Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bike Frames

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Bike Frames

Postby moorfield » February 16th, 2017, 11:28 pm

I'm looking to buy a (hybrid or mtb) bike frame - just a frame - for a spring/summer project to teach son #1 how to put bikes together (we have plenty of spare parts kicking around we can reuse). Can anyone point me to a good website (not ebay) where we can source ?

Thanks
M

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Bike Frames

Postby redsturgeon » February 17th, 2017, 7:14 am

Are you looking to buy new or second hand?

What have you got against ebay?

John

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » February 19th, 2017, 8:44 am

You might have some success asking for one on Freecycle or Freegle. Bikes come up occasionally round here. Bumbe

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

I have, with varying degrees of success built up perhaps a dozen bikes from frames, found at the local skip, at boot fairs or on Gumtree. I have paid from £5 to £35 for frames, depending on type and condition and with this experience would offer the following advice.

Cromoly frames are generally a sound buy but look carefully at age since some things may be difficult to fit into older frames, ie brakes (wheel size), forks (steering head sizes" and bottom bracket sizes.

Aluminium frames are usually more modern but watch out for cracks, I have, to be fair, only ever found two cracked aluminium frames out of over 100 bikes I have fixed up but it is usually terminal.

It is always worth checking what comes with the frame, things like bottom brackets and headsets are often left in situ for no extra and although sometimes may need changing, are often perfectly OK. I recently picked up a full suspension Specialized Stumpjumper "frame" at my local tip, it came with headset, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, both derailleurs and one hydraulic brake and both shifters ( all top of the range Shimano XT). I bought the frame for £20 and have so far sold the parts for £100 and the frame for £200 and still have the brakes and shifters and DMR pedals.

One part definitely worth checking is the derailleur hanger, I have refused to buy frames that had this missing for two reasons, first, they can be very difficult to find, second, they can cost more than you paid for the frame.

Another important part to consider are the front forks. rigid or suspension? I would highly recommend rigid, unless you have a decent set of suspension forks already to hand. Suspension forks are generally heavy horrible things unless they are air forks which are horribly expensive. Find a nice set of Kona project 2 forks though and you will have bought an appreciating asset.

Finally note that although some frame/forks will take both, many frames are either suitable for either disk or rim brakes, remember to check.

Overall though, I commend you in your desire to show your son how to build up a bike, he will learn lots and the lessons should stay with him for life. These lessons go far beyond cycling, more into recycling in general and how to practically fix things rather than throwing away and buying new.

I persuaded my friend to do the same in building up a bike for his daughter, he had build up motorbikes before but the world of bicycles opened whole new horizons for him.

John

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » February 19th, 2017, 10:02 am

Go to your local council's recycling centre . There are often bike frames around which an attendant might let you take away. I have left frames and complete bikes in my local council depot in the past so I'm assuming that others have done likewise.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am

I take from the replies above that some local recycling centres have an open/proactive policy of reduse REUSE recycle and getting/buying stuff from them is possible.

Our local/county recyling centres are a total no go here. I can only assume and hope they do have some proper re-use system in place.

didds

jofc

Postby jofc » February 27th, 2017, 12:55 pm

If you are only after the frame, then look on ebay like someone suggested.

If you know what you are after there are good bargins to be had.
What happens (with road and cyclocross) is:
When a mechanically minded cyclist looks to upgrade:
They notice that most of the price of a new bike is the wheels/gears.
The manufacturer ships the same frame with different priced bikes.
So they buy the cheapest model with the frame they want.
The swap all their top end components onto the new frame.
They then sell the components as new (which is why you see a lot of low/mid spec components for much less than the bike shops can sell them)
And sell off the frame

Oh & if you are not in a rush and were looking for a 'Hybrid', you could get something a little more interesting by putting a watch on the old style 'Genesis Vapour' Cyclo cross frame - one with center pull brakes, not disk brakes. Been so pleased with mine, I got one for my son too.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » February 27th, 2017, 1:43 pm

didds wrote:I take from the replies above that some local recycling centres have an open/proactive policy of reduse REUSE recycle and getting/buying stuff from them is possible.

Our local/county recyling centres are a total no go here. I can only assume and hope they do have some proper re-use system in place.

didds

Our local recycling centre aka tip doesn't allow anything to be taken away.
I saw a pile of document folders, and as I had intended to buy one later that day, I ambled over and liberated one.
"Oy! What are you doing - this is our recycling centre..."
"I'm recycling this, same as you're recycling the metal I just gave you..."

Return to “Cycling”