Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Seeking a little advice on my ISA

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Seeking a little advice on my ISA

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 3rd, 2021, 8:52 pm

270160 wrote:Hello I am asking a bit of advice for a friend . She has been saving into a Share ISA for the past 20 years in a Royal London Platinum Plus ISA . She says her money has doubled over this time . I wonder if this has been worth it . I see that the account she pays into is not open to new customers and I wonder why . Can anybody say whether she ought to carry on investing with Royal London ? . Is it a good scheme ? .

Taking into consideration all the comments between yours above and here; when was this ‘valuation’ done which says it’s (only) doubled in the past 20 years? If it was done at one of last year’s low points, that might not have been representative. More info needed.

PS - you’ve hijacked someone else’s thread here.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » April 3rd, 2021, 9:32 pm

Sorry , no more comments .Robert

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 3rd, 2021, 10:06 pm

If you ask the moderators , they could probably split your question out into a new thread

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 3rd, 2021, 10:12 pm

dealtn wrote:
Marky72 wrote:
• AV shares = 50%
• IAG = 4%
• VMUK = 6%
• LLOY = 5%
• VOD = 3%
• TW = 3%
• BARC = 16%

My tolerance to risk hovers around the medium/low-medium area ...

50% in a single share doesn't match your stated risk tolerance.

Would it be rude of me to ask you (as a very successful self made financially independent person) how they can align or realign their portfolio to meet their stated risk burden please?

Thank you

AiY

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 4th, 2021, 9:28 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Marky72 wrote:
• AV shares = 50%
• IAG = 4%
• VMUK = 6%
• LLOY = 5%
• VOD = 3%
• TW = 3%
• BARC = 16%

Would it be rude of me to ask you (as a very successful self made financially independent person) how they can align or realign their portfolio to meet their stated risk burden please?

Thank you

AiY

I don't think that's rude at all, but not being a financial advisor I wouldn't know the appropriate way to answer. I wouldn't share the medium/low risk appetite either, so might imagine my response wouldn't de-risk the portfolio enough.

However, at the risk of leaving too much allocation to equities, or risk assets generally at the aggregate level, I would think reducing AV. (and probably BARC too) down to the 3-6% levels of other equities and re-allocating that 55% to a general fund would be an improvement, from a risk appetite matching perspective.

Liquidity for either sales, or purchase won't be an issue. Potentially there may be tax implications to consider (but no detail in the OP), as why this couldn't be done "immediately" perhaps. I have no experience in (or wish to ever invest in) funds so am really not the person to guide among the myriad of alternatives given the stated risk appetite.

Marky72

Postby Marky72 » April 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm

dealtn wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Thank you

AiY

I don't think that's rude at all, but not being a financial advisor I wouldn't know the appropriate way to answer. I wouldn't share the medium/low risk appetite either, so might imagine my response wouldn't de-risk the portfolio enough.

However, at the risk of leaving too much allocation to equities, or risk assets generally at the aggregate level, I would think reducing AV. (and probably BARC too) down to the 3-6% levels of other equities and re-allocating that 55% to a general fund would be an improvement, from a risk appetite matching perspective.

Liquidity for either sales, or purchase won't be an issue. Potentially there may be tax implications to consider (but no detail in the OP), as why this couldn't be done "immediately" perhaps. I have no experience in (or wish to ever invest in) funds so am really not the person to guide among the myriad of alternatives given the stated risk appetite.

Thank you for your suggestions guys. I am looking to alter my allocation to my shares from tomorrow when I purchase a few more equities and a couple of funds (an IT and VWRP). As a very novice investor I saw AV climbing and decided to put in more of my ISA allowance into that share; as it happens, it has performed very well but I am aiming to reduce my holdings in it to lower my risk.

daducky

Postby daducky » April 15th, 2021, 5:58 am

dealtn wrote:
Marky72 wrote:
• AV shares = 50%
• IAG = 4%
• VMUK = 6%
• LLOY = 5%
• VOD = 3%
• TW = 3%
• BARC = 16%

...but seeking diversification advice

daducky

Postby daducky » April 15th, 2021, 6:16 am

scotia wrote:OK - I started many years ago saving in PEPs and ISAs with Hargreaves Lansdown. The maximum ISA yearly contribution was £7000, and I spread this out over 12 months at approximately £600 per month, which irons out the ups and downs of the market. I also believe in diversification, so I normally purchased two different lots of £300 per month. I concentrated the purchases on OEICs (Funds in HL parlance), so avoiding all purchase costs. Although there is now a 0.45% annual platform charge, this is still much cheaper than purchasing £600 in an Investment Trust - where the one-off purchase cost is £11.95 and the transfer stamp is 0.5%. Later in life, when you have accumulated a substantial sum, the 0.45% annual charge may seem large, so you could sell some of your OEICs, and re-invest a substantial sum in an IT - where the £11.95 will be insignificant.
So - back to which OEICs I am happy with.
For global growth I have held Fundsmith and Lindsell Train Global Equity (an offshore OEIC) for many years. For more exciting (and volatile) global growth I have held Baillie Gifford Global Discovery.
For UK growth I have held Liontrust UK Ethical, and Lindsell Train UK Equity. For UK Smaller Companies I hold Amati UK Smaller Companies.
There is a large choice of European OEICs, and I currently hold Threadneedle European Select (larger companies) and Barings Europe Select (smaller companies). Recently I have become impressed by the performance of Premier Miton European Opportunities (middle sized companies).
Hargreaves Lansdown have excellent tools to let you compare the performance of Funds - Select a Fund, and go for Charts and Performance.
The five year total return of the funds I have mentioned are:-
Fundsmith 126% , Lindsell Train Global Equity 117%, Baillie Gifford Global Discovery 234%
LionTrust UK Ethical 79%, Lindsell Train UK Equity 57%, Amati Smaller Companies 129%
Threadneedle European Select 75%, Barings Europe Select 82%, Premier Miton European Opps 176%
But remember - markets go up and down, and fashions change.

>>

<Unity
Lindsell uk 57
Threadneedle 75.
Lion 79.
Barings 82.

> Unity
Lindeell glb 117
Fundsmith 126
Amati Sml 129
Premier milton 179

Scotia, i wonder whether you could clarify, re the choices on the lhs, are you saying they returned that % relative to or in addition to your original investment, presumably the latter?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 15th, 2021, 11:57 am

daducky wrote:
Scotia, i wonder whether you could clarify, re the choices on the lhs, are you saying they returned that % relative to or in addition to your original investment, presumably the latter?

The number quoted is the percentage total return growth over a five year period - source Hargreaves Lansdown. E.G. a figure of 126% means that an initial investment of £100 in the fund increased to £226.
If you go to the Hargreaves Lansdown Site (http://www.hl.co.uk), and select "Funds" - then choose a Fund - e.g. type in "Fundsmith", and select "Fundsmith Equity Class I - Accumulation (GBP)" - then you will get details of this fund - choose the "Charts & Performance" Tab. You will get a graphic display, plus a table of performance. Then from the drop-down you can add further funds for comparison. And this will give you up-to date information.
This is all free - you do not need an HL account. You can also add Investment Trusts, ETFs and Shares to the comparison.

Return to “Investment Strategies”