Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

E bike recommendation

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
toofast2live
Lemon Slice

E bike recommendation

Postby toofast2live » October 23rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Looking to buy an e bike for relatively unfit me. The reason is we have bought a place in southern Spain, in the hills. VERY STEEP hills. My budget is no more than £2,000 it will only be used on roads. We have a decathlon nearby so one of theirs maybe an option. I have also tried a Halfords Carrera crossfire and an Evans own brand. Both seemed ok but the Evans bike was significantly lighter, and more expensive. I don't need range as I'd rarely go more than 20 miles a day.

I know e bikes aren't everybody's idea of cycling, but my 62 year old legs and lungs can't get me up 20% hills anymore - however much training I put in.

Any recommendations?

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Re: E bike recommendation

Postby redsturgeon » October 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

toofast2live wrote:Looking to buy an e bike for relatively unfit me. The reason is we have bought a place in southern Spain, in the hills. VERY STEEP hills. My budget is no more than £2,000 it will only be used on roads. We have a decathlon nearby so one of theirs maybe an option. I have also tried a Halfords Carrera crossfire and an Evans own brand. Both seemed ok but the Evans bike was significantly lighter, and more expensive. I don't need range as I'd rarely go more than 20 miles a day.

I know e bikes aren't everybody's idea of cycling, but my 62 year old legs and lungs can't get me up 20% hills anymore - however much training I put in.

Any recommendations?

I don't know much about E bikes but Decathlon's normal bikes are very good value so I'd guess the same applies to their E Bike offerings. If the Decathlon you refer to is in Spain then it would make sense to get it from there.

John

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 23rd, 2017, 5:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I don't know much about E bikes but Decathlon's normal bikes are very good value so I'd guess the same applies to their E Bike offerings.

+1 vote for Decathlon - I bought their basic Rockrider a few months ago for general use very happy with it.

I don't know much about E-Bikes but would be fascinated to know how their motors cope up those hills! I see an increasing number of them out and about now.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » October 23rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

Yeah Decathlon are great. I bought a bike from them 2 or 3 years ago which was defective. One phone call and 2 days later (I am in NE Scotland) there was a van driver knocking on my door with a brand new bike and an instruction to take away the old one. When I opened the box there was a brand new set of fancy lights thrown in as an apology.

Decathlon every time.

todthedog
2 Lemon pips

Postby todthedog » October 23rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

Converted an old bike to ebike about £450 including carriage to Sweden.
Might be worthwhile a second hand bike and do a conversation.
I found the conversation easy but made the bike a little heavy for non electric use however gets me out and about.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » October 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

I just had a quick look at the Decathlon site. They have a range of 7 E Bikes and a handy comparison tool.
They also have the owner manuals available on each page. The basic model has a 7.6Ah battery and 250 watt motor, the higher range models have a 11.6 Ah battery which should give a better range ( the weight of the bike will affect range, as will hills etc )

I walk along a disused railway line, now a trailway and I am seeing more and more electric powered bikes. I saw an electric tandem a couple of weeks ago, and 2 refurbished Sinclair C5 only last week.

Bosch do an excellent Bike power train but they are expensive

( I once was asked to repair the electric motor / gearbox from a Fokke Wulf 190 that was being restored after being retrieved from a forest in Russia, when I started to dismantle the unit I saw a familiar logo and remarked to a colleague that it looked just like the Bosch logo. It was indeed manufactured by Bosch. As I stripped the unit down I was very impressed indeed with quality of both the electrical and mechanical work )

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » October 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

Devjon wrote:
( I once was asked to repair the electric motor / gearbox from a Fokke Wulf 190 that was being restored after being retrieved from a forest in Russia, when I started to dismantle the unit I saw a familiar logo and remarked to a colleague that it looked just like the Bosch logo. It was indeed manufactured by Bosch. As I stripped the unit down I was very impressed indeed with quality of both the electrical and mechanical work )

It would have been more surprising if it was a Lucas unit!

John

Pastcaring
Lemon Pip

Postby Pastcaring » June 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm

toofast2live wrote:Looking to buy an e bike for relatively unfit me. The reason is we have bought a place in southern Spain, in the hills. VERY STEEP hills. My budget is no more than £2,000 it will only be used on roads. We have a decathlon nearby so one of theirs maybe an option. I have also tried a Halfords Carrera crossfire and an Evans own brand. Both seemed ok but the Evans bike was significantly lighter, and more expensive. I don't need range as I'd rarely go more than 20 miles a day.

Any recommendations?

Hiya

I tend to do around 1200-- 1500 klms monthly on a plain bike .Thankfully Perth is very flat,but windy!!.

On weekends one of the old boys began to struggle,he does around 150 klms over the weekend,( he is 77 ). He did a lot of research into e bikes and bought one.Motors are restricted here to 250 watt and only kick in when pedalling.They cut out at a speed of 25 klms.

The balance of the bike is better with the battery being central.The motor is also central,it is in the crank for the pedals,perfect for balance he says.

The range is around 70 klms,however as he only uses the assist for hills and against the wind he gets around 180 klms out of a charge .

The brakes are hydraulic disc and the cost was $2400,not much use to you in Spain for price.The battery lasts for around 1200 charge cycles,probably 4 years,battery technology will have improved by the time he needs a new one.

We hired bikes with the battery at the rear and rear wheel motor,the balance is shocking,always felt as if the bike was going to tip backwards .

Hopefully I will never need one but he thinks his is great,I have difficulty keeping up with him once the motor is turned on.Around 1 in 3 bikes down here seems to be an e bike now.

Return to “Cycling”