Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Measuring cycle distances etc - I like METRICS!

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Measuring cycle distances etc - I like METRICS!

Postby Clariman » August 20th, 2017, 11:19 am

Mrs C and I bought our bikes back in May and have some good cycles - building up from 8 miles very flat to 14 miles with some more ups and downs. Because of rubbish weather here we've only done 4 or 5 cycles. Will be doing another this afternoon (about 14 miles) with an aim to be ready for a group cycle of 18 miles in the next few weeks.

Anyway, to the point. I enjoy seeing metrics of what distance has been covered, calories burned, speed etc - distance being the most interesting. I currently have none of this. What are the best apps or devices for this?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see what distance I've cycled while actually on the bike, rather than just look at an app after I get home. Would you recommend Smartphone apps with something to attach the phone to the handlebar - or a dedicated gadget on the handlebar?

Advice much appreciated.

Clariman

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Measuring cycle distances etc - I like METRICS!

Postby redsturgeon » August 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Clariman wrote:Mrs C and I bought our bikes back in May and have some good cycles - building up from 8 miles very flat to 14 miles with some more ups and downs. Because of rubbish weather here we've only done 4 or 5 cycles. Will be doing another this afternoon (about 14 miles) with an aim to be ready for a group cycle of 18 miles in the next few weeks.

Anyway, to the point. I enjoy seeing metrics of what distance has been covered, calories burned, speed etc - distance being the most interesting. I currently have none of this. What are the best apps or devices for this?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see what distance I've cycled while actually on the bike, rather than just look at an app after I get home. Would you recommend Smartphone apps with something to attach the phone to the handlebar - or a dedicated gadget on the handlebar?

Advice much appreciated.

Clariman

It depends if you cycle in all weathers or just in the dry, you wouldn't want your iphone getting wet!

If you use a phone app then strava is very popular, otherwise Garmin are probably the main brand in bike GPS systems.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 20th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Thanks. Good points both. Have ordered a Garmin Edge 25

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 20th, 2017, 3:04 pm

My 2p now possibly too late, but your typical smartphone has plenty of suitable apps for free available to it - endomondo, strava (and spin-offs for windows phones). They give disatnce and height profiles and time etc, and the phone just sits in a cycle shirt pocket/jacket pocket/shorts pocket, wherever, snug and safe.

What these things CANT give you is calories burned. Sure they might give you a number (based on some basic input from yourself like weight and age etc etc) but its no netter than " a finger in the air" guess. The best you'll get from it is a relative measure between rides.

didds

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 20th, 2017, 6:55 pm

I've used Cyclemeter for years and found it excellent - https://abvio.com/cyclemeter/

And it's free! :D

I'm not happy about carrying a phone in my pocket, as it could all too easily come out and be smashed in the event of an accident. I've therefore used one of these and again I've found it very good - http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... ase-147507

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 21st, 2017, 6:31 pm

I use this for running, walking and rambling, it uses fuzzy logic and Google map.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 25th, 2017, 8:07 pm

The Edge 25 has a phone app which allows route details to be shown on a bluetooth connected smartphone.

So could someone else (with appropriate permissions) view the location of the cyclist at any given time? Actually, I think the iPhone has a tracking app on it anyway doesn't it?

Mrs C is doing a long (for us) cycle tomorrow and I'd like to be able to track her progress in case she needs picked up from anywhere. I was supposed to be doing it too but am not well (nothing major).

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » August 25th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Strava on your smartphone. Free. Voted 'best cycling innovation' some years ago. Really worth a try. You might find it addictive.

jofc

Postby jofc » August 29th, 2017, 3:08 pm

You need a reasonably new smartphone to get the current version working though
Strava stopped working on my old Huawei phone after an update about 6 months ago (after several years of faultless performance)
But I am now up & working again after swapping to a more modern android phone

The free version does everything I need & more

Return to “Cycling”