Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Halfords - free 48hr electric bike trial

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Halfords - free 48hr electric bike trial

Postby Snorvey » August 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

but should we infer that he also has no brakes

I think you push the handle forward to go and pull back on it to slow down. One handed operation so you can take selfies during your journey and upload to Instawank on the move.

In my book, a last-mile mode of transport is correctly described as a hearse.

In the case of these hipster clowns....well, we can only hope.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 6th, 2019, 7:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:In my book, a last-mile mode of transport is correctly described as a hearse. ;)

BJ

So why do you re-hearse before the main event?

How fast do those thing go? If faster than walking then brakes - or at least some decent braking capacity - would seem essential. If not, what's the point?

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 6th, 2019, 7:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:In my book, a last-mile mode of transport is correctly described as a hearse. ;)

BJ

So why do you re-hearse before the main event?

How fast do those thing go? If faster than walking then brakes - or at least some decent braking capacity - would seem essential. If not, what's the point?

12.5mph (so around 4 times average walking speed) according to the article. No doubt there will be some sort of mod available to boost that number.

If that thing clouts a bairn, it'll do some damage.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 6th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Snorvey wrote:12.5mph (so around 4 times average walking speed) according to the article. No doubt there will be some sort of mod available to boost that number.

If that thing clouts a bairn, it'll do some damage.

Exactly. Not so fast as to be a serious risk to the able-bodied rider in a fall, but plenty fast enough to do damage in a collision. Could get scary on the downhill, too.

I guess the real question is how much control you have. Perhaps a skateboard would be a comparison?

daveh
Lemon Slice

Postby daveh » August 7th, 2019, 12:55 pm

For a start e-bikes only go if you pedal*. Ie the motor provides assistance when you pedal and not otherwise. If a e-bike is twist and go it is an electric motorbike, requires type approval, the rider has to have appropriate insurance and wear appropriate PPE.

An e-bike is limited to a 250W motor and assistance has to cut out at ~15.8mph. If it doesn't it is a an electric motorbike, requires type approval, the rider has to have appropriate insurance and wear appropriate PPE.

I'm told (but have never tried one) that an electric scooter can do over 30mph, the small wheels mean they are inherently less stable than a bike (the gyroscopic stabilising effect of the larger wheels makes the bike more stable).

* there is a walk assist mode that works without pedalling, but it is exactly that - walk assist it is limited to walking pace (4.5mph) and I've never used it.

I own an electric bike ( and 3 normal bikes) I use it to commute (some of the time) the 15 miles each way to work instead of taking my car. It has the advantage that

1) I can do the journey in under 1hr no matter the weather conditions (at least I have so far) as it allows me to stay at around 15mph most of the time even into strong winds

2) I still get plenty of exercise as it doesn't go unless you pedal, I can generally keep the speed above the 15mph cut off so generally its me doing all the work (unless I'm cycling into a strong headwind).

3)When I get to work I'm generally not all hot and flustered (except when I'm overtaken by some speeding mamil and my competitive urges are triggered and I try my damdest not to be dropped - its hard when you have to power ~8kg of battery and motor around on hybrid bike).

4) It means I'm actually doing the cycle commute - before I bought the electric bike I'd stopped as it was starting to take me too long especially in inclement weather - think strong headwinds.

I find the attitude that your not a real cyclist, or that you are cheating if you have an electric bike very unhelpful.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:What's the difference between an eScooter and an eBike?

The e-bike is a normal bicycle- but in addition it has a small hub mounted electric motor which provides (at maximum) about one third of a horse power - and it only operates if you use the pedals - i.e. it is electrically assisted - and usually you can select one of three assistance levels. You can also choose to ride it without the electrical assistance. The motor cuts out if you brake, or if you stop pedalling, or if you exceed a certain speed (usually around 15mph on maximum assist ). It is legal to ride it as for a normal bike - although you need to be over 14 years old.
As far as I am aware it is only legal to ride an e-scooter in the UK on private premises - although I have seen them illegally running on pavements in our village. The e-scooter looks exactly like a kid's scooter, but driver simply stands on the scooter and lets an electric motor provide the propulsion.
(Edit - I see that most of the points I have made above have already been adequately covered. So let me also agree with the sentiments as to how useful a e-bike is. At 75, I get much more exercise with a e-bike that I would have on a normal bike, and I do it without scaring my family into thinking I could provoke a heart attack!)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 7th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Ah, I thought there was a powered/no pedal mode on eBikes- obviously not
(although a powered 15mph is going to be less harmful than a pedalled 20mph+)

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » August 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm

daveh wrote:I find the attitude that your not a real cyclist, or that you are cheating if you have an electric bike very unhelpful.

Can I suggest that you spend a few minutes retuning your irony filter? It seems to have gone on the blink.

It's always fair game to take a few snidey elbow-jabs at people who've found effortless ways to circumvent the usual physical sweat and strain. Let me give you an analogy.

If I were to tell you that I had built enormous arm muscles and flattened my stomach by sitting in a chair and using an electronic tens machine, instead of flattening myself on the weightlifting bench in the usual way, you might very well feel the same way about me. (Scornful but also vaguely jealous? ;) )

Okay, you can relax, because I haven't..... (I do have a weight-loss tens machine in a drawer somewhere, but I couldn't be @rsed to use it. :lol:

If you can fix that irony filter of yours, I think you'll find that there's a fair degree of receptivity here to the idea of e-bikes. They are, in essence, a good idea, which was where this tread originally started. But, as the Parisian experience with dangerous and irritating urban e-scooters has shown, not all of the new e-machines are quite so obviously a good thing. And won't be until their owners have been persuaded to behave like responsible adults. We may be waiting a while.

BJ

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Okay, you can relax, because I haven't..... (I do have a weight-loss tens machine in a drawer somewhere, but I couldn't be @rsed to use it. :lol:

Last time I saw one of those used it was many many years ago and it was attached to someone's bits (voluntarily and for 'a laugh' - I think it was on TV prog Jackass or something).

But yes, you're right. Laddish banter is the order of the day.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » August 7th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:Last time I saw one of those used it was many many years ago and it was attached to someone's bits (voluntarily and for 'a laugh' - I think it was on TV prog Jackass or something).

OMG, they warn you in no uncertain terms not to use electro shock devices across the torso, left to right. It's a good way to stop your heart, apparently. Vertical alignment works better, but not on that muscle. :lol:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm

My e-bike is a folding model, so can be transported in the car boot. When I'm up in the more northerly regions I think it may be a good idea to search for Snorvey's hill - and wait for him to pass, then go after him at full power, shouting rude comments about those unfit fellows who make a song and dance about a wee hill. :lol:

Return to “Cycling”