Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lock em up

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
88V8
Lemon Half

Lock em up

Postby 88V8 » April 13th, 2021, 10:39 am

My wife's cycling has definitely diminished. Well, she is 70 with a hip replacement and we live on a steep hill.

Looking at e-bikes, they are all in the £££ range. And soooo stealable.

Is it actually possible to secure them, when out and about?

V8

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Lock em up

Postby Mike4 » April 13th, 2021, 12:15 pm

88V8 wrote:My wife's cycling has definitely diminished. Well, she is 70 with a hip replacement and we live on a steep hill.

Looking at e-bikes, they are all in the £££ range. And soooo stealable.

Is it actually possible to secure them, when out and about?

V8

As with all bikes, I'd say its not just the whole thing being stolen you need to guard against, but component theft too. My son had the back wheel taken off his bike many years ago for example, when the rest of it was reasonably well locked to the bike stands in the town centre. With good bikes designed for easy roadside maintenance nowadays, pretty much any component can be quickly removed with a pocket toolkit, so in summary, I think the answer to your question is "no".

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm

You would have thought more expensive bikes attracted more thefts but tbh I've known all sorts of bikes get stolen from all sorts of places. My brother had a road bike stolen from his (unsecured) garden shed which set back deep in a private cul-de-sac but fairly open if that makes sense. Stupid of my brother in a way but also a little unlucky in others. We had bikes stolen from a bike rack at work. Quite close to the building with both car and pedestrian traffic but they made the mistake of making it enclosed and non visible from three sides.

What I do:

I have a good standard D-lock (think it was about £35).
I put in through the frame, front wheel and a good fixed point (bike rack/fence). Takes a bit of practice but once you have you can easily get a nice tight hold that prevents easy opening.
I am careful where I live it. Absolutely never in a secluded or not overlooked spot, even during the day. I would rather walk 100 metres if needs be.
Anywhere overnight is dodgy and should be avoided but if not refer to the above and keep your fingers crossed.

I thought a lot of ebikes had smaller and/or removable batteries these days which makes it easier.

I think with a little care and thought you can prevent a theft.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 13th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Thankyou.
There does seem to be a trend for built-in batteries.
This one for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Turbo-Como-4-0-700c-Low-Entry-Electric-Bike-E-Bike/294106596418?hash=item447a1e8442:g:pPUAAOSwLAVgbGfB

As I've pretty much given up riding - I gave away my Specialized push bike last weekend - we're not likely to do any country pottering, so she only cycles to the shops, daytime.

I also have a concern about these bikes with their electronics, especially given the dearth of bike shops nowadays, but there is a shop six miles away that handles Specialized.
I suppose eventually the traditional bike will become a niche, like the penny farthing.

V8

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 13th, 2021, 10:47 pm

88V8 wrote:so she only cycles to the shops, daytime.

Depending on where you live sounds pretty low risk. Especially if follow advice above.

88V8 wrote:I also have a concern about these bikes with their electronics, especially given the dearth of bike shops nowadays, but there is a shop six miles away that handles Specialized.

Not sure there is a lot that can go wrong or servicing of the electrics required tbh.

88V8 wrote:I suppose eventually the traditional bike will become a niche, like the penny farthing.

Very much doubt that tbh. Many people cycle for sport, exercise, pleasure, short commutes. And e-bikes are a bit more pricey. Sure e-bikes are a major thing not least because it helps to keep some people on their bikes liker your wife or gets people that are less fit to use a bike. Thus it partly creates it's own market.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 16th, 2021, 9:03 am

Have you seen the Van Moof bikes. The are tracked if stolen and the company find them and return them to you. They get great reviews as a bike too.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB/electric-bikes

John

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 2nd, 2021, 11:09 pm

Read in The Times that only 6% of thefts are from the street.
Around 50% from sheds or garages :o
Lock them up too.

V8 (bike shed no lock)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 3rd, 2021, 11:56 am

88V8 wrote:Read in The Times that only 6% of thefts are from the street.
Around 50% from sheds or garages :o

Did it have anything to say on the subject of the other 46%? Any classifications used might throw some light on the definitions they used for street, shed and garage.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 10th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Whatever mode of locking-up a non electric bike you currently use will be just as suitable for an electrically assisted bike. What about the battery? On my bike the battery is held within the frame - and the compartment has a (very simple) lock. But since the battery and connector fits this compartment within the frame, I would guess it would only fit an identical bike - or maybe some other bikes from the same manufacturer. So I don't see much profit in attempting to steal the battery. OK - it could be vandalised - but so could many other critical parts of the bike.
And the benefit - as a 77 year old I would be unlikely to go cycling without the electrical assisted option.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2021, 9:12 am

scotia wrote:And the benefit - as a 77 year old I would be unlikely to go cycling without the electrical assisted option.

Erm ...

When you blame your age, consider the example of cyclists much older than you.
Like Robert Marchand, with his Guinness Book entries for track events at over-100 and over-105.
Or like Charles Darvil (whose surname I may have misspelt), cycling from Sheffield for the York Rallies in his 90s.
Or the guy whose name I missed who cycled in the 1928 olympics and was still giving us then-youngsters a strong run for our money at Bath Cycling Club[1] sixty years later.

Having said that, I too blame advancing years for my own much-reduced pedalling.

[1] I cycled regularly with the CTC while in Bath, just once or twice with Bath Cycling Club.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 11th, 2021, 9:55 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
88V8 wrote:Read in The Times that only 6% of thefts are from the street.
Around 50% from sheds or garages

Did it have anything to say on the subject of the other 46%? Any classifications used might throw some light on the definitions they used for street, shed and garage.

It was a physical paper and I thought it had gone on the fire... but no!!

So.... 9% from inside people's houses... or perhaps that's flats
and ... in fact you can read all about it because here's the ONS survey https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/overviewofbicycletheft/2017-07-20.
Yes, we really spent govt money on an official survey anent bicycle thefts.
First worldly, eh?

V8

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 11th, 2021, 10:26 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:And the benefit - as a 77 year old I would be unlikely to go cycling without the electrical assisted option.

Erm ...

When you blame your age, consider the example of cyclists much older than you.

Yes - point taken - but....
My wife walks with a group of women in our age group, which meets twice a week. And their husbands? Now all defunct (apart from myself).
So I thought that cycling by myself on her walking days would be good exercise - when I'm not rowing a boat.
And after a bit of thought, I went electric. I'm glad I did.
So for any that are tempted - some notes on how they work. My bike (and many other models) has three levels of assistance. You need to pedal to get any assistance - and the assistance drops off at three different speed levels corresponding with the three levels of assistance. The top speed is around 15mph, and beyond that you get no assistance, even when the highest level is selected.
If you select the lowest level of assistance, then with light pedalling you dawdle along - and going faster will require a bit of effort. I tend to restrict use of the top level to get quickly off a section of busy road.
And back to the rowing - a number of the club members have electric outboard motors. I have not yet succumbed.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2021, 2:19 pm

scotia wrote:Yes - point taken - but....

Erm, just in case it wasn't clear, I was winding you up.

I'm younger than you, and I'll almost certainly still be younger than you when I succumb to the temptation of an electric bike.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:Yes - point taken - but....

Erm, just in case it wasn't clear, I was winding you up.

I'm younger than you, and I'll almost certainly still be younger than you when I succumb to the temptation of an electric bike.

Don't worry - It was perfectly clear :)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » July 18th, 2023, 12:47 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Have you seen the Van Moof bikes. The are tracked if stolen and the company find them and return them to you. They get great reviews as a bike too.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB/electric-bikes

John

The Dutch company's trustees will seek a third party to buy the company's assets and continue its activities.

A Dutch court has declared the independent e-bike maker VanMoof bankrupt, the company said in a statement.

The trustees will try to sell the assets to a third party that wants to continue the company's work.

VanMoof was founded by two Dutch brothers and had touted itself as one of "Europe's fastest-growing companies".

The bicycle maker had previously raised hundreds of millions of euros in 2020 and 2021 as more people turned to cycling during the pandemic.

The e-bike company said their bikes will remain functional and that they will try to keep the app online.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/07/1 ... d-bankrupt

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 18th, 2023, 1:19 pm

That's a real shame. I hope the bike continue to function well for the customers.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 18th, 2023, 11:31 pm

redsturgeon wrote:That's a real shame. I hope the bike continue to function well for the customers.

Yeah real shame; perhaps they can come back, I seem to recall there being a change in the leadership not long ago.

Always admired their attempt at doing something different - but they were never a pratical contender as a steed for myself.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 18th, 2023, 11:37 pm

£278 to service your Van Moof bike!!!!

No wonder they went bust....

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 19th, 2023, 12:45 am

Mike4 wrote:£278 to service your Van Moof bike!!!!

That sounds right expensive - but if it were including parts not unreasonable.
Where did you get it from?

Quick checking online throws up folk reporting under a ton for work at their London hub.

I'm in the process of picking up the bits as and when to be able to service my e-bike.
I get two free services in the first year from the local dealer - first was last week (I'm allowed back on it now I can get my arm straight) and I had them fit the fancy Giant branded LED that gets driven from the controls (and hub mount) so I've now got a decent front light the likes of which Morrisey would sing about. All up it was about 60 of your quids.

It does look like the parts are a bit more expensive (and the machines a bit more complicated) than a standard pushy
- and all the bits need new tools (but that's been my experience of every new bike I've ever had)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 19th, 2023, 10:02 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:£278 to service your Van Moof bike!!!!

That sounds right expensive - but if it were including parts not unreasonable.
Where did you get it from?

The Van Moof website, here: https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB/peace-of-mind

Scroll down a bit to Our Peace of Mind services/Maintenance

Return to “Cycling”