Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A Good Year

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

A Good Year

Postby GeoffF100 » January 1st, 2018, 7:42 pm

Its been a good year. Here are the results for some Vanguard trackers:

FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund +15.18%
FTSE U.K. All Share Index Unit Trust +13.24%
FTSE Emerging Markets UCITS ETF +17.45%
Global Bond Index Fund +2.3%

Of course, this tells us nothing about what will happen next year. Nonetheless, I thought it might be of interest.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Good Year

Postby hiriskpaul » January 1st, 2018, 8:41 pm

The EM results look wrong to me, I think it should be around +25% including dividends. HL Charts for the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund:

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discount ... ion/charts

I hold the iShares EM ETF (EMIM), which follows the MSCI index rather than FTSE and that is up 25% as well.

Results would have been even better if it had not been for the pound appreciating 6% against the dollar over the year!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Good Year

Postby GeoffF100 » January 1st, 2018, 9:57 pm

I have been careless here. I took my numbers from the Vanguard site. These numbers are for 1 Dec 16 to 30 Nov 17. Sorry about that.

The Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund is an OEIC, and includes South Korea, which duplicates South Korea in Vanguard Developed World ex UK. I know that is nuts, but that is how it is. The Vanguard Emerging Markets ETF VFEM, does not duplicate South Korea, or anywhere else. I therefore hold VFEM to partner Vanguard Developed World ex UK. The Vanguard performance number for VFEM is for NAV, whereas the numbers for the others are for total return, so I have been unhelpful there too.

Perhaps, I should rework the numbers, but I guess it does not matter too much. No doubt Vanguard will catch up with the OEIC data, but I would have to work out the VFEM total return myself. The market capitalisation of the VFEM markets only account for about 10% of the market capitalisation of the Vanguard Developed World ex UK markets, so the VFEM numbers do not greatly affect the big picture for a market weighted portfolio.

Return to “Investment Strategies”