Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Road vs Hybrid Wheels (700c)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
onthemove
Lemon Slice

Road vs Hybrid Wheels (700c)

Postby onthemove » September 6th, 2019, 10:49 pm

How can I tell which 700c wheels are not suitable for hybrid bikes?

I recently purchased a recognised brand name 700c (rear) wheel from a major high street store (not Halfords, the other big one).

My only concern at the time of purchase based on the description was whether it would take my existing 700x35mm tyre. As far as I could tell, everything else seemed to tick the right boxes... 700c, compatible with 8 speed cassette, etc.

On querying it with the shop assistant, as soon as I said it was for a hybrid, he immediately dismissed the wheel as totally unsuitable.

I was rather surprised by that, and wasn't convinced, and long story short, there were no other viable alternatives available at the time (from either them or from Halfords or anywhere else I could find at a reasonable price) and I wanted to get back on the bike, so I ended up buying it.

On arriving home, I checked with Sheldon Brown and various other sites, and the 17mm inner rim should have no problem with a 35mm tyre https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html ... so my own concerns were allayed.

The wheel fitted fine, the cassette fitted fine, the gears didn't even need any re-alignment what-so-ever (I did use the spacer provided for an 8 speed cassette), and the wheel seemed to perform perfectly fine. The only thing I needed to do was adjust the brakes a little for the slightly narrower diameter rim. Fair enough I thought, that's reasonable.

Except...

.. after only two weeks usage (commuting) a spoke has just gone 'ping' ... straight road, no potholes, no debris. Out of the blue, just 'ping'. That's roughly only 150miles.

So a bit miffed, I've taken it back to the shop to get it fixed (or replaced) - I hope(d) - free of charge under guarantee / consumer rights. Still had the receipt.

But the same guy served me again, and remembered it being used on a hybrid, and started to try and tell me that ...

(very loosely paraphrased) 'yeh, the reason the spoke has gone is because you're using it on a hybrid'.

Now, I like to feel I know a little bit of physics (I do have some higher level qualifications, with good grades, in that and related subjects) and didn't want to be fobbed off, so I politely interrupted him, and said something along the lines of 'the spokes have no idea what type of bike is sat on the axle; what bike is attached to the wheel doesn't come into play in the spokes between the hub and rim'.

He didn't seem to change his mind on his claims, but seemed to back off to avoid a lengthy debate and said he'd book the wheel in for repair. I presumed he meant F-o-C under warranty / consumer rights, but I've just looked at the receipt he's given me, and it's got their normal repair fee itemised on it (not the £0 I'd expected)

We'll see what happens when I go to pick the wheel up.

But before I go back to pick it up, I would therefore like to double check whether I am missing something here... so that I'm properly prepared either way - (cash in hand ready to pay without any fuss if I'm wrong, or arguments prepared if they are) - if they do try to charge me...

I've just tried googling, and can't find anything that says there's an intrinsic difference between road and hybrid wheels that means they aren't interchangeable when the sizes are otherwise matching. e.g. on the basis of this person's answer, the wheel would seem compatible .. https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... and-hybrid

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm struggling to think what...

He started pointing to the nipples between the spoke and the rim, and trying to say the forces there were different between a hybrid and a road bike.

I mean surely the nature of how bikes work means that it is only the mass of the bike (and rider, etc) that comes into play being transmitted from the frame, through the hub, through the spokes, rim and then tyre.

And between the hub and the rim - i.e. through the spoke - I can't think of any reason why the lateral force trying to push the rim sideways while cornering (or anything else) would be any different between a hybrid or a road bike... again surely it is only the mass of the bike + rider that matters - not the nature of what constitutes that mass...

...both hybrids and road bikes, surely have to tilt the same when cornering... surely the lateral forces on the rim due to the tyre holding the surface of the road while cornering aren't going to be any different between a hybrid bike and a road bike for the same speed / tyre / total mass? (I mean what actually is the difference between such bikes? I thought the main difference was the drop handle bars(?))

Is there something I missing, and there genuinely is a valid reason why the spokes would be pinging on this wheel because I've installed it on a hybrid, when according to the shop it's only for a 'road' bike?

The bike is only being used on roads - I pass, and am frequently passed by, plenty of people on proper expensive unambiguous road bikes on my commute. There's no off road trails or anything. Just normal UK roads. So it hasn't been subjected to any terrain usage that a proper road bike wouldn't normally be subject to.

In fact, looking at it the other way... if I'd taken this same wheel, and same tyre and put it on a genuine road bike with drop handlebars, and done exactly the same commutes... same days, same start/stopping at lights, same corners, same roads, same speeds, same distances, same weather conditions... I just can't fathom how / why that would could be expected to result in any different sort of outcome for the spoke.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Just to add... the same retailer doesn't even have "Hybrid" as a filter option in their 700c wheels section on their website... for 700c they only list ...

Other (1)
Road (106)

There's no specific mention of 'hybrid'.

I'm not at all convinced that there really is any real distinction - based on the retailer's own website / filters, it seems to me that they don't even distinguish 'hybrid' wheels from 'road' wheels themselves - except for the staff in this store.

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Re: Road vs Hybrid Wheels (700c)

Postby JuanDB » September 6th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Do you know what exactly went ping? The nipple, or spoke? I assume as it’s been repaired it wasn’t the rim or hub?

I assume these are conventional pull through spokes with a nipple in the rim as opposed to something more exotic such as a threaded flange on the hub? If the latter, I’ve seen these throw spokes for fun e.g older Shimano XTR wheels. The former is pretty uncommon and to me would suggest a component failure.

I’d agree with your assessment; the difference between hybrid and road is usually the geometry of the frame, and the ancillary components. The geometry of the frame affects the handling which is more relaxed on a hybrid.its not going to load a wheel differently.

I would firmly push back on the charge. Take it up with the manufacturer if needed.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 7th, 2019, 12:12 am

Do you know what exactly went ping? The nipple, or spoke? I assume as it’s been repaired it wasn’t the rim or hub?

The spoke itself broke at the hub end - where it hooks through the hole - the hook now no longer being on the spoke. The spoke was left hanging on from the rim end, with the vacant hole for it at the hub.

As far as I could tell, the rim and hub looked fine. It looked like it just needs a replacement spoke putting in, then suitably tensioning and truing. I didn't look too closely, but on a casual inspection the hole for the spoke still looked fine - no warping or breaks or any other damage around it that I could see.

It's not yet been repaired, but it's with the retailer currently being repaired. I'm expecting to collect in a few days.

I assume these are conventional pull through spokes with a nipple in the rim as opposed to something more exotic such as a threaded flange on the hub? If the latter, I’ve seen these throw spokes for fun e.g older Shimano XTR wheels. The former is pretty uncommon and to me would suggest a component failure.

It's a Shimano RS100 wheel. I don't know whether the spokes are special ones or not. The spokes are probably the only bike maintenance job that I don't do myself. I usually just buy cheap Halfords own brand wheels where I know what I'm getting - the spokes don't tend to break, but the rims wear fast but at least it's gradual rather than sudden catastrophic so you're not going to be stranded by them failing, and hey, they're cheap and cheerful - but for some reason they don't seem to have any in stock at the moment. And similarly the retailer I went to instead didn't have their cheap 700c's versions in stock either - only this Shimano, albeit at a clearance price so not much more expensive than normal unbranded ones. So I ended up with this Shimano this time.

Though if this Shimano only lasts 2 weeks / 150miles between spokes breaking, the Halfords cheapos are clearly better value (when they get them back in stock)!!

I'll see what happens with the charge. It might just be how he put it into the till when recording the job on their system, and when I go to collect the wheel, they might not actually charge me that amount. But then again they might try to charge me, so I just want to be prepared.

Thank you for your quick response.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » September 7th, 2019, 6:34 am

The issue of hybrid use aside (and I think he is talking nonsense) I have had spokes go on newish wheels (road bikes) and have always been charged for the repair. I have considered that reasonable as it is just so difficult to determine "normal wear and tear".
I have also been told "what do you expect, these are cheap wheels" which was true enough at the time.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I agree he is talking nonsense.

The only possible difference between a hybrid and a road bike might be the usage, eg off road use that might be harder on the spokes than road use.

Sometimes spokes break and it is an easy DIY job to replace a spoke, if you can get one the correct size. No too much retruing of the wheel required usually afterwards.

I'd change my bike shop after this experience.

John

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 8th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Thank you for the repsonses...

Follow up...

Just been to pick up the wheel.

I made sure I was fully prepared before hand. Posing as a new customer, I asked on the retailer's webchat if this wheel would be suitable for a hybrid and their response was ...

"Yes indeed, these will be fine."

So based on that, my understanding of physics, and the responses here - along with the absence of being able to find anything to contradict this, I felt confident that using it on a hybrid was not relevant. And felt fully prepared to stand my ground on that point.

I also looked at how Shimano describe these wheels (my bold)...

"Durability meets affordability with the SHIMANO TIAGRA RS100 tubeless clincher wheels. They're built to withstand the harshest conditions with road tubeless technology and reliable wide-flange hubs. Ideal for training and commuting, these TIAGRA aluminum wheels will take you where you need to go with confidence."

I think any reasonable person would say without a shadow of a doubt that they wouldn't expect a wheel described as above to fail within 150mile / 2weeks regular commuting on roads.

I also read up on the Consumer Rights Regulations.

So in relation to this comment by EssDeeAitch...

"I have had spokes go on newish wheels (road bikes) and have always been charged for the repair. I have considered that reasonable as it is just so difficult to determine "normal wear and tear". "

... while I might agree after a few months if it's been well used, I probably wouldn't push that, but having it fail within 3 weeks from purchase (2 weeks / 150miles commuting usage) isn't reasonable.

In fact, I looked in the Shimano instructions and they only advise getting the spoke tensions checked by a bike shop after 1,000Km.

I've barely done a quarter of that.

So I can't see how under any stretch of the imagination that a wheel could be considered worn out through acceptable "normal wear and tear" after only 150miles!

And if you mean whether it might have been damaged from an impact with something... I can sympathise with bike shops in this respect. That's why I probably wouldn't push for a free repair after 4 or 5 months (though the more I investigate, the more I think perhaps I should if the situation arose).

But in this case, we're talking less than 1 month, still within the 30day window under the Consumer Rights regulations to be able to completely reject the goods and insist on a full refund, and if the bike shop wish to suggest it could have been due to external impact damage (I know it wasn't in this case, but lets run with it), then under the regulations, within the first 6 months after purchase, the onus is on the retailer to prove that it was external damage.

Like you say, it can be difficult to prove either way, but under the Consumer Right regulations, that burden falls on the retailer, not the consumer. I can sympathise with the bike shops, and I wouldn't push this to extreme or take the mickey, but that is what the law is.

Anyhow...

Prepared as above...

I went to pick up the wheel. When the guy said he'd just run it through the computer, I commented along the lines... 'ok, but it is being done under warranty / consumer rights', isn't it?'

From his response, I get the impression it hadn't been put into the system that way.

I pointed out it was only 3 weeks old, and failed on a straight section, no potholes, no debris.

He went to check with some collegues, and said yep, shouldn't be a problem.

Took a couple of minutes just sorting out the computer, and then all done. This guy was far nicer to deal with than the previous guy!

So in the end, all worked out OK.

But...

I'm definitely glad I was prepared.

And, I'm glad the guy referred to in previous messages wasn't there today - since he'd input it as a chargeable repair into their system, I strongly suspect that much disagreement might have ensued.

Anyway, so that was that!

Thanks for the responses on here.

Postscript...

I'd change my bike shop after this experience.

I'll admit this retailer is reasonably conveniently located, very good weekday evening opening times, has a lot of stock at reasonable prices, and has ample free parking, and would normally be my second choice after Halfords.

But in this case - unless you happen to be lucky and it's this guys day off (like today), he seems to be the one all the other members of staff call over or refer you to. Both times I've ended up dealing with him only because other members of staff called him over for his 'expertise'. He seems very much to be the alpha male in this particular store - at least in their service dept, and also sales when they need technical assistance.

I'll probably still shop there occasionally when Halfords either don't have an alternative or aren't competitive, but I'd prefer to avoid that guy if I could (I don't share his view of his expertise), though unless it's his day off, avoiding him doesn't seem like it would be quite so easy.

Oh well...

We'll see how long this wheel now lasts - unfortunately I've only had 2 experiences of bike shops working on spokes before, and both times, the wheels then popped another spoke just 2 - 3 months later... so I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully, fingers crossed, Halfords will have some new stock of their cheapo wheels by then.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 9th, 2019, 9:00 am

The only thing I would note is the number of spokes. I think your wheel has 24 spokes and inherently this is not going to be a reliable as a wheel with more spokes. I would think 32 or 36 spokes on your rear wheel would be a better plan. If It starts to pop more spokes that would be my advice for your next wheel.

You don't mention your own weight, not being rude but rider weight differences will be far more variable that the few Kg between the average road bike and hybrid.

John

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » September 9th, 2019, 10:42 am

onthemove wrote:
So in relation to this comment by EssDeeAitch...

"I have had spokes go on newish wheels (road bikes) and have always been charged for the repair. I have considered that reasonable as it is just so difficult to determine "normal wear and tear". "

... while I might agree after a few months if it's been well used, I probably wouldn't push that, but having it fail within 3 weeks from purchase (2 weeks / 150miles commuting usage) isn't reasonable.

I agree with you, your usage was very low so the seller should come to the party as it were.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 10th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I had a wheel go out of true (Mavic Aksium Disc) after ~1year of light use trued up by EBC for free as comes with a two year guarantee from Mavic (3years if you register on their website) which I think is pretty good service. So I agree after a short period of use and no potholes hit etc I'd expect the shop to at least do a free repair.

Still not sure if it (the Asium) is/was a suitable wheel. Its a replacement wheel set for my Whyte Clifton Hybrid e-bike which were massively buckled when a car pulled out from a side road and me and sparky (the e-bike) were unceremoniously deposited in the opposite carriageway. Not certain the rear is up to the loads with it being an e-bike. Though going on Wiggle there seems to be a great deal of choice when it comes to wheels and I'm not sure I understand all the differences.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 10th, 2019, 11:35 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The only thing I would note is the number of spokes. I think your wheel has 24 spokes and inherently this is not going to be a reliable as a wheel with more spokes. I would think 32 or 36 spokes on your rear wheel would be a better plan. If It starts to pop more spokes that would be my advice for your next wheel.

You don't mention your own weight, not being rude but rider weight differences will be far more variable that the few Kg between the average road bike and hybrid.

I was slightly nervous about less spokes, not because I felt I was heavy, just because obviously it's less than 36... but figured that Shimano must think they can achieve fit-for-purpose using their technology with that number of spokes.

I just weighed myself when I stepped through the door, still with wearing all clothes, coats, shoes, bag, d-locks, etc that I carry when commuting, and was just nudging marginally over the 15stone mark.

I couldn't find a maximum rider weight directly in any of the Shimano specifications, but this site... https://www.mantel.com/uk/shimano-rs100 ... ike-wheels ... claims the manufacturer's max recommended weight is 120Kg (not sure where they got that from though - no one else seems to report it)

Assuming 120Kg, that's just under 19stone, so if it's correct, then I should be reasonably under the weight limit.

I'll see how I go... it's done 2 days of commute now...
(he says nervously - I certainly don't right now feel that it "will take [me] where [I] need to go with confidence"!).

And, yes, if it pops a spoke again in a couple of months then I'll switch back to the cheap halfords (assuming they have stock by then) which are 36 spoke, and I've never broken a spoke on those previously (expect after a bike shop trued one after I whacked the rear derailleur into it - my bad, I paid for the shop to true it and told them I was happy for them to change any spokes if they felt they needed to, but they said they didn't - but a spoke then broke 2 months later... so I figured it had lost the 'factory' setting, and just figured I'd replace it... except they didn't have any in stock, so I ended up with this Shimano from a different retailer ... I didn't set out to buy this Shimano with 24 spokes... it was just all I could find anywhere, in stock, at a reasonable price)

Actually, come to think of it, I do still have the previous halfords wheel sat there with the broken spoke... I hadn't got round to throwing it out... maybe I have another shot at letting the shop fix it, it'd be cheaper than buying a new wheel... though like I say... from my experience I feel more confident with out-of-the-factory set spokes than bike shop set spokes, though I realise most people on the internet seem to feel the opposite...

Or maybe I even try to fix it myself.... gulp... I'd just feel a bit nervous without a tension spec or tensiometer.

I noticed reading around the past few days, that Shimano wheel requires quite different spoke tensions between left-side and right-side spokes - while they have a wide range of tension values that either side could tolerate, those ranges don't actually overlap between the two sides - they're that different! (Which surprised me!)

Thanks

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 10th, 2019, 11:43 pm

I've trued many wheels, replaced spokes and even rebuilt some completely but rear wheels are always a bit of as challenge since they are dished asymmetrically. I have about a dozen old wheels of various sizes hanging up in my garage so that I usually have spare spokes if needed.

I think the fewer spokes will potentially be the problem but hopefully it will hold out.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 11th, 2019, 5:44 am

I recently replaced my wheels on my hybrid commuter (more a mountain bike with slicks)
- and while looking about noticed that there were wheelsets with weight limits

Here's an article about it:
- https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... mit-287016

I could imagine that a manufacturer might expect a road bike to be inherently lighter than a hybrid?
- but given it's axles I seem to break more than spokes I'm obviously working in a different operating zone

- sd

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 12th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Arrrgggggghhhhhh...!!!

Only 59 miles - under 4 days - after the repair and just under 1 calendar month since purchased absolutely brand new .... whaddya know....
This time it happened on the very first downstroke on the pedal as I set off when the lights changed to green. Hadn't even built any speed up what-so-ever. Solely the force of me pressing on the pedal to set off from stationary did it. :(

Absolute, absolute utter garbage

So options...

Halfords ... No stock of 700c, or rather they have but cheapest £189 ... too expensive
EvansCycles (the retailer in question) ... the cheapest 700c in stock £89 ... and that only has 20 spokes so that and it being the retailer in question in this thread.... f.o.r.g.e.t. i.t...
Wiggle ... cheapest 700c £259 WTF!!! That's the cheapest they have!!! (Seriously... does anyone know what's going on here... that's nearly as much as I paid for my whole bike, and that came with TWO wheels included!)

Which leaves either halfords or evanscycles repairing one or other of the shimano or the halfords wheels I have sat here, each with a broken spoke.

After the experience detailed in this thread, I really, really, really am loathed to go back to EvansCycles, unless anyone thinks it's absolutely worth pushing them under consumer rights, though to be honest, even if they fix it, clearly I am not going to have any confidence in it. And they don't have any other stock, so I'd still need a solution to get to work.

So .. right now... I guess the plan is pop the previous 36 spoke halfords wheel in the car and go and pay them (halfords) (again) to work on it. I absolutely have no confidence in any shop done work on wheels, but with the dearth of sensibly priced 700c wheels at the minute (what on earth is going on!?), I don't really seem to have any choice.

But hopefully, it'll last long enough for them to get new stock in (the current broken spoke in this halfords wheel occurred around 2 months after they worked on it, so I might get some use out of it).

Right now... I hate wheels!!!

And even more annoying, I'm now going to have to drive into work tomorrow as well :(

(Sorry for the rant :) )

--

BTW...
this is EvansCycles online chat's response when I (subsequently) asked if these RS100 wheels would be suitable for a hybrid...

me >> "Hi, I'm looking at 700c wheels for my hybrid bike, but when I filter on 700c it only shows "road" wheels... I can see e.g. the shimano rs100 which looks like it would fit, but is this suitable for a hybrid?"

me >> "(Just for on road commuting)"

evans >> "Yes indeed, these will be fine."

And the chat wasn't initially up, so I'd already sent a request generally about road wheels on a hybrid via email which they subsequently responded to thus...

"Yes, I can confirm that a road wheel will be fine. In fact, the wheel on your bike is most likely a road/hybrid wheel.
700c is the diameter of the wheel; you would just need to make sure that the axle fitting is compatible"

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 12th, 2019, 11:49 pm

OK, that didn't go quite to plan...

No wheels at a reasonable price in Halfords. Apparently they had an internal recall, the shop staff seemed to think it was removing old stock in preparation for new stock in 2 to 3 weeks. But from the website stock listing, that wasn't unexpected.

The unexpected part... they're a bit short staffed... chargeable repairs are taking 2 to 3 weeks! :o

That's too long to be bikeless, so I bit the bullet and enquired about a new spoke to attempt it myself. What's to lose? I'd been planning to throw this old halfords wheel out anyway, just hadn't got round to it yet. If I damage it trying to fit a spoke, no great loss!

The guy went in the back, found a spare they had lying around, and let me have it FoC.

Which was really, really good of them.
(This Halfords wheel was originally damaged by the derailleur hitting it, my bad, and I was completely honest with them, so didn't ask or expect anything under guarantee or anything)

Anyhow, I've fitted the spoke. No idea if it's the right tension or not, but when I pluck them, this new spoke feels like the others, so I guess it's in the ballpark. And the wheel seems true enough to be fine to ride. Not perfect, but it'll do.

So for now, touch wood, it looks like I can use my bike to commute tomorrow after all! Or at least I'll give it a go.

Only minor snag... the spoke in this Halfords wheel had broken inside the nipple, and it looks like rust may have been the cause. Unfortunately while putting new rim tape on, I noticed some rust around most of them.

So I hope they (Halfords) get their new stock in soon.

As for the Shimano wheel.... I'm going to try not to think about that for a bit.
At this moment I don't fancy trying to go back to EvansCycles with it again, I've had enough of this now.
But equally I don't feel like throwing it out when I paid £50 for it, brand new, only 4 weeks ago! (That was clearance price, RRP normally £85)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 13th, 2019, 12:13 am

That's really disappointing to hear

Are you averse to buying online?

A lot of stuff sold on Amazon is from bike shops that would be happy to communicate before you bought something.

I would have thought the pair of these might be the kind of thing you needed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Trekk ... B07GLY92LS
- these are very similar to what I've put on my wifes 700cc hybrid trail thing

My main worries would be getting the correct breaking surface and clearance for your preferred type of tyre

- sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 14th, 2019, 9:56 am

Sorry to hear this, I think you should definitely get a 32 or 36 spoke replacement, is it disc or rim brake? I usually but online from either Chain reaction or the Wooly Hat Shop on eBay.
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-Rear-Hy ... 468d5f7115

Disc or V-brake compatible and 36 spoke.

Also I would take your wheel back to Evans and just get a refund...nothing to lose.

John

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » September 16th, 2019, 5:35 pm

I spoke about this with ex bike shop mechanics. The only likely difference between 'road' wheels and 'hybrid' wheels is the rim width. Get at least 19mm width. Deeper section rims are more rigid. 32 or 36 spokes. Redsturgeons suggestions look good to me.

The reasons why spokes will fatigue and break are of course too high a stress due to:
too highly tightened stressed (in order to make a shallower section rim more rigid). Slacken the spokes.
hitting pot holes or kerbs
tyre pressure too low (enabling said pot hole to concentrate forces one a little section of rim). Unlikely in your case, especially as the spoke broke at the hub).
wrong choice of spoke. Normally use 15g Swiss (which are 1.8mm dia at ends). Measure your broken ones?
heavy rider. Standard wheels good for up to 110kg normally.

Incidentally, Mark Beaumont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Beaumont_(cyclist)) in his book 'Around the World in 80 days) suffered several broken spokes at the start in Europe, until he got to Poland, where they told him to loosen the spokes. Thereafter, around the world, he got no more breaks despite about 40kg of panniers.

Return to “Cycling”