Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

AI correction

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: AI correction

Postby tjh290633 » April 21st, 2024, 10:55 pm

GoSeigen wrote:How far this community has strayed from the principles of the founders of The Motley Fool -- that you don't have to just buy the products of the Wise but can DYOR and invest directly in individual shares! "You can't beat the market" is so defeatist, swallowing the ETF industry marketing pitch without even chewing. Mind you I spent much of the last 18 years writing about the merits of gilts and bonds so I guess I can't really talk...

GS

As you will know, I have essentially followed the HYP route for the past 36 years with reasonable success. The fortune of my portfolio roughly followed the market, as measured by the FTSE100, until the turn of the century, since when it has left the market behind. I attribute this to a number of factors, avoiding dot-com shares being one, equal weighting being another. The path is never smooth, but measuring progress by the income received is a better way. Having said that, the last financial year shows a marked fall because of previous special dividends from mining shares not continuing.

TJH

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 22nd, 2024, 8:14 am

tjh290633 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:How far this community has strayed from the principles of the founders of The Motley Fool -- that you don't have to just buy the products of the Wise but can DYOR and invest directly in individual shares! "You can't beat the market" is so defeatist, swallowing the ETF industry marketing pitch without even chewing. Mind you I spent much of the last 18 years writing about the merits of gilts and bonds so I guess I can't really talk...

GS

As you will know, I have essentially followed the HYP route for the past 36 years with reasonable success. The fortune of my portfolio roughly followed the market, as measured by the FTSE100, until the turn of the century, since when it has left the market behind. I attribute this to a number of factors, avoiding dot-com shares being one, equal weighting being another. The path is never smooth, but measuring progress by the income received is a better way. Having said that, the last financial year shows a marked fall because of previous special dividends from mining shares not continuing.

TJH

You've certainly stuck the course TJH, as I have often said certain HYP people try to deny it but HYP is ultimately a market-timing / stock-picking strategy albeit quite crude in its purer form. A HYP investor would not buy a particular share unless and until its dividend yield is sufficiently high; as such you certainly care about share price and it's not surprising your portfolio has at least followed the market.

Any quarrel we've had has always been about fixed interest investments and their valuation. I consider gilts to have run their course now so that moves me firmly into your team favouring a full allocation to equities. I'm not sure I'll ever adopt HYP as such but dividend yield is a major factor for my stock selection if only because dividends have such a direct effect on duration and therefore managing risk.

The book "The Stock Market - 50 Years of Capitalism at Work" by John Littlewood was extremely informative for me; the current market setup looks remarkably similar to that in the late 1940s or early 1950s: yields for many excellent businesses are higher than for decades yet everyone hates the stockmarket/individual shares and so far have refused to drive prices higher. I fully expect that to change over the next twenty years, I hope you hang around long enough to enjoy a good part of the repricing!

GS

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:24 am

GoSeigen wrote:The book "The Stock Market - 50 Years of Capitalism at Work" by John Littlewood was extremely informative for me; the current market setup looks remarkably similar to that in the late 1940s or early 1950s: yields for many excellent businesses are higher than for decades yet everyone hates the stockmarket/individual shares and so far have refused to drive prices higher. I fully expect that to change over the next twenty years, I hope you hang around long enough to enjoy a good part of the repricing!

GS

Thank you for that kind thought. It may well be that we are in for a deja vu period. It all boils down to reliable dividend payers being consistent performers, and picking them is a good way to ensure at least keeping abreast of the market.

TJH

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » April 22nd, 2024, 11:00 am

Turns out Amazon's self check outs powered by AI, is in reality 1,000 people in India watching 24-7! Lol. AI = A lot of Indians :)

Problem with AI will be a) if Meta, Google stop buying AI chips in the volumes they have done, as the stock valuation is based on crazy growth levels, b) when Meta, MS, Google try to monetize AI.

Would you pay a monthly subscription for ChatGPT on top of your MS 365 subscription? I guess not many would. Its handy when free, but personally can't see paying for it.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » April 26th, 2024, 7:24 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Degsy67 wrote:No agenda. I’m all for debate. Best of luck with those innate set of skills.

Degsy

You might at least state your assumptions clearly. You're assuming markets price stocks correctly. They do not. Far from it. If markets mostly priced stocks correctly your faith in the power of trackers might be justified. But there are at least three basic flaws in the method as far as I can see:

1. People who buy index trackers don't care a jot what price the individual stocks trade at. That means they will pay whatever price is bid by a savvy seller or take whatever price is offered by a savvy buyer [ignoring the fundamental value of the businesses]. For all one hundred (or however many) components. If you want to know why banks have been trading so cheaply for so long this may be one reason. [It's worth noting that these tracker funds have both outflows and inflows.]
2. If they don't care for the price of the individual stocks the corollary is that they don't care about the price of the entire index either! And as usual many of them will be buying at a poor price and selling at a poor price (both for reason 1. and because many are poor timers of the market for whatever reason).
3. A large enough stock of people who don't care about prices implies that much of the time stocks are mispriced. This means not only that the careless investors are losing money on their trades, it also means that with the entire market mispriced, capital is being inefficiently allocated and returns of the entire market will suffer as capital is allocated to poor businesses at the expense of good ones. This further reduces returns to careless investors so they are shooting themselves twice, once in each foot!

Because of the above I believe tracker buyers, especially if they do it without any real care for value, are ripe for exploitation by savvy active investors. Given the undeniable fashion for theses things I think any investor who aspires to actually do what investing is about should largely avoid them and rather focus on individual stocks.

Just a quick aside on why "average returns" might not be particularly attractive:
1. What average are you talking about?
2. If the distribution of returns is skewed (not normally distributed/uneven tails) then are you still happy with an average outcome?
3. If the average/mean itself is worse than it might otherwise have been because of capital misallocation then are you happy with that?
4. How does it help to get the average return over a period if you buy at too high a price and the start and sell at too low a price at the end of the period?

GS
P.S. The above is grounded in my admittedly rusty and average ;-) A-level/engineering-degree-level understanding of statistical maths. Happy for more knowledgeable fools to educate me if I've gone wrong. Or if a mathematician could express the above ideas in clear and simple mathematical expressions that would be wonderful too.

The market is the collective wisdom of millions (billions) of people and computational power, if there is even a high probability of mispricing such as 60/40 odds of a rise/fall - that will be arbitraged out of the market rapidly, typically by those with large financial resources and computer power - to the extent that some even have their computers placed very close to the actual market in order to gain the nano seconds advantage that light speed data transfer conveys at. Some with their single brain and laptop opine that they can outsmart that collective, easier seen with hindsight, foresight however is more inclined to yield below average (market) results.

The average is good, most don't even achieve that (costs/taxes). Similarly most don't lump all-in or all-out at single points in time, more typically they buy (save) over many years, sell (spend) over retirement years. Japan 1989 peak subsequently looked bad over the lost-two-decades, but the average investor adding the same inflation adjusted savings amount each year in the lead up to that, and subsequent same inflation adjusted withdrawal rate from 1990 onward - still resulted in reasonable outcome. Below the broader all-time average, but still OK.

Yes with all averaging in/out some shares will have been purchased at highs, some sold at lows, but it averages (median) out via time-averaging in/out. Other cases will have purchased at lows, sold at highs. Some additionally like to combine stocks and bonds as the periodic rebalancing between those back to target weightings is yet another form of overall averaging/smoothing.

Not caring about what stocks are in the index, or the price paid (sold for) at the time - is not ignorance. It's recognition that with low costs and taxes they're more inclined to achieve the average - that is more than what many will achieve, and is more often good-enough. In contrast those that opine their single brain and laptop can do better than that average more often leads to outcomes worse than had they instead saved into/spent from a cash deposit account. If xyz is thought to be cheap by one, another who sells that person their shares does so in the opinion that its a good time to sell those shares, basic price discovery.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » April 26th, 2024, 7:45 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

GS

TJH

Left the FTSE100 for standing, not the market. Has been similar to FTSE250 which in turn has been similar to US mid caps, which are more towards equal weighting than the large cap indexes where there's no route to eject the largest out of the top - rides those largest all the way up, and all the way back down again. The FTSE100 has been dragged down by its particular stock set/weightings, got hit by the dot com bubble bursting and then again in 2008/9 financial crisis due to its high weighting to banks at that time. More recently the S&P500 is showing the other side of that relative concentration risk/reward, has been advanced ahead of others due to 7 or so stocks (to the extent that the entire FTSE100 market cap is relatively little larger than the market cap of a single US stock).

Yes initial equal weighting is good, equal probability assumption at that point in time, either leaving that as-is (original HYP style) or periodic rebalancing back towards equal weightings. Buying in at the existing market cap (index) is buying into a bias towards yesterdays relative strongest/best, a momentum play rather than a initial equalisation stance. £100 invested into 100 stocks and allocating one £10 leaves less in the others - is a concentrated bet that that one stock will relatively outperform and where the odds are stacked against that.

Providing costs are kept low, not full rebalancing all back to equal weightings (expensive) - as you do with your own HYP via selective partial rebalancing of individuals, then that has the better risk-adjusted reward probability. 50/50 in two assets left as is may end up with 80/20 weightings, have time averaged more in the better performing asset. However rebalancing whilst maintaining 50/50 balance tends to yield comparable rewards - volatility trading gains so-to-speak. Whereas with 50/50 the risk is lower, if for instance the 80 value stock of the 80/20 were to declare bankruptcy you've lost more than if that had been 50 weighted. Rebalancing is predominately a risk-reduction measure, at least in the very broad/average sense.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 27th, 2024, 8:49 am

1nvest wrote:The market is the collective wisdom of millions (billions) of people and computational power,

Sorry not an adherent of the EMH orthodoxy. That should be obvious by now.

A rational market participant does not pay what a security is worth. He pays as little as he can get away with. And similar with selling. ETF buyers don't care what price they pay. The rest of my argument follows.

GS

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » April 27th, 2024, 9:02 am

In the lastest quarterly figures to March, for Microsoft said their spending 14 billion for the quarter on AI. Google and Meta similar. Yet despite this generating free cash flow (after capex) of 17-21 billion for the quarter. These tech Co's are huge cash machines. I think the future issue this year for Nvidia will be when they either build the chips in-house or slow their buying.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » April 28th, 2024, 4:40 am

GoSeigen wrote:
1nvest wrote:The market is the collective wisdom of millions (billions) of people and computational power,

Sorry not an adherent of the EMH orthodoxy. That should be obvious by now.

A rational market participant does not pay what a security is worth. He pays as little as he can get away with. And similar with selling. ETF buyers don't care what price they pay. The rest of my argument follows.

As are there participants with huge resources and leverage capacity looking to identify/exploit even the most smallest of opportunities. Washes out the rest of your argument.

Return to “Investment Strategies”