Return to “Investment Strategies”