Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Abandoned Bike Locks

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Abandoned Bike Locks

Postby robbelg » May 8th, 2020, 9:56 am

Strolling around the city centre I have noticed that all the cycle racks have abandoned locks attached, they appear to be functional ( they seem to be locked to the racks)

Does anyone know or have thoughts on why this should be?

It's noticeable now because while more people are cycling fewer are parking in the city centre.

Rob

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Abandoned Bike Locks

Postby Itsallaguess » May 8th, 2020, 10:00 am

robbelg wrote:
Strolling around the city centre I have noticed that all the cycle racks have abandoned locks attached, they appear to be functional ( they seem to be locked to the racks)

Does anyone know or have thoughts on why this should be?

It's noticeable now because while more people are cycling fewer are parking in the city centre.

Many of the more secure and robust bike locks don't have a natural 'carry' position on bicycles, so rather than always carry them in either a cumbersome position, or even in bags etc., people will leave them locked to where they will most-often lock their bike, and just carry the key in their pocket from that point onwards...

I've got one of those thick, rubberised wire ones that wrap around the underside of my seat steam, and locks into a little unobtrusive bracket underneath, so it's not a problem for me, especially given how infrequently I lock my bike in public places, but I can understand why people do this with more expensive bikes, larger and more robust locks, and especially in public places where theft is likely to be more prevalent.

It's not great to look at, where lots of locks are being used like this, but it feels like a small price to pay if people are using personal transport like this more often...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on May 8th, 2020, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 8th, 2020, 10:01 am

Is it any more complicated than that those using the racks each have their own spot, denoted by their own lock. If only they hold the key then no one else can use it. Leaving their own lock chained to the rack also means they do not have to carry it around with them. It is unlikely that they denote the sort of thing you get on some bridges, to commemorate a loved one. I am no longer a cyclist so I could be completely wrong.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 8th, 2020, 10:07 am

Mention of bike locks reminds me of the time I lived in France. I bought a bike and used it more than the car. One day I went to the local supermarket to pick up a few things, and locked the bike to a convenient pole. 10 minutes later, I came out and it had gone! Not the bike...... the lock and chain! A thief with a sense of humour. 6 months later, in the busiest part of the town centre, the bike itself was stolen.

--kiloran

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » May 8th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Many of the more secure and robust bike locks don't have a natural 'carry' position on bicycles, so rather than always carry them in either a cumbersome position, or even in bags etc., people will leave them locked to where they will most-often lock their bike, and just carry the key in their pocket from that point onwards...

Obvious when you point it out, and it explains why it's only now that I've noticed.

Thanks
Rob

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » May 8th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Two further points about leaving a lock on a public rack.

1) At least a small proportion of such locks are abandoned. From time to time such a lock will be left behind after a job change or similar. I could tell you were to find an abandoned lock, if it hasn't been cleaned up in the last 36 years. :D If I'm ever in the neighborhood I'll pick it up, since it shares a key with a lock I still use.

2) It leaves the lock vulnerable to attack for a much longer time and, since there is no bike attach, in a less suspicious manner. If challenged a person tampering with the lock could claim to be cleaning up abandoned locks. The only place I leave a lock is in a secure, CCTV monitored bike shed, where all it needs to do is avoid the annoyance of having to report one of my cow-orkers to security and HR.

Pheidippides
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pheidippides » May 9th, 2020, 9:12 am

One of my old bike locks is still attached to a railing in the City of London. The key broke and I bought a new one - in 2005

I always left my D-locks in place as they were so heavy to lug around. Some of the stainless steel hoops in the city are festooned with dozens of locks.

Regards

Pheid

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » May 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm

9873210 wrote:At least a small proportion of such locks are abandoned. From time to time such a lock will be left behind after a job change or similar.

Yeah this happened to me. I left a job at a large company in London and forgot the lock. About 5 years later my brother ended up working for the same company, so I found the old key and went searching for the lock in their cycle room with him - found it, and it worked!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 10th, 2020, 1:00 am

A couple of things cross my mind.

1) Fixing an expensive bike with a lock to something secure is not much of a help. Most parts of an expensive bike are both easy to remove and expensive individually. My son locked his bike up in Reading and returned to find both wheels missing for example, even though the frame and handlebars etc were still nice and safe.

2) I've forgotten the other point...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 10th, 2020, 1:58 am

Well, that's Reading :-)
(I live there, or here?...on the western outskirts, by the gravel pits)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 10th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Mike4 wrote:A couple of things cross my mind.

1) Fixing an expensive bike with a lock to something secure is not much of a help. Most parts of an expensive bike are both easy to remove and expensive individually. My son locked his bike up in Reading and returned to find both wheels missing for example, even though the frame and handlebars etc were still nice and safe.

2) I've forgotten the other point...

It is possible to get security fitting for wheels and seats rather than the QD items, they are of some help. It is also possible to lock wheels into a d lock with an additional cable. Ultimately though if a thief wants your bike then he will take it.

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 18th, 2020, 4:16 pm

kiloran wrote:Mention of bike locks reminds me of the time I lived in France. I bought a bike and used it more than the car. One day I went to the local supermarket to pick up a few things, and locked the bike to a convenient pole. 10 minutes later, I came out and it had gone! Not the bike...... the lock and chain! A thief with a sense of humour. 6 months later, in the busiest part of the town centre, the bike itself was stolen.

--kiloran

I was expecting the punch line to be: "The pole had gone, but the bike and lock were still there."

Well, it was France. ;)

Return to “Cycling”