Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

L / XL Size Dilemma

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

L / XL Size Dilemma

Postby moorfield » March 28th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Fully expecting the answer "go and sit on one", :lol: , I thought I'd ask esteemed Fools first since it's a weekend schlep to my nearest stockist...

I am looking at acquiring a BTwin MTB (Rockrider) and am bang on the boundary between their published frame sizes, ie: L 1M75-1M80 | XL 1M80-1M95.

So which direction to Play My Cards Right - higher or lower?

I have 2 old station (mtb) bikes - one is an 18" frame that I have always felt is too small (seat and handlebars raised as high as possible), and the other a 20" frame that is about right, with room to raise the seat and handlebars a touch if I wanted to. I am likely to use this one for long but not extreme distances, say 15-20 miles, across mixed terrain roads, gravel tracks etc. so want to be comfortable on the handlebars.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Brucie

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: L / XL Size Dilemma

Postby redsturgeon » March 29th, 2017, 8:44 am

moorfield wrote:Fully expecting the answer "go and sit on one", :lol: , I thought I'd ask esteemed Fools first since it's a weekend schlep to my nearest stockist...

I am looking at acquiring a BTwin MTB (Rockrider) and am bang on the boundary between their published frame sizes, ie: L 1M75-1M80 | XL 1M80-1M95.

So which direction to Play My Cards Right - higher or lower?

I have 2 old station (mtb) bikes - one is an 18" frame that I have always felt is too small (seat and handlebars raised as high as possible), and the other a 20" frame that is about right, with room to raise the seat and handlebars a touch if I wanted to. I am likely to use this one for long but not extreme distances, say 15-20 miles, across mixed terrain roads, gravel tracks etc. so want to be comfortable on the handlebars.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Brucie

How old are you and how aggressive a position do you want?

If you want more aggressive then go for the smaller size and the seat height will probably be above the bars. For more comfort orientation and a more upright riding position then a larger frame will mean the seat will need to be raise less out of the seat tube and will be lower wrt to the bars than otherwise. Any reach issues can be sorted by looking at the length of the stem and the setback of the seat.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 29th, 2017, 10:28 am

redsturgeon wrote:How old are you and how aggressive a position do you want?
John

Also the body shape. Long legs and short back, or vice versa? Wiry or burly? Paunch to accommodate? How comfortable is a more crouched foetal-like position?

Once upon a time I had two largely-similar tourers of different sizes[1]. The bigger was the more comfortable, and was my choice for touring. But the smaller was very responsive and nippy: great for commuting in heavy city traffic.

[1] The second was an emergency purchase. When I went to work in Germany, my employer told me there was a metro line to my workplace. Turned out there were just big billboards, proclaiming the line was being built at the time. So I needed a bike for commuting, and couldn't wait to ship the existing one from Blighty.

jofc

Postby jofc » March 29th, 2017, 11:03 am

You already know the answer.

You do need to go and try it, because we are all different shapes and sizes.

Height is not the biggest concern, as the saddle goes up & down.
Reach is much more important for comfort. You don't get much scope to change this, but small adjustments can be made by buying different length handlebar stems.

It is why a lot of the kids / youth riders in the club my son goes to ride road bikes that are sold as 'womens' frames - the reach is shorter.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 29th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Thanks all, I am armed with plenty of questions, things to think about there.

BTWin's website incidentally sizes me as L, which is what I was veering towards, so lower Brucie please.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » April 5th, 2017, 8:57 am

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 11th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I bought a Scott CR1 road bike a few years ago - I am on the borderline between a large and medium frame.

I paid £25 to be measured by a Scott dealer who advised me to go for the large frame for all day riding comfort.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 11th, 2017, 10:50 pm

moorfield wrote:I am looking at acquiring a BTwin MTB (Rockrider) and am bang on the boundary between their published frame sizes, ie: L 1M75-1M80 | XL 1M80-1M95.

So in the end I've gone for the L size frame, and very happy with it. I wanted it for the frame really, and now that it has arrived today I am planning on immediately taking it to bits this weekend and pimping it to suit my own tastes:

(i) replacing slicker 26x1.75 tyres
(ii) replacing grip with friction shifters (I am old fashioned like that)

Return to “Cycling”