Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

US Economy

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
ZacSc

Re: US Economy

Postby ZacSc » February 28th, 2024, 9:34 am

servodude wrote:
ZacSc wrote:You deleted most of my post, cut my words out of the context of what was said. And that's important. If there wasn't huge deforestation in the past, as there is today, then we can safely assume that planet Earth has stopped handling such a huge amount of carbon dioxide with the same efficiency as before.

We'd save a lot of CO2 and energy if we stopped feeding the trolls ;)

Good advice, thank you :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 28th, 2024, 12:52 pm

ZacSc wrote:
Lootman wrote:Surely if you know that you do not understand what is causing any change then you cannot know what to do about it? Because you might just be making things worse instead of better.

You deleted most of my post, cut my words out of the context of what was said. And that's important. If there wasn't huge deforestation in the past, as there is today, then we can safely assume that planet Earth has stopped handling such a huge amount of carbon dioxide with the same efficiency as before.

So you admit that you do not know the cause but that it is deforestation? :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 28th, 2024, 3:09 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Nobody denies that there is, and always has been, climate change.

Ah yes! I believe I have seen that trope before.

tjh290633 wrote:What is debated is the reason for the current period of warming.

Debated?

Show me this "debate"? (Actually, I believe I may have seen some of it online... :roll: )

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 28th, 2024, 3:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
ZacSc wrote:You deleted most of my post, cut my words out of the context of what was said. And that's important. If there wasn't huge deforestation in the past, as there is today, then we can safely assume that planet Earth has stopped handling such a huge amount of carbon dioxide with the same efficiency as before.

So you admit that you do not know the cause but that it is deforestation? :D

I heard that someone on TLF 'knows' that it is all due to water vapour in the atmosphere, not CO2.

:mrgreen:

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 28th, 2024, 5:52 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:So you admit that you do not know the cause but that it is deforestation? :D

I heard that someone on TLF 'knows' that it is all due to water vapour in the atmosphere, not CO2.

The IPPC studies all ignore water in the atmosphere, and we all know that water can have a profound effect on our climate, as you will find out on any cloudy day. However the absorption of infra-red by water vapour (not droplets) is considerably stronger that that of carbon dioxide, as a glance at their respective absorption spectra will tell you.

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 28th, 2024, 5:56 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
XFool wrote:I heard that someone on TLF 'knows' that it is all due to water vapour in the atmosphere, not CO2.

The IPPC studies all ignore water in the atmosphere, and we all know that water can have a profound effect on our climate, as you will find out on any cloudy day. However the absorption of infra-red by water vapour (not droplets) is considerably stronger that that of carbon dioxide, as a glance at their respective absorption spectra will tell you.

Oh dear! :)

Time for a thread split?

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » February 28th, 2024, 7:57 pm

XFool wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:The IPPC studies all ignore water in the atmosphere, and we all know that water can have a profound effect on our climate, as you will find out on any cloudy day. However the absorption of infra-red by water vapour (not droplets) is considerably stronger that that of carbon dioxide, as a glance at their respective absorption spectra will tell you.

Oh dear! :)

Time for a thread split?

That would seem a good idea, but I'm wondering where the "discussions containing flat denials about climate science" section of The Lemon Fool is ... maybe we can just agree to all stop talking about this, and read the science instead.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » February 28th, 2024, 8:18 pm

EthicsGradient wrote:
XFool wrote:Oh dear! :)

Time for a thread split?

That would seem a good idea, but I'm wondering where the "discussions containing flat denials about climate science" section of The Lemon Fool is ... maybe we can just agree to all stop talking about this, and read the science instead.

TLF needs a pseudo-science section we can point climate deniers, flat Earthers, Moon landing deniers, etc. to.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 28th, 2024, 10:43 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
EthicsGradient wrote:That would seem a good idea, but I'm wondering where the "discussions containing flat denials about climate science" section of The Lemon Fool is ... maybe we can just agree to all stop talking about this, and read the science instead.

TLF needs a pseudo-science section we can point climate deniers, flat Earthers, Moon landing deniers, etc. to.

....roll it up on the Technical Analysis board ;)

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » March 3rd, 2024, 9:53 am

EthicsGradient wrote:
OhNoNotimAgain wrote:
You are right, but it is a new one called Climate Change and is impervious to geological evidence.

Members of this cult believe 4X4 SUVs are the embodiment of evil, before man starting burning coal he lived in a state of perfect harmony with nature and the climate never changed. But flights to conferences about climate change don't count. And wearing clothes made of synthetic material can be ignored. And no one thinks about how we grow our food using fertiliser made from natural gas.

I don't think those denying the problem of climate change are in any position to talk about being "impervious to geological evidence". The scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, with huge, very bad, results if we don't phase out fossil fuels, is overwhelming. You seem to be saying "sounds a bit difficult to change direction to me, I'd rather just continue causing the problem". The "cult" I see here is that led by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Lawson and so on.

Said someone sitting in a warm house using a computer made of metals and plastic powered by electricity generated using equipment made from concrete, metals and hydrocarbons.
You go green, completely green, then I will take your argument seriously.

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Postby ukmtk » March 4th, 2024, 2:00 pm

Meanwhile getting back to the original thread.
Thoughtful article by Kenneth Rogoff:
The US stock markets are booming. But why?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/us-stock-markets-are-booming-but-why

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » March 8th, 2024, 8:21 am

ukmtk wrote:Meanwhile getting back to the original thread.
Thoughtful article by Kenneth Rogoff:
The US stock markets are booming. But why?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/us-stock-markets-are-booming-but-why

Nothing is stopping traders from trading :) The article discusses politics more, but very little of the economic factors of the stock market boom.

Return to “Investment Strategies”