Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Half a Very smug smile

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Half a Very smug smile

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm

One thing from TMF that LemonFool lacks is any kind of board for Growth Investment or GARP. I guess Fools have very little to say on the subject. But they're investment strategies, so this board will have to do.

My very smug smile is that my call from http://boards.fool.co.uk/ssp-group-13110140.aspx has come to pass: SSP group has double-bagged from the time of my call, and within the three years I said I would call an outright success.

It's only half a smug smile, because it's only double-bagged when measured in a much-devalued pound sterling, a measure by which a mid-cap double-bagging isn't really much of an achievement. I no longer expect it to achieve that target when measured in a more serious currency like Dollars or Euros (though I still hold, so I won't complain if it does :) ).

I'm not making any new growth or GARP call today. Or rather, anything I might call is going to be on an altogether higher risk scale. Anyone else?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Half a Very smug smile

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 31st, 2017, 11:39 pm

It's only half a smug smile

OK, it's a full smug smile. At three years, it's up by 139% in sterling, which means it's successfully double-bagged (albeit with a margin of just 1%) measured in dollars.

GARP rules OK! 8-) Though at today's price I think you'd be looking for outright Growth.

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Half a Very smug smile

Postby dspp » November 1st, 2017, 4:43 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:One thing from TMF that LemonFool lacks is any kind of board for Growth Investment or GARP. I guess Fools have very little to say on the subject. But they're investment strategies, so this board will have to do.

1. Well done.

2. Just a thought. Would it help if a new board was set up called (say) "Growth & Value Share Strategies", and the "Investment Strategies" board was slightly re-titled to become "Other Investment Share Strategies". ????

3. In answer to your other quest personally I have some growth / value ideas running alongside my 30+ share HYP (which included a PFAC addition that could be termed a value play, and thank you fellow Fools for pointing it out):

a) lowest risk: index trackers (VUKE/VERX/VAPX/VWRL) to access a very wide range of stuff over the very long term. Not exciting maybe.
b) medium risk: a fairly large Shell & BP position to access what I see as a cyclical industry that was very underpriced when I bought in and is moving back into favour. I still hold and expect to do so for quite a few years to come, but am not topping it up any more.
c) high risk: a large (for me) position in a single share (HUR) which is an interesting oil exploration play - but it completely maxes out my appetite for risk for the next 2-4 years !!!
d) so I am very interested to watch and learn from what other people are doing but HUR has me overdosed on risk.
e) in a portfolio for a friend there is a position in PatVal (CAK) which looks to be an interesting growth play, and which I think could be an M&A target one day.

regards, dspp

Return to “Investment Strategies”