Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sealant sprays?

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Sealant sprays?

Postby moorfield » July 5th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I’m starting to cycle longer routes and feel the need now to equip myself properly to deal with emergency puncture repairs on the road (having recently had a near miss 1 mile from home …). The aim would be to do enough to deal with a thorn/shard and get home, I’m considering equipping myself with a sealant spray + mini pump. Would be grateful for any views etc. on how good these actually are in practice?

Thanks
M

Lemon Slice

Re: Sealant sprays?

Postby 9873210 » July 5th, 2017, 8:10 pm

IMHO not very good. I suggest either:

1) Carry a good frame pump (e.g. Zefel HPX), a spare tube, a patch kit and know how to use them.

or

2) Ride with somebody does.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 5th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Assuming you are talking about a road bike then it is very easy to take a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a small pump. It is easy to pump up a road bike tyre with even a small pump (perhaps not to 100psi but enough to get you home effectively.

If a mountain bike then it can be worth investing in a bigger pump to save time and energy trying to reinflate a 2inch plus tyre!

John

Percol351

Postby Percol351 » July 6th, 2017, 10:06 am

I've used slime filled tubes about the last 7 years and only had a couple of punctures that needed a repair in that time. I remember changing a tyre and finding a thorn in the tube which the slime had sealed round and not leaked.

Percol

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 6th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Thanks. I can change a tube easily enough at home but want to avoid the pfaff of doing that on the road, I'll give the sprays a try first.

I tend to cycle alone currenty when I can fit it in around work - I'm not really a fully fledged peloton mamil yet, that may change when I retire!

jofc

Postby jofc » July 7th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It can also depend on the tyres you pick.
Plenty of people will tell you their best/worst experiences on here.
I found marathon plus tyres heavy but bomb proof on a weekly commute. But sizes don't go thin enough for pure road bikes. (Perfect on my cyclo cross bike though)

If you're on a road bike with 700cx23 tyres, then most of the budget mini pumps will only get you enough pressure for a limp back to base.
(which is why OP said a frame pump - or one of those CO2 inflaters)
Also spare tube AND patches. in case more than one puncture on the trip.

P.S. there is also some satisfaction to be gained when riding in shirtsleeves & bike clips & wasting some of the 'all the gear but no idea' mamils. Even though I can't keep up with the bike club pro's

Return to “Cycling”