Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Two temptations

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Two temptations

Postby Steveam » October 22nd, 2023, 7:52 pm

Legal & General are looking very tempting. I have room for a top up but this is purely opportunistic. I’m either falling into a value trap or buying a bargain. I’ll probably buy tomorrow if they’re still below £2.20 as the yield is about 9%. All seems a bit odd.

I’m also being tempted by Tate. This is more speculative but I already have a holding and a purchase would just bring it to full weight. Results due 9-November. Holders will recall that they did quite a reorganisation a year or two ago. I rather like the new and more focused Tate.

This is all rather odd as I’ve been moving towards more and more collectives (ITs and ETFs).

Best wishes,

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Two temptations

Postby Dod101 » October 22nd, 2023, 8:46 pm

I think that L & G is fine but I would say that because they are one of my bigger holdings and in the last 30 years have been quite dependable.
I cannot comment about Tate as know little about them.

Dod

midgesgalore
Lemon Slice

Postby midgesgalore » October 23rd, 2023, 9:25 am

Steveam wrote:... I rather like the new and more focused Tate.
Steve

I have owned since November 2014 and added until November 2017.

In that time the stock has gained just over the same again, i.e., doubled its money considering and adjusting for the reorganisation of capital (6 shares for every 7 held + £1.07 / share capital return) + dividends. That return is a surprise to me actually and one plus point is they paid their dividends all the way through the covid crisis. I am surprised I report so well of them.

Their dividend increase prior to the reorganisation (from 2014 when I purchased) was around 2.5% and it's yield was never more than 3% - much as it is now the price has nose-dived. So not a great income investment but a steady Eddy.

Opportunities on the upside though if you think the price and business deserves its 900p back in April - I should have sold then :roll:

midgesgalore

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 23rd, 2023, 9:53 am

Steveam wrote:Legal & General are looking very tempting. I
Steveam wrote:I’m also being tempted by Tate.

I have both, TATE a long time pick that I have been in and out of a few times and like Steveam a good return, about now looks like an opportune time to investigate again. L&G not so tempted by, I have plenty of others in finance, and so far L&G has not enhanced my wealth.

Steveam wrote:This is all rather odd as I’ve been moving towards more and more collectives (ITs and ETFs).

A 1 and 5 year chart of VWRL (vanguard global tracker) vs the other 2 and historically the tracker is the place to have been.

Return to “Investment Strategies”