Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

E bike recommendation

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Re: E bike recommendation

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 23rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

scotia wrote:Below 12 mph is not a problem - hopefully they will be falling behind my bicycle. But above 12mph - that's the danger area, and they will be allowed silent running? It looks like I'll need a hearing aid!

As a cyclist I'm nearly silent and don't have a problem with it. Neither do I have a problem with other near-silent vehicles, including bigger ones.

Many years ago when I cycled with a club, we had a member who was profoundly deaf. A reminder (if you need one) that noise is not a safety feature that exempts one from due care and attention.

I, for one, would welcome a world of far less traffic noise. Along with other pollution.

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » November 23rd, 2018, 6:31 pm

Many years ago when I cycled with a club, we had a member who was profoundly deaf

I am sure your deaf cycling club member had learn't to make the most of whatever senses remained, I have cycled with someone who is blind, but to suggest that such disabilities are not in fact a handicap to safety is just daft.

Howard
2 Lemon pips

Postby Howard » November 23rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

scotia wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
colin wrote:Me too and the arrival of electric vehicles has shown just how much I have come to rely on my ears to know whats behind me, someone in my locality has one of those single person electric bugy things which has shocked me a couple of times when it has silently whooshed past me at 30mph. Electric vehicles will become ubiquitous and they need to be forced to make some noise for the sake of road safety.

It will be the law next year that electric vehicles will have to emit a noise to warn others of their presence. However this will only be when travelling below 12 mph. Above that speed it is assumed that tyre noise is sufficient.
John

Below 12 mph is not a problem - hopefully they will be falling behind my bicycle. But above 12mph - that's the danger area, and they will be allowed silent running? It looks like I'll need a hearing aid!

Presumably you are emitting a continuous loud sound when cycling to warn pedestrians. :D

As a non-electric cyclist I have frightened many a walker on our country roads particularly when zooming downhill. I don't think I ever frightened walkers in my wife's electric car because its wide tyres made a significant noise. My current petrol-driven car is virtually silent when rolling slowly through a car park, so ironically will electric cars be forced to be noisier than petrol models at slow speeds?

regards

Howard

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » November 23rd, 2018, 10:29 pm

Presumably you are emitting a continuous loud sound when cycling to warn pedestrians

When approaching pedestrians close enough that they may stray into my path I announce my presence, the same when approaching horses from behind.
The problem I see with silent motorized vehicles is that keeping to a straight line on a bicycle is almost impossible but when I hear a vehicle approaching from behind I keep to the side as much as the road surface will allow but that doesn't mean I want to ride in the gutter all the time.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » November 24th, 2018, 1:04 am

colin wrote:

The problem I see with silent motorized vehicles is that keeping to a straight line on a bicycle is almost impossible but when I hear a vehicle approaching from behind I keep to the side as much as the road surface will allow but that doesn't mean I want to ride in the gutter all the time.

I'm sorry but that is the wrong approach. You should hold your position in the road and make the following vehicle move around you. By hugging the kerb you put yourself in the worst bit of road and encourage cars to make unsafe passes.

John

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » November 24th, 2018, 11:48 am

I'm sorry but that is the wrong approach. You should hold your position in the road and make the following vehicle move around you.

Might sound fine in theory but on narrow roads and country lanes many drivers are just not tolerant enough to put up with that approach, they choose instead to try and pass me as closely as they might pass a parked car, which is quite scary on a bike which can't travel in a straight line at slow speeds, and as is usual with cycling I just have to make the best of a bad situation .

scotia
Lemon Slice

Postby scotia » November 24th, 2018, 7:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
colin wrote:

I'm sorry but that is the wrong approach. You should hold your position in the road and make the following vehicle move around you. By hugging the kerb you put yourself in the worst bit of road and encourage cars to make unsafe passes.

John

In theory I agree with John, but in practice I side with Colin.

Lanark
Lemon Pip

Postby Lanark » November 24th, 2018, 8:53 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
colin wrote:

John

My approach has always been to hold a position in the road and then only pull over slightly once the car behind has slowed down to bike speed.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » November 25th, 2018, 9:12 am

My point was meant to be a general one but clearly individual circumstances will require specific actions.

I think the general point to remember is that you have as much right to be on the road as any motorist and they have no absolute right to overtake you at will.

I live on one of the main road into my home town. At the weekend I often see a horse and cart riding down my road the mile and a half into the city centre. It moves much more slowly than a bicycle. Cars have to wait behind until it is safe to pass...they should do the same with you on a bike.

The width of my road is such that if you cycle about a metre out from the kerb then it is not safe for a car to pass while there is oncoming traffic and 99% of drivers will not try. If you ride in the gutter then about 20% of drivers will attempt a pass even with oncoming traffic...this is clearly more dangerous for you.

Ride safe.

John

gvonge

Postby gvonge » November 27th, 2018, 11:31 am

redsturgeon wrote:I think the general point to remember is that you have as much right to be on the road as any motorist

Strictly speaking, motorists don't have any 'right' to be on the road (they require a licence to be there).

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 27th, 2018, 11:49 am

gvonge wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I think the general point to remember is that you have as much right to be on the road as any motorist

Strictly speaking, motorists don't have any 'right' to be on the road (they require a licence to be there).

More importantly, I like to remember who will come off worse in a collision, and behave accordingly: I try not to encourage motorists to "squeeze past", whilst also trying not to antagonise them by blocking the road unnecessarily. I suspect that I get it wrong occasionally (at least from the motorist's PoV) but generally, cycling with a mindset of "don't be a dick" and acknowledging considerate behaviour* seems to work, if only to improve my mental state!

VRD

*Especially truck drivers that have slowed down, then pull out wide to overtake - you can usually spot them in their near-side wing mirror and give a wave just as the back of the wagon has passed.

Return to “Cycling”