Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Safe Haven Portfolio

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Retiringat51
Lemon Pip

Re: Safe Haven Portfolio

Postby Retiringat51 » March 13th, 2017, 6:07 pm

The housing crash which began in 90 finally did in Margaret Thatcher.

Major fluked it in 92 largely because Neil Kinnock was caught on the beach falling backwards into the sea at Brighton but such was his unpopularity he subsequently turned completely grey and was himself defeated by a tidal wave in 97, as I recall.

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » March 13th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Earlier in this thread PHP (Primary Health Properties IT) was suggested. May I suggest Medicx as an alternative? Similar portfolio, yielding about 6%. I've held for about two years - the yield has delivered and I'm showing a decent capital appreciation of about 5.5%. Owning and leasing properties to the NHS is unlikely to see much of a downturn even if the economy slumps IMO.

masmon

Postby masmon » March 14th, 2017, 10:32 am

mickeypops wrote:Earlier in this thread PHP (Primary Health Properties IT) was suggested. May I suggest Medicx as an alternative? Similar portfolio, yielding about 6%. I've held for about two years - the yield has delivered and I'm showing a decent capital appreciation of about 5.5%. Owning and leasing properties to the NHS is unlikely to see much of a downturn even if the economy slumps IMO.

Very richly priced with a 44% premium - I wonder if there is a reason for such a difference between its price and NAV..

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » March 15th, 2017, 7:36 pm

On the housing market I would just make the observation that the last interest rate cut was the stupidest thing that Carney has done to date.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 24th, 2017, 8:47 am

Anticipating a market correction (particularly equities), I am looking round for any sectors with an inverse correlation to equities that I might have overlooked, that I could redirect some investment money to.

In addition to an IT portfolio that includes, UK, Global, European and Asian Pacific markets, and SL Private Equity, I also (already) hold Witan and from the "Flexible" sector: Personal Assets, Capital Gearing Trust (CGT) and HAST Henderson Alternative Strategies (HAST); plus BRWM and BRCI for commodity exposure and SLI for property exposure.

Noting that the commodity IT's and PNL all have exposure to gold, are there any other sectors that I have overlooked that have an inverse correlation to equities and that might give me insulation from a market correction? I am aware of infrastructure & environmental infrastructure as mentioned earlier in the above thread and I appreciate that cash could be an option.

ermintrade

Postby ermintrade » March 29th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Hi
Not sure these are reverse correlated with equities - litigation finance eg Burford Capital, and global reinsurance eg Catco. I hold both and they do seem to be relatively uncorrelated with equities. At any rate, they are diversifiers.
Regards
ermintrade

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 21st, 2018, 1:52 pm

I just came across this old thread whilst researching safer havens. I am searching for safer havens in the event of a major correction or a bear market and particularly those with an inverse correlation to equities (globally).

Noting that we are now that much closer to the next bear market than when this thread first started out, are there any new ideas?

I am somewhat more cautious than before about infrastructure, wind and solar, because of possible changes of government or government action, and gold gives no income. (I also notice that Peter Spiller of Capital Gearing trust) has reduced his exposure to wind & solar).

Return to “Investment Strategies”