Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Wesfarmers ( Wes ASX)

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Wesfarmers ( Wes ASX)

Postby Pastcaring » May 4th, 2024, 1:30 am

Wesfarmers had their analyst update on Thursday,5 hours of info on the 6 or 7 companies they own,and what they expect to happen in the future..They just keep doing the same thing over and over. Just keep repeating we invest for the long term and our aim is to produce good returns for shareholders,employees and the communities we operate in.

As they approach 40 years as a listed company ( Nov 84 to Nov 24) the report and rundown is available at the ASX website under constant disclosure rules.The report is around 95 pages. The results of quality management produces quality results is in the first 10 pages. The last dividend was paid out just prior to the 31/3/24 date they ruled off on.

The CAGR for that period was 19.5%.,so $1,000 invested then is now worth ~ $1.44 million rounded up.The share price on that date gave you ~ 18,300 shares,Share price at~ $68 each,just under if I remember correctly, I never bother looking.I'm very happy to just let them get on with producing excellent returns for me. The next dividend will be due end of September this year.In a round number call it 18,500 shares in total .So 31/12/24 is the end result of what investing is all about .DO NOTHING. SIT ON YOUR HANDS.KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Once you have selected a quality company then you only need to look once a year at most to see if it is compounding at the required rate or better.

The 5 year return is a CAGR of 19.6%.I would think it is around 5 years or a touch more since I said this is an excellent company to own.The Australian Berkshire Hathaway . While Buffett has never heard of Wesfarmers what would happen if he said at his AGM "I followed the example of Wesfarmers.Buy quality companies for a concentrated portfolio and let management get on with it.The only difference is WES have been doing that for 110 years".

Complicated this investing lark innit.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wesfarmers ( Wes ASX)

Postby Newroad » May 4th, 2024, 10:29 am

Morning PastCaring.

My family has more* Wesfarmers shares than you can poke a stick at. Further, they have done the above, sat on them for years (from pre-flotation).

What we don't do is post on sites like this, claiming the merits of a two-stock portfolio as here

with opening line

"CBA ( ASX) and MQG ( ASX) .,its close enough to a year as MQG financial year ends on 31/3.A few days late but laziness and do nothing floats my boat."

and then think intelligent members of the forum will forget when they see the type of post above.

On Wesfarmers itself, they have been very good but not perfect - Homebase anyone?

Regards, Newroad

* I've just had a look - over A$1.6M and if you count the divested COL and BWP, over A$2M

Return to “Investment Strategies”