Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Halfords - free 48hr electric bike trial

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Halfords - free 48hr electric bike trial

Postby Itsallaguess » March 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm

I know there's lots of interest nowadays in electric bikes, so I thought I'd post about the Halfords free trials that are currently available for them.

You can pop into any store and carry out a free 30 minute trial there and then, and this has been available for a while now, but I've also recently discovered that Halfords also offer a free 48-hour trial period too, which sounds really enticing as we start to enter the warmer-weather period.

Some details here for anyone interested in either trial-scheme -

https://www.halfords.com/advice/cycling ... foreyoubuy

The link above goes to the section on that page regarding the free trials themselves, but scrolling up a little will also reveal where details of their current range of electric bikes can be found.

Of course we'll hope that anyone taking up any of these great Halfords trial-offers might also please post about their experiences here, with details of makes/models etc......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Halfords - free 48hr electric bike trial

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 9th, 2019, 6:12 pm

But would you buy a bike from Halfords? Bear in mind that, unless you're particularly lucky, it'll be set up by someone who neither knows nor cares about bikes, and is likely to be more of a chore than a pleasure to ride. The kind of bike that spends most of its time sitting unloved in a shed.

Is an electric bike sufficiently different? I suspect it would have to be a lot heavier - closer to a petrol moped than a bike - for inexpert set up to cease to matter.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » March 9th, 2019, 6:16 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
But would you buy a bike from Halfords?

Perhaps not, but as a flexible and free introduction to the modern e-bike technology, and given the large national coverage of the Halfords outlets, I think it's perhaps worthwhile that people might have the opportunity to learn about these options being available.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 10th, 2019, 6:21 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Is an electric bike sufficiently different? I suspect it would have to be a lot heavier - closer to a petrol moped than a bike - for inexpert set up to cease to matter.

Depending on cost (as always) ebikes can be as low as 14kg but 17-18 kg seems to be par. Yesterday on our cappuccino ride (40 miles) we went out into a 30 mph headwind and of course had the tailwind on return. And that I imagine is what riding an eBike is like; riding with a tailwind.

I am lining one up for my 70th, but not from Halfords.

todthedog
2 Lemon pips

Postby todthedog » March 10th, 2019, 6:42 am

Moved to hilly West Wales, we converted our old bikes to ebikes and now use them all the time.
They are nothing fancy sit up old bikes heavyish before, distinctly heavy now 20 kg+. It does not matter hills and windy days are doable.
I have dodgy knees and neither of us in the first flush of youth.
If it is free give it a go!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » March 10th, 2019, 7:42 am

todthedog wrote:
Moved to hilly West Wales, we converted our old bikes to ebikes and now use them all the time.

They are nothing fancy sit up old bikes heavyish before, distinctly heavy now 20 kg+. It does not matter hills and windy days are doable.

I have dodgy knees and neither of us in the first flush of youth.

If it is free give it a go!

That conversion job sounds interesting - are you able to give any details and links to the kit you used?

Was the job relatively straight-forward?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Slice

Postby scotia » March 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:I am lining one up for my 70th, but not from Halfords.

I bought one (from Halfords) in anticipation of my 75th - and its had lots of use. Its a bright morning, so I'll soon be off to a local nature reserve. About a 15 miles round trip. It should reduce my weight, but unfortunately it also makes me feel hungry.

todthedog
2 Lemon pips

Postby todthedog » March 11th, 2019, 11:32 am

I used Electric Bike Conversions
tel 01438 986007
enquiries@electricbikeconversions.co.uk
I went for a 250 w front hub conversion looked the easiest to do. Battery mounted on rear rack option.
I did it,so idiot proof ;)
From memory 11Ah battery cost £425
Good instructions and youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDwVtS ... m2A/videos

hope this helps

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

scotia wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:I am lining one up for my 70th, but not from Halfords.

I bought one (from Halfords) in anticipation of my 75th - and its had lots of use. Its a bright morning, so I'll soon be off to a local nature reserve. About a 15 miles round trip. It should reduce my weight, but unfortunately it also makes me feel hungry.

The endless dilemma! I went to Majorca a few years ago, rode 500 miles in seven days and put some weight on. Help yourself to a gorgeous buffet didn't help

Return to “Cycling”