Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

E-assist add-on

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: E-assist add-on

Postby redsturgeon » May 6th, 2017, 1:06 pm

A couple of points about the link you provided.

That is for a 26" wheel if you say your bike is a racer then I assume it has 700c wheels.

Secondly, you specifically linked to the 1000w motor, good for 45kph...that seems far to powerful for what you want for just the occasional help.

I think the more powerful the motor then the heavier it and its battery pack will be then the harder the bike will be to pedal.

I'd be tempted to keep the bike you like and buy an ebike for use on windy days!

John

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » May 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Hi Snorvey,
That is a very heavy motor at 10kg. I note that it is 48 volts so you would need to source a suitable battery and charger which is another cost to consider.
I'd take a look at what companies such as Bosch are doing in this field as they are a world renowned company who spend a lot on R+D
Here's a link

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/

Some come with an "auto" option where they sense the amount of force you are applying to the pedals and when it gets above a certain amount the power assist engages automatically.

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » May 25th, 2017, 8:40 am

I added e assist to my wife's bike. 250w front wheel motor, the set up added around 6kg to the overall weight 3kg for the motor and 3 kg for the battery. It is possible to remove the e assist bits relatively easily but this is not a 2 minute job. The battery unclips but the front wheel has to be bolted on [rather than quick release] this is because of the motor torque. The kit I bought was just under £400, but I am sure that there are other more sophisticated ones available. For example: the kit required the bike to have a square taper bottom bracket for the chainset in order to mount the pedal sensor and the bike to have cable brakes.

I too think that a dedicated e bike is probably a better but more costly solution. There are some great e bikes out there now.

Return to “Cycling”