Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Errmmm .... bike seat and clothing advice required

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Errmmm .... bike seat and clothing advice required

Postby Clariman » May 3rd, 2017, 7:27 pm

Mrs C and I went to the bike shop today to check out the bikes they had got in for us. All in good in terms of cycling but I found the seat on mine ... er ... somewhat awkward. One of my boy parts (one that comes as a pair) seemed to head over the edge of one side of the seat. Very uncomfortable.

The bike shop guy said the bike had come with a racing style saddle so he would swap it for one designed for comfort. OK so that's a good start.

But it begs the question - how does one maintain comfort and what clothing is best? No I'm not going to invest in skin-tight lycra - I'll leave that until I've lost 6 stone.

So for general pottering about on a bike - maybe doing 10 to 20 miles, what advice would you give on clothing on your bottom half? Give it to me as it is. Underwear, trousers, support - you name it. I don't want to injure myself.

I can't believe I'm asking this. I don't remember it being a great problem but I am pretty overweight these days.

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Re: Errmmm .... bike seat and clothing advice required

Postby YeeWo » May 3rd, 2017, 8:12 pm

I swear by my Brooks Saddle complete with cutaway middle which removes pressure from the male undercarriage. £100+ but a genuinely good investment. 1 hour a day Cycling and I have no problem, also the Leather mounds to your shape over time. This gives the Saddle an old-pair-of-shoes sensation........

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 3rd, 2017, 8:13 pm

Clariman wrote:
I can't believe I'm asking this. I don't remember it being a great problem

I wouldn't worry about raising the issue here, other than trying to sort it out. You won't be the first person to have this issue, I'm sure. It sounds like the most important thing is to be in a position where you're encouraged to get out on the bikes, and an uncomfortable seat is going to put you off...

We hired some bikes down Cornwall a few years ago, when we did one of our trips down the Camel Trail, and my wife raved about the wide, spring-shocked bike seats on the hire-bike at the time. So much so, that I looked into it when we got back, and got one of these for her bike, and it went down a storm -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selle-SMP-Spru ... B000VEG97I

Just something to think about, but given that you can keep the saddle that comes with the bike and go back to it at some future date if things get a little more, erm, comfortable for you, then for the sake of £20 it might be a good option.

There's probably things you can do on the clothing-side of the equation, to help keep things a little more comfortable as well, but I'd see that as a less flexible expense, and one that may be more of a short-term solution if you expect there to be some weight-loss benefits to getting the bike out, where relatively expensive clothing that might not be used for anything else may become obsolete if the health-benefits come to pass.

Enjoy your summer rides!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 3rd, 2017, 8:55 pm

Your saddle really matters. I thought I mentioned it on your other thread?

I wear regular shorts, and try to minimise what I have in the pockets. My best tip is light but close-fitting (not tight) pants, that don't admit dangling inside, and that provide comfortable separation between dangling parts and the legs regardless of what you're doing (erm, within reason). And preferably without seams, as in a Y-front. Adjust yourself to a comfortable position, the pants keep you there, and no more worries.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » May 3rd, 2017, 9:05 pm

Clariman wrote:But it begs the question - how does one maintain comfort and what clothing is best? No I'm not going to invest in skin-tight lycra - I'll leave that until I've lost 6 stone.

So for general pottering about on a bike - maybe doing 10 to 20 miles, what advice would you give on clothing on your bottom half? Give it to me as it is. Underwear, trousers, support - you name it. I don't want to injure myself.

I can't believe I'm asking this. I don't remember it being a great problem but I am pretty overweight these days.

We all have different shapes, and what suits one may not suit another, but for what it is worth:

I have tried proper cycling bottoms, thought them incredibly uncomfortable and have stuck to bog standard clothing - in my case M&S cellular cotton and shorts. When cycling in hot weather or humid climes I always carry talc (too much information?)

I have experimented with a gel saddle cover. Didn't do anything for me, but you might like to try it.

My cycling distances are anything from 20-90 KM.

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » May 3rd, 2017, 9:40 pm

Apologies in advance if this reply comes across as blunt. It is meant as constructive advice

If you need to lose 6 stone before you wear lyrca (probably said in jest) there is not going to be a huge amount of room up front for the meat and two veg in standard cycling positions, especially when your legs are moving up and down in a straight line.

Fortunately, when things get cold, the body hides things which will create more room. The frontal area is getting most of the wind chill to assist this.

As already mentioned avoid seams in the 'under area' and where the sit bones are, particularly if you are carrying additional weight. There is cycle specific underwear for this but you may find suitable cheaper pairs in high street shops. Wear comfortable shorts and wear them at temperatures lower than you think normal. I'm in shorts at around 12C+. It will keep the area cooler which will stop sweat which is a good thing.

No saddle will be an arm chair but a comfortable saddle should be pain free if ridden 4 times over a 2 week period. Sit bone area takes a little time to harden up.
Stand and ride out of the saddle for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes.
Also, riding too easy can make a saddle painful as your legs are not taking more of the weight on the pedals.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 4th, 2017, 8:10 am

Some good advice given already I'll add a couple of thoughts.

1. Don't think you will be able to instantly start riding for long periods without getting sore in places that you may have forgotten you had. Break yourself (and your body parts) in gently. I'd suggest no more than half an hour in the saddle per ride for the first couple of weeks/month, probably even 15 minutes max for the first week or so. A regular short ride every day will be better than just a longer ride at the weekend for acclimatisation.

2. Whatever saddle you use, give yourself time to get adjusted to it and get the bike properly adjusted for the best fit for you. If you think about it, the further forward you lean (ie the lower and further away the handlebars are in relation to the saddle, the more weight goes on your sensitive bits but paradoxically the more you are also taking on your wrists. If you sit more upright that the weight on the saddle will shift further back to your sit bones and off the frontal areas but then you are getting more wind resistance too. It all about finding the right balance for you.

3. Be careful about getting a seat that is too padded and comfortable, in the longer term it won't be good since it will tend to spread the weight around other areas than just the sit bones.

4. Gently does it at the start.

John

PS Don't forget your wrists and hands, a pair of gel insert gloves can be useful and try not to let your wrist "sag" at the grip, you can get ergonomically designed grips that help with this.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 4th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

Return to “Cycling”