Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

US Economy

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: US Economy

Postby SalvorHardin » February 20th, 2024, 6:34 pm

Lootman wrote:It proves as much as Ohno cherry-picking them as his two examples of US shares doing badly.

I am still waiting for the answer to my question about why the UK is likely to out-perform the US in any time period going forward? I just do not see it.

I can see the UK stockmarket outperforming the NYSE for a year or two if and when the market decides that UK multinationals are cheap. Moreso if the NYSE has a relatively poor year.

There is scope for UK company valuations to rise further if they move their headquarters from Britain to America and their primary stockmarket listing from London to Wall Street. I'm convinced that Diageo is moving soon; America is its biggest market by far and it recently switched its reporting currency to US dollars.

It won't last for long though because the UK has many problems that America does not, notably vastly higher energy prices, an increasingly hostile attitude towards business (and agriculture), NIBMY policies running riot to stop all sorts of development, ruinously high residential property prices (by government diktat) and an increasingly lazy low skilled population that thinks that the world owes it a living.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » February 20th, 2024, 11:08 pm

Lootman wrote:
simoan wrote:What does this prove? We’re just talking about share price movements now. All shares go up and down in price and you can look a genius or a fool in equal measure if you get your timing right or wrong. GE has been a total disaster over the long term.

It proves as much as Ohno cherry-picking them as his two examples of US shares doing badly.

I am still waiting for the answer to my question about why the UK is likely to out-perform the US in any time period going forward? I just do not see it.

For once we concur, I just cannot get excited over both the UK and Europe, I hold a little of each via ITs but essentially I am more comfortable with the prospects for Asia, North America and World ITs, buy and forget, stuff the timing, plough the dividends back in each year, rinse and repeat.

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » February 21st, 2024, 12:15 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
Lootman wrote:It proves as much as Ohno cherry-picking them as his two examples of US shares doing badly.

I can see the UK stockmarket outperforming the NYSE for a year or two if and when the market decides that UK multinationals are cheap. Moreso if the NYSE has a relatively poor year.

There is scope for UK company valuations to rise further if they move their headquarters from Britain to America and their primary stockmarket listing from London to Wall Street. I'm convinced that Diageo is moving soon; America is its biggest market by far and it recently switched its reporting currency to US dollars.

It won't last for long though because the UK has many problems that America does not, notably vastly higher energy prices, an increasingly hostile attitude towards business (and agriculture), NIBMY policies running riot to stop all sorts of development, ruinously high residential property prices (by government diktat) and an increasingly lazy low skilled population that thinks that the world owes it a living.

Anyone who thinks the US is a pure capitalist economy was clearly asleep during the housing crisis when the state owned mortgage companies aided and abetted Wall Street in a giant ponzi scheme. A similar process is underway now with debt backed executive share option schemes.

Don't get me wrong, the US is very entrepeuneurial and has many great businesses. But it's in the price and mortgaged up to the eyebrows.
Its constitution is no longer fit for purpose and is leading to stasis. Moreover, the US is abusing its position as the world's reserve currency. One day that will go wrong. It won't be tomorrow, probably not next week or in my lifetime.

Look, I am as much in despair at the state of the UK economy as anyone else, but looking around I don't see many better alternatives except maybe Australia. Europe has locked itself into a rigid exchange rate that is entirely unsuitable for its many different polities. That will break at some point. Again, I have no idea when, but it will happen.

I have just finished a book about the end of enlightenment when many smart writers eulogised the French revolution and write off Britain.
As time progressed, and they admitted their mistake, there was a grudging acceptance that the Britain's ability to muddle through without a grand plan seemed to work ok.

It seems to me that we just have to accept that the three driving forces of economic growth, and hence asset prices, over the last two centuries are coming to end.
Technology, booming population and falling energy costs raised living standards for 200 years.
Technology is still improving but not in the dramatic life-changing it has since the early 1800s.
Population growth is slowing and will soon turn negative on a global basis. If nothing else that simply reduces the addressable market for business.
Most importantly energy costs are rising in the developed world because of daft net zero policies. Cheaper energy has been the main driver of rising living standards since coal was widely adopted. Chasing more expensive alternatives in pursuit of an unrealistic goal will hurt consumers, economies and asset prices. If people are really worried about carbon emissions they need to tell one billion Indians they are never going to get air conditioning. Forcing people to buy EVs that last for half the time of an ICE won't do it.
As ever in investing it is about what offers a good return for the price rather than a global macro-overview.

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 21st, 2024, 7:34 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:

For once we concur, I just cannot get excited over both the UK and Europe, I hold a little of each via ITs but essentially I am more comfortable with the prospects for Asia, North America and World ITs, buy and forget, stuff the timing, plough the dividends back in each year, rinse and repeat.

Pretty much what I do - I think! I have global and US ETF trackers - all accumulation in a diverse range of industries. I too just want to sit back and let them do their stuff, but happy to do some modest tinkering. I just cannot see performance from the UK/Europe coming anywhere close to the US either - certainly not in the short/medium term.

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » February 23rd, 2024, 1:45 pm

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:Technology, booming population and falling energy costs raised living standards for 200 years.
Technology is still improving but not in the dramatic life-changing it has since the early 1800s.
Population growth is slowing and will soon turn negative on a global basis. If nothing else that simply reduces the addressable market for business.

There was a time when the head of the Royal Society said there would be no more new discoveries. That was around the 1800s.
I am sure that technology will be the driving force behind human development forever. Ever since technology defeated religion.

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » February 23rd, 2024, 3:01 pm

ZacSc wrote:
OhNoNotimAgain wrote:Technology, booming population and falling energy costs raised living standards for 200 years.

There was a time when the head of the Royal Society said there would be no more new discoveries. That was around the 1800s.
I am sure that technology will be the driving force behind human development forever. Ever since technology defeated religion.

Fair comment, and Lord Kelvin said heavier than air flying machines would never work.
Lots of clever people have made daft statements. Fortunately, I don't qualify.

However, I stand by my main point that, evidentially, lower energy costs have been the main driver of economic growth and increased prosperity.
If we prejudice that through misguided energy policies wealth will suffer.
And no amount of increased debt will mask it.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 23rd, 2024, 3:49 pm

ZacSc wrote:There was a time when the head of the Royal Society said there would be no more new discoveries. That was around the 1800s.

What is your evidence for stating that technology defeated religion? AFAIA there are still far more people around the World that are religious than not.

BoE

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Postby ukmtk » February 26th, 2024, 6:04 am

There was an interesting article in the Economist published yesterday.
It was about booming markets and the US in particular.
Its opinion is that the stellar performance of the US markets for the last 20 was due to unusually low interest and corporate tax rates.
This had benefited the bottom line for many US companies.
Its conclusion is that the good times are over and this will not be happening going forwards.

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » February 26th, 2024, 11:36 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
ZacSc wrote:There was a time when the head of the Royal Society said there would be no more new discoveries. That was around the 1800s.

What is your evidence for stating that technology defeated religion? AFAIA there are still far more people around the World that are religious than not.

BoE

I have no proof. Who has? :) All I know is that human religiosity is independent of technological development.
However, the Pope has finally recognized that the Earth revolves around the Sun. I don't remember what year, but many centuries after this discovery.
One more thing. Now people google instead of going to a priest with a question.

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » February 26th, 2024, 11:38 am

ukmtk wrote:There was an interesting article in the Economist published yesterday.
It was about booming markets and the US in particular.
Its opinion is that the stellar performance of the US markets for the last 20 was due to unusually low interest and corporate tax rates.
This had benefited the bottom line for many US companies.
Its conclusion is that the good times are over and this will not be happening going forwards.

I guess they started preparing society for bad times?

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » February 26th, 2024, 4:19 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:

BoE

You are right, but it is a new one called Climate Change and is impervious to geological evidence.

Members of this cult believe 4X4 SUVs are the embodiment of evil, before man starting burning coal he lived in a state of perfect harmony with nature and the climate never changed. But flights to conferences about climate change don't count. And wearing clothes made of synthetic material can be ignored. And no one thinks about how we grow our food using fertiliser made from natural gas.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 26th, 2024, 4:30 pm

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:What is your evidence for stating that technology defeated religion? AFAIA there are still far more people around the World that are religious than not.

You are right, but it is a new one called Climate Change and is impervious to geological evidence.

Members of this cult believe 4X4 SUVs are the embodiment of evil, before man starting burning coal he lived in a state of perfect harmony with nature and the climate never changed.

Hah! Another one.

You see? Religious beliefs never die... :)

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » February 26th, 2024, 4:53 pm

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:

BoE

Members of this cult believe 4X4 SUVs are the embodiment of evil, before man starting burning coal he lived in a state of perfect harmony with nature and the climate never changed. But flights to conferences about climate change don't count. And wearing clothes made of synthetic material can be ignored. And no one thinks about how we grow our food using fertiliser made from natural gas.

I don't think those denying the problem of climate change are in any position to talk about being "impervious to geological evidence". The scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, with huge, very bad, results if we don't phase out fossil fuels, is overwhelming. You seem to be saying "sounds a bit difficult to change direction to me, I'd rather just continue causing the problem". The "cult" I see here is that led by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Lawson and so on.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 26th, 2024, 7:52 pm

EthicsGradient wrote:
OhNoNotimAgain wrote:

I don't think those denying the problem of climate change are in any position to talk about being "impervious to geological evidence". The scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, with huge, very bad, results if we don't phase out fossil fuels, is overwhelming. You seem to be saying "sounds a bit difficult to change direction to me, I'd rather just continue causing the problem". The "cult" I see here is that led by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Lawson and so on.

Nobody denies that there is, and always has been, climate change. What is debated is the reason for the current period of warming. Some time the cycle will reverse, despite the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Will there then be calls to increase the level of emissions?

TJH

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 26th, 2024, 9:34 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
EthicsGradient wrote:I don't think those denying the problem of climate change are in any position to talk about being "impervious to geological evidence". The scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, with huge, very bad, results if we don't phase out fossil fuels, is overwhelming. You seem to be saying "sounds a bit difficult to change direction to me, I'd rather just continue causing the problem". The "cult" I see here is that led by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Lawson and so on.

Nobody denies that there is, and always has been, climate change. What is debated is the reason for the current period of warming. Some time the cycle will reverse, despite the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Will there then be calls to increase the level of emissions?

TJH

Hear hear!
When the cycle reverses the lack of calls will be deafening
- unless whatever comes after man has a similar voice box :D

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » February 26th, 2024, 11:36 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
EthicsGradient wrote:I don't think those denying the problem of climate change are in any position to talk about being "impervious to geological evidence". The scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, with huge, very bad, results if we don't phase out fossil fuels, is overwhelming. You seem to be saying "sounds a bit difficult to change direction to me, I'd rather just continue causing the problem". The "cult" I see here is that led by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Lawson and so on.

TJH

And that's why I put the word "anthropogenic" in (but there were people saying, just a decade ago, "no appreciable warming" - denial has taken several forms). No, the reason for the current period is not debated by scientists; it's denied by evil people like Lawson, and the world would be a lot better if no one listened to him. The chances of greenhouse gases dropping below pre-industrial levels are minute in the next few centuries, so it's a red herring to ask about it. It would take a massive effort to get a rate of decrease as large as the current rate of increase; I'm sure if we were ever to approach that, people would say "we can now do less to bury the CO2".

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » February 27th, 2024, 11:50 am

tjh290633 wrote:Nobody denies that there is, and always has been, climate change. What is debated is the reason for the current period of warming. Some time the cycle will reverse, despite the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Will there then be calls to increase the level of emissions?

TJH

In any case, there is not a single reason to increase deforestation, especially of tropical forests. I would even insist on increasing the planting of new trees. Even if it doesn't lower the planet's temperature much, we'll get more oxygen.
All in all, if we don't know the causes of the current warming cycle, that doesn't stop us from taking care of ourselves.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 27th, 2024, 12:59 pm

ZacSc wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Nobody denies that there is, and always has been, climate change. What is debated is the reason for the current period of warming. Some time the cycle will reverse, despite the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Will there then be calls to increase the level of emissions?

if we don't know the causes of the current warming cycle, that doesn't stop us from taking care of ourselves.

Surely if you know that you do not understand what is causing any change then you cannot know what to do about it? Because you might just be making things worse instead of better.

ZacSc

Postby ZacSc » February 28th, 2024, 9:21 am

Lootman wrote:
ZacSc wrote:if we don't know the causes of the current warming cycle, that doesn't stop us from taking care of ourselves.

Surely if you know that you do not understand what is causing any change then you cannot know what to do about it? Because you might just be making things worse instead of better.

You deleted most of my post, cut my words out of the context of what was said. And that's important. If there wasn't huge deforestation in the past, as there is today, then we can safely assume that planet Earth has stopped handling such a huge amount of carbon dioxide with the same efficiency as before.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 28th, 2024, 9:30 am

ZacSc wrote:
Lootman wrote:Surely if you know that you do not understand what is causing any change then you cannot know what to do about it? Because you might just be making things worse instead of better.

You deleted most of my post, cut my words out of the context of what was said. And that's important. If there wasn't huge deforestation in the past, as there is today, then we can safely assume that planet Earth has stopped handling such a huge amount of carbon dioxide with the same efficiency as before.

We'd save a lot of CO2 and energy if we stopped feeding the trolls ;)

Return to “Investment Strategies”