Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The 2020s

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Re: The 2020s

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 1st, 2020, 1:45 pm

JoyofBricks8 wrote:
So today we have more children than ever before.

They have less chance of dying before sexual maturity than ever before.

Yet the UN is happy to estimate that in 30 years time there will be fewer kids, because for the last few years they reckon less kids have issued because of a recent trend?

And I am supposed to find that reassuring?

What if that trend is just a fad?

I am sorry. I just can’t see a wealthier world with fewer resource constraints on large families not ultimately having large families. We see the same population explosions across all species when resource constraints are removed. The classic example is yeast in a brewers vat, or deer in the absence of wolves.

My expectation is humans are not smarter than yeast, at least when it comes to controlling their reproductive urges.

The UN only promotes such reassuring myths because of fear of the backlash against entrenched interests that the actual probable trend result of a 15 billion plus population of 2100 will create.

Happily, the resulting dystopia will be neither of our problems by then: Party on, let the good times roll. Buy land. They are not making any more of it. Though if you believe St Greta, it will probably be a hundred metres underwater or more.

You seem to be conflating current figures with speculation. You challenged us to supply data refuting your statement that population is growing exponentially/geometrically. You have been given that data. The best curve fit to the historical population trend is probably a logistic ('S' shape) which is typical for populations of living organisms.

The really big question is whether the population reaches a sustainable level or collapses and that depends on whether you believe we will either reach or go beyond the carrying capacity of the planet. Or, indeed, have already exceeded it. The Club of Rome did a lot of these simulations back in the 70's and to me it looks as if we are stuck on the standard run that implies collapse some time this century. There are a lot of resources that are being used up more rapidly than they are being replenished such as fresh water aquifers, topsoil and, of course, fossil fuels. Meanwhile the effluent (pollution) from human activities continues to rise, headlined by greenhouse gas emissions and plastics. Never mind that we are now living through a 6th mass extinction. You do wonder what a dolphin might think of the human plague.

It's not just about population either. There are individual, corporate and government mandates for growth and this is much closer to an exponential given targets are usually a constant rate of around 3%. IMO the only way to limit or reverse the anthropomorphic effect on the planet is to reduce consumption. Substitution isn't going to cut it. But reduction in consumption has massive head-winds. It goes against both human greed and the mountain of debt that has been accumulated world-wide. Any meaningful, Global, reduction in consumption would lead to a Global depression and no Government is going to go there. Hence the talk of carbon neutral, electric cars for petrol ones. All the while we replace things at a faster and faster rate.

I could go on but I think you get the picture. All IMO of course.

BoE

LooseCannon101
Lemon Slice

Postby LooseCannon101 » January 1st, 2020, 6:24 pm

I expect to still be holding F&C Investment Trust in 10 years time. It's my only holding - held for over 20 years and added to over that period. Chopping and changing investment vehicles due to media articles and President Trump's tweets is usually a waste of time and money.

Looking at financial history, the unicorn companies of the future may not even have been born. New technology and emerging middle class in developing nations should enable the creation of innovative companies, but always there will be Mr. Market's boom and bust cycles. I will be happy to earn a rate of return of 8.5% per annum on my investments over the next 10 years - quite possible so long as I keep my nerve.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » January 7th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I hold a portfolio of 20 income-producing ITs, covering equities: UK, international, private; Debt/bonds, Infrastructure and Property. This PF has been built up over the last five years and finalised two years ago when we retired. I intend to hold forever unless motivated or forced to change through takeover or change of income policy or similar.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 7th, 2020, 10:55 pm

No one backing China? How about ITs containing significant China , South Korea, HK content? ...Baillie Gifford Pacific Horizon Investment Trust.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » May 8th, 2020, 9:39 am

Thought it appropriate to bump this thread back up again. Any new thoughts for the 2020's given recent an ongoing events.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » May 8th, 2020, 9:48 am

flyer61 wrote:Well having avoided (for now) the apocalypse of a hard left Government and knowing I will retire from formal work in the next decade it has certainly made me stop and think. Living in the north of England it is reassuring though that for the next 5 years I am surrounded by Toffs and Billionaires! :lol:

Heavily exposed to the 'British state', State pension, DB pensions, SIPP, ISA, VCT's, UK limited Companies (property). Not to worried about the Tories however a future Labour government could really upset the cart. They are not changing their recent spots anytime soon. RLB - Wrong daily is cut from Marxist cloth even Starmer is reaching out to Momentum (why not give them a kicking, the rest of the population did).

OK rant over, they are not going to be calling the shots anytime soon and I need to chill out a little. Whats on the buying list.....

Diamonds - my wife has permission to buy more of them She has trained herself on how to assess them and then buy at sensible prices. She gets the pleasure and I get something mobile. Quality is what we are after...

More ETFs - so VMID, my hunch is the Tories are going to borrow bucket loads and this will feed into UK facing Companies. VWRL - the daddy of ETFs, this should be a core holding for all. Hope to keep adding, particularly on any pull backs. Looking at a purely tech ETF as well.

Investment trusts - Caledonia CLDN again if it appears on 'offer' I will pick up more.

Fundsmith - monthly standing order.

Wife's SIPP - hi yield - work to continue on in identifying assets that pay a high yield that is sustainable. Happy to take 'calculated' chances. Recent purchase 'Corecivic'. Mrs Warren would like it closed down so the price has come down a long way yet the business is growing, profitable with a covered 10% dividend. Many people are squeamish about investing here even the US banks think twice about dealing with them. The bet - Democrat leadership sees what happened to JC and his merry band of losers and decide against a 'radical' presidential candidate in 2020. Lot of upside for Corecivic with that threat removed. Of course might fall flat on my face....

Travel - lots of it, need sunshine and a bit of sea fishing. Oh and have a book to write....going to be a busy decade!

Happy new year to all Fools and thank you for all you bring to these forums.

So I am bumping this thread so that we can try and start again.

Basically my Wife's hi yield has been decimated by 'events'. Complete re think required.

Fundsmith has done what it says on the tin. Disappointed in Caledonia. ETF's even more important long term for me.

Travel - zero

Diamonds - online auctions work a treat....HWMBO is happy!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 8th, 2020, 9:52 am

So my comment was
Which, and how many, of your individual holdings (i.e. shares, investment trusts) do you expect you’ll still hold in 2030? And why?
All of them. Bought for income, they're doing their job just fine.

(Nine investment trusts and a couple of ETFs)

Other than a possible redefinition of "fine" :-) , still the same.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 8th, 2020, 10:10 am

flyer61 said in his earlier post that he would buy more Caledonia if it appears on 'offer'.
Now, when it could be said to be on offer, he is 'disappointed'.

Which is it to be?

Dod

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » May 8th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Good question DOD and when it was down in the low 20's it appears it was 'on offer'. My view at the moment is that little is 'on offer'. I have bought more Philip Morris and BAT however till I get clarity about my employment situation then I will sit with elevated cash levels.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » May 8th, 2020, 2:27 pm

flyer61 wrote:…….. My view at the moment is that little is 'on offer'. …...

I agree.
UK, European and Asian markets seem about fair value. US looks a bit expensive.

If the economy doesn't see something close to an economic V-bounce, I think markets will be in trouble later this year or next year.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » May 11th, 2020, 7:16 am

In the words of the late economist John Kenneth Galbraith: "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable." :)

Best wishes,

Steve

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » May 23rd, 2020, 8:55 am

Nouriel Roubini sees an extended depression coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52752172

I suspect he’s right. Despite the desperate measures (of which I approve) taken by governments, I believe there will be serious scarring of the economy with long term loss of jobs, consumer confidence and economic activity. I’ve already cut expenditure as an inevitable consequence of lockdown but I’m beginning to see this as a longer term position. I’m in the fortunate situation that I could live long term with a 50% cut in income from pre-Covid.

Best wishes,

Steve

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » July 12th, 2020, 8:35 am

There was an argument that we were going through a similar period to the 1873-96 long depression even before this all hit.

☹️

Best wishes

Mark.

Mememe

Postby Mememe » July 12th, 2020, 8:35 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:A very interesting thread. For me, 2020 brings the prospect of a major life change as I retire and live on a combination of employment related pensions and my SIPP/ISA portfolio. My ISA/SIPP investments will fund discretionary spending and I intend to make the very most of it for the next ten years or so. As long as my health holds up in fact.

I have moved my investments from almost 100% in Fundsmith, Smithson, Blue Whale and Hurricane Energy to about 40% in the following pre-Boris bounce purchases which I think I will be holding long term. Having bought on a value/high yield basis I have locked into yields typically in the 6 to 8% range. So, unless something bad happens, I can't see me selling in hurry -

Shell
Petrofac
Legal and General
Lloyds
HSBC
Regional REIT
and a rather small holding in Octopus Renewables IT.

From the income paid by those firms I hope to have many holidays and generally enjoy myself for as long as the income and my health prevails. Good luck for 2020 and beyond.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

RVF

Ouch

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 12th, 2020, 9:04 pm

If I were a business, in my Accounts under 'Assets held for sale' would be Shell, Imperial Tobacco and maybe HSBC. How things have changed this year. Seeing the quoted post from RVF I would have been happy to have posted that at the same time

Dod

Return to “Investment Strategies”