Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Recommendations for Hybrid Bikes (his and hers)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Recommendations for Hybrid Bikes (his and hers)

Postby Clariman » April 18th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Mrs C and I have not cycled for some time, but now have more time on our hands, so would like to get a couple of bikes. We're not talking about major touring or anything mountain or sport related - just cycling on roads, on tow paths or other decent tracks. It would appear that a hybrid would make sense??

Other factors - easy to cycle (not heavy going), reasonably light to lift onto bike racks etc. Something reasonably sturdy but not too expensive.

Recommendations for HIS and HERS?

Thanks
Clariman

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Re: Recommendations for Hybrid Bikes (his and hers)

Postby piccadilly » April 18th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I like the Trek FX series - they do his and hers.

Very smooth ride.

I also recommend SLIK tyres to make to reduce road friction - making pedalling easier.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 19th, 2017, 1:04 am

Clariman wrote:Mrs C and I have not cycled for some time, but now have more time on our hands, so would like to get a couple of bikes. We're not talking about major touring or anything mountain or sport related - just cycling on roads, on tow paths or other decent tracks. It would appear that a hybrid would make sense??

Other factors - easy to cycle (not heavy going), reasonably light to lift onto bike racks etc. Something reasonably sturdy but not too expensive.

Recommendations for HIS and HERS?

Thanks
Clariman

You are in Edinburgh...go visit these people.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/bicycl ... bikes.html

John

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Postby GJHarney » April 20th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm edging towards a hybrid myself. My lad got his first proper bike the other week from my local indie bike shop, and despite him still being 10 (11 next month) he actually fitted an adult 17" frame 700c wheeled bike (bit of a shock to me, I knew he was tall but...). The very good member of staff went through a few options but had a lot of good things to say about ridgeback hybrids (Brit company although all far east made sadly) as well specced reasonably lightweight flat bar road bikes and we ended up getting Velocity model (which we kitted with mudguards and a rack) for a reasonable price and I'm very impressed with its quality.

A lot will depend on your price point. Being something of a traditionalist I like the idea of a reynolds steel frame (again sadly far east made now I believe) and and very taken with the Spa (of Harrogate) steel tourer model that can come with either drops or a flat bar that they assemble themselves (including the hand built wheels), but it is not far off a grand so I would need to do a lot of miles to justify that to myself!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

If I was getting a hybrid bike then I'd probably go for a Specialized or a Marin or a Kona. The Specialized Sirrus is a good looking bike that can be specced with a range of kit that can take you from £400 to nearly £2000!! Marins just seem to be well designed with cool shaped frames that roll very nicely and there's just something about Konas that makes them very desirable and they hold their price really well.

I'd be buying second hand via my local Gumtree or eBay. Going rate being about half of the new price for something about two years old and used maybe twice! (Except the Kona would probably be pricier)

At the moment I have a Specialized Globe with an Shimano Nexus hub gear, an excellent bike that cost me £50 from an old bloke who'd looked after it for five or six years and then stopped riding it. For pootling into town and back with a rack and panniers for shopping, it's great. For longer journeys on the road I have a 2009 Kona Jake the Snake Cyclocross bike which I think looks really old school and cool, again bought second hand for not too much money.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... +The+Snake

I know the youngsters do like a brand new bike but I have trained my lad to really appreciate that he can end up with a much better bike than his mates if we buy used (and I end up spending much less) At the moment he has a really lightweight Commencal hybrid and a Specialized Rockhopper ATB and a nice BMX for less money than a Halfords special!

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 20th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Thanks for your advice. We haven't bought bikes for ages and were getting mixed messages. We went to a bike repairer/2nd hand bike shop where the guy said he could "do us a good deal" and then started showing us pretty scruffy looking bikes with partially worn tyres for £240, yet you can buy brand new hybrids from Halfords for £150. One of the 2nd hand ones was a Specialized but I don't know which model. There was something that I found a bit slippery about the guy but I think he does sell a lot of bikes locally.

Ridgeback I had been recommended some years ago when I had planned to buy a bike but didn't in the end. Our local bike shop certainly sells them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 20th, 2017, 9:40 pm

I would not consider spending anything less than £300 on a new bike...it will be rubbish. You can buy a new bike for £100 but read this first:
http://www.whycycle.co.uk/buying-a-bike ... object/not stay adjusted

If you buy a cheap bike then you will not enjoy riding it. The brakes and gears will be difficult to adjust properly, it will be heavy and more difficult to pedal than a lighter bike, the cheap wheels will not roll as easily as they should, it will rattle and squeak when you ride it. For someone of your means I'd recommend you spend more like £500 on a bike. Seriously go to Edinburgh Cycles and see what they say.

John

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 20th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Decathlon, top class bikes for little money. Don't buy Halfords Appolos

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2017, 7:38 am

tea42 wrote:Decathlon, top class bikes for little money. Don't buy Halfords Appolos

I would certainly agree with that. Decathlon bikes are generally much better value for money than Halfords and never ever touch an Apollo or Trax from Halfords although Carrera and Boardman are OK if they are built up OK by the local Halfords teenager !

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 22nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I would not consider spending anything less than £300 on a new bike...it will be rubbish.
John

Can you really get not-rubbish for £300? Isn't that a kind-of price point for a young demographic, where money is tight but the body can take a lot of punishment without worrying?

Couple of comments on the OP:

Don't assume a hybrid. Consider also a tourer. Perfectly good for the usage you envisage, and will (other things being equal) be a smoother/easier ride on road.

"His and Hers" is largely an illusion. Step-through "womens" bikes have little merit unless she wants to ride in a long skirt or dress. The point where the difference really matters is where the anatomy differs the most: the saddle. Be sure to get that right! But note that a soft-sprung saddle that feels instantly comfy to sit in is likely to be a poor choice for actually going anywhere.

Apart from the saddle, what matters is that the bike's geometry leaves you in a posture you're comfortable with. That's personal to your body shape. Drop handlebars (and some more dodgy configurations) give you the flexibility to shift your posture, which many find useful. Tiny differences in geometry may have a big effect on the ride. If His bike prompts him to ride fast and Hers to ride slow - or vice versa - that could detract quite a lot from riding together.

Also, think about practicalities. A practical bike has mudguards, and at least one rack to carry luggage. A pure hobbyist bike may lack those things. What's your market?

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 23rd, 2017, 7:25 pm

Two friends if mine have bought the Kona Dew Hybrid Sports bike.

It is a comfortable fast ride.

The 2016 model is available at "Cycle Store"' (I am not too sure how to post the link) - 25% discount.

Medium and Large in stock.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 24th, 2017, 7:11 am

piccadilly wrote:Two friends if mine have bought the Kona Dew Hybrid Sports bike.

It is a comfortable fast ride.

The 2016 model is available at "Cycle Store"' (I am not too sure how to post the link) - 25% discount.

Medium and Large in stock.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/kona_dew_s ... 6-ID_67198

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 24th, 2017, 7:19 am

Can you really get not-rubbish for £300?

Just about, I'd consider it the absolute minimum price at which to start looking and go up from there. You won't get anything great at that price but something that will hold together and be OK to ride for for an hour or two at a time.

The Kona Dew linked to above for £329 being a good example. I'd be more than happy to ride one of those.

John

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » April 24th, 2017, 11:47 am

Perhaps a minor point, but If you are to take the bike in a car, then one with a short wheel base will fit across the back of a car (almost), but some have long wheel bases and extend way over.
The weight of a bike is also important if you have to lift it into and out of a hatchback/ estate.

My Halfords Boardman Team Hybrid Comp is light, 11.2 kg with carbon fibre forks and no suspension. It replaced a MTB. Has 700x32mm road tire with reflective sidewalls. No problems riding roads or most tracks. Of course proper off road, muddy tracks would be better with wider tyres. I find I don't need suspension forks. Handlebars at 600mm are not as wide as than some bikes, so makes getting between cars easier.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Mrs C popped into an Evans cycle shop recently and they were punting Pinnacle bikes. Is that there own brand? Any good? I think price was around £600.

C

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 25th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Clariman wrote:Mrs C popped into an Evans cycle shop recently and they were punting Pinnacle bikes. Is that there own brand? Any good? I think price was around £600.

C

They are OK, I assume that the £600 was for two bikes. The Kona Dew is a better bike.

Bit like buying a Kia rather than a Volvo

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 25th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Thanks John. I think that was for one bike but will check when she is back in.

I haven't bought a Volvo! :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 25th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks John. I think that was for one bike but will check when she is back in.

I haven't bought a Volvo! :)

LOL... so you;'ve actually managed to buy a car then! Result!

I looked up Pinnacle, I've come across them now and then but yes they are the in house Evans brand. They just don't seem as lovable to me as something like a Kona.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 27th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Our local bike shop is recommending one of these http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/metro/element

Disc brakes, hydraulic brakes, lightweight frame, 27 speed gears.

Any thoughts?

C

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 27th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Clariman wrote:Our local bike shop is recommending one of these http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/metro/element

Disc brakes, hydraulic brakes, lightweight frame, 27 speed gears.

Any thoughts?

C

Looks reasonably well specced for the price and meets your needs as stated originally. Will he let you try them out? Does he suggest anything else at a similar price point to compare them with? For your needs you could argue that hydraulic brakes are not really necessary, unless you are thinking big hill and wet conditions.

John

Return to “Cycling”