Remove ads

E bike recommendation

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
toofast2live
Lemon Slice

E bike recommendation

Postby toofast2live » October 23rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Looking to buy an e bike for relatively unfit me. The reason is we have bought a place in southern Spain, in the hills. VERY STEEP hills. My budget is no more than £2,000 it will only be used on roads. We have a decathlon nearby so one of theirs maybe an option. I have also tried a Halfords Carrera crossfire and an Evans own brand. Both seemed ok but the Evans bike was significantly lighter, and more expensive. I don't need range as I'd rarely go more than 20 miles a day.

I know e bikes aren't everybody's idea of cycling, but my 62 year old legs and lungs can't get me up 20% hills anymore - however much training I put in.

Any recommendations?

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Re: E bike recommendation

Postby redsturgeon » October 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

toofast2live wrote:Looking to buy an e bike for relatively unfit me. The reason is we have bought a place in southern Spain, in the hills. VERY STEEP hills. My budget is no more than £2,000 it will only be used on roads. We have a decathlon nearby so one of theirs maybe an option. I have also tried a Halfords Carrera crossfire and an Evans own brand. Both seemed ok but the Evans bike was significantly lighter, and more expensive. I don't need range as I'd rarely go more than 20 miles a day.

I know e bikes aren't everybody's idea of cycling, but my 62 year old legs and lungs can't get me up 20% hills anymore - however much training I put in.

Any recommendations?

I don't know much about E bikes but Decathlon's normal bikes are very good value so I'd guess the same applies to their E Bike offerings. If the Decathlon you refer to is in Spain then it would make sense to get it from there.

John

moorfield
Lemon Slice

Postby moorfield » October 23rd, 2017, 5:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I don't know much about E bikes but Decathlon's normal bikes are very good value so I'd guess the same applies to their E Bike offerings.

+1 vote for Decathlon - I bought their basic Rockrider a few months ago for general use very happy with it.

I don't know much about E-Bikes but would be fascinated to know how their motors cope up those hills! I see an increasing number of them out and about now.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » October 23rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

Yeah Decathlon are great. I bought a bike from them 2 or 3 years ago which was defective. One phone call and 2 days later (I am in NE Scotland) there was a van driver knocking on my door with a brand new bike and an instruction to take away the old one. When I opened the box there was a brand new set of fancy lights thrown in as an apology.

Decathlon every time.

todthedog
2 Lemon pips

Postby todthedog » October 23rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

Converted an old bike to ebike about £450 including carriage to Sweden.
Might be worthwhile a second hand bike and do a conversation.
I found the conversation easy but made the bike a little heavy for non electric use however gets me out and about.

Devjon
Lemon Pip

Postby Devjon » October 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

I just had a quick look at the Decathlon site. They have a range of 7 E Bikes and a handy comparison tool.
They also have the owner manuals available on each page. The basic model has a 7.6Ah battery and 250 watt motor, the higher range models have a 11.6 Ah battery which should give a better range ( the weight of the bike will affect range, as will hills etc )

I walk along a disused railway line, now a trailway and I am seeing more and more electric powered bikes. I saw an electric tandem a couple of weeks ago, and 2 refurbished Sinclair C5 only last week.

Bosch do an excellent Bike power train but they are expensive

( I once was asked to repair the electric motor / gearbox from a Fokke Wulf 190 that was being restored after being retrieved from a forest in Russia, when I started to dismantle the unit I saw a familiar logo and remarked to a colleague that it looked just like the Bosch logo. It was indeed manufactured by Bosch. As I stripped the unit down I was very impressed indeed with quality of both the electrical and mechanical work )

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » October 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

Devjon wrote:
( I once was asked to repair the electric motor / gearbox from a Fokke Wulf 190 that was being restored after being retrieved from a forest in Russia, when I started to dismantle the unit I saw a familiar logo and remarked to a colleague that it looked just like the Bosch logo. It was indeed manufactured by Bosch. As I stripped the unit down I was very impressed indeed with quality of both the electrical and mechanical work )

It would have been more surprising if it was a Lucas unit!

John

Return to “Cycling”