Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Recommendations for Hybrid Bikes (his and hers)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Recommendations for Hybrid Bikes (his and hers)

Postby Clariman » April 27th, 2017, 8:58 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Clariman wrote:Our local bike shop is recommending one of these http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/metro/element

Disc brakes, hydraulic brakes, lightweight frame, 27 speed gears.

Any thoughts?

C

Looks reasonably well specced for the price and meets your needs as stated originally. Will he let you try them out? Does he suggest anything else at a similar price point to compare them with? For your needs you could argue that hydraulic brakes are not really necessary, unless you are thinking big hill and wet conditions.

John

Thanks
We live up a bit of a hill, so anywhere we would cycle from home would involve climbs :( , so that is why he shifted from 9 gears to 3x9 and I the better quality components of that model.

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 28th, 2017, 8:50 am

Clariman wrote:Our local bike shop is recommending one of these http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/metro/element

Disc brakes, hydraulic brakes, lightweight frame, 27 speed gears.

Any thoughts?

C

My friend has owned a Ridgeback for the last 25 years - not as high specced as this.

She has ridden many of the UK trails on it and the times I have borrowed it I have found it to be very comfortable and easy to ride.I could ride it all day .

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 28th, 2017, 8:57 am

You may also look at ebay - a colleague of mine picked up an excellent Ridgeback Hybrid for one hundred and fifty pounds.If you do not enjoy cycling ,as I have witnessed with some people, then you will not have six hundred pounds stuck in the shed.

I just completed the Trans Pennine trail on a Marin hybrid also a first class ride.

Too many choices here!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 28th, 2017, 11:09 am

piccadilly wrote:You may also look at ebay - a colleague of mine picked up an excellent Ridgeback Hybrid for one hundred and fifty pounds.If you do not enjoy cycling ,as I have witnessed with some people, then you will not have six hundred pounds stuck in the shed.
!

Chicken - egg.

A lot of those people who have bikes sitting unloved in a shed are precisely those whose thought process was: "Let's get something cheap to see if we enjoy it first, then take it from there." The cheap bike is a chore rather than a pleasure, so £150 turns out much more expensive per mile than £1500 would have been.

I wouldn't buy a bike secondhand. In a bike whose basic quality is good enough to be rideable, the risk that it's stolen goods is far too high.

Return to “Cycling”