Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

consolidating and stabilising my portfolio

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
vand
Lemon Slice

Re: consolidating and stabilising my portfolio

Postby vand » May 10th, 2023, 9:01 am

If you want ultimate simplification then I will again stick out my neck and offer my one-stop solution of 70/20/10 equities/bonds/gold that will serve you better than so many other more complicated solutions.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » May 10th, 2023, 11:19 am

I wouldn’t object to that…..oh, well, why not?
It’s simple enough until you get to the gold. Is that coins, eft’s, miners? Some aren’t really gold, and gold is not that simple to hold is it?
But having a look at the performance of that vs 70/30 stocks/bonds, there really wass almost no difference since 1986, and even at the times when there was a bit of a difference it was pretty small (in favour of not gold). For likely outcome and simplicity, I’m not convinced.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » May 10th, 2023, 8:40 pm

JohnW wrote:I wouldn’t object to that…..oh, well, why not?
It’s simple enough until you get to the gold. Is that coins, eft’s, miners? Some aren’t really gold, and gold is not that simple to hold is it?
But having a look at the performance of that vs 70/30 stocks/bonds, there really wass almost no difference since 1986, and even at the times when there was a bit of a difference it was pretty small (in favour of not gold). For likely outcome and simplicity, I’m not convinced.

Why give gold a hard time?
Why not procrastinate over which version of a global equity fund to hold.., or whether you should hold 5 year notes or 30 year treasuries?

Total return on Gold compares well alongside equities and bonds over long timeframes, while being uncorrelated to both, and yet people still bring up their straw man objections... and over 10% of the portfolio! For its track record in acting as a lifeboat during periods when all stock/bond portfolios have done poorly... why wouldn't you hold gold?!

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 11th, 2023, 9:44 am

vand wrote:
JohnW wrote:I wouldn’t object to that…..oh, well, why not?

Why give gold a hard time?
Why not procrastinate over which version of a global equity fund to hold.., or whether you should hold 5 year notes or 30 year treasuries?

Total return on Gold compares well alongside equities and bonds over long timeframes, while being uncorrelated to both, and yet people still bring up their straw man objections... and over 10% of the portfolio! For its track record in acting as a lifeboat during periods when all stock/bond portfolios have done poorly... why wouldn't you hold gold?!

Well I would certainly hold gold, or more of it, but I don't like buying in or topping up when the price is already high. Thus currently, my exposure is mainly through holdings like BRWM and RICA (or PNL).

Return to “Investment Strategies”