Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tour of Britain cycle race

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Tour of Britain cycle race

Postby brightncheerful » September 6th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Despite having cycled as a means of transport and enjoyment during my teens, I'm not a fan of cyclists let alone cycling as a sport but I do like to take photographs of one-off events for my collection of photos of one-off events.

This coming Sunday the subject and what our local newspaper describes as a 'thrilling sprint section' will be riding through our town; the main street is apparently going to lined with people wanting to witness the spectacle. Part of the main street is also lined with pot holes.

Normally I don't take photos of moving subjects but I'm getting more daring in my old age and experimenting with the tracking autofocus on my camera which can shutter at between 1 and 4 frames per second.

Would you think it worth going along to just to take a few photos or is it likely to be all over in seconds?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tour of Britain cycle race

Postby Watis » September 6th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I think that, as the race will essentially be passing your doorstep, you should be out there ready to snap away. In any case it sounds as though your camera will do most of the work for you. What aperture and shutter speed do you consider most appropriate to capture the occasion for your collection of photos of one-off events?

I don't know how many riders are taking part, nor how far through the race the riders will be when they pass through your town, but you should have several opportunities to photograph the peloton.

I do hope the mention of pot holes isn't in the hope of seeing a mass pile-up should a rider hit one and be thrown from their bike.

Have you considered cross-posting your question to the Photography board?

Watis

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Tour of Britain cycle race

Postby UncleIan » September 6th, 2017, 2:35 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Normally I don't take photos of moving subjects but I'm getting more daring in my old age and experimenting with the tracking autofocus on my camera which can shutter at between 1 and 4 frames per second.

Would you think it worth going along to just to take a few photos or is it likely to be all over in seconds?

It depends. It should be busy, so there'll be lots of people in the way, there will be a period of build up, if you're lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) race sponsors will come along and hand out free stuff, hmm, the sprint is sponsored by an alcohol free wine. More usually it's flags to wave hats or caps to wear. Most bizarre thing we got was a tube of chestnut paste, but that was the tour de france - a different scale. People will stand around alot. Motorbikes and cars will whizz past. You'll hear a helicopter. it'll come overhead, everyone will get excited, either there'll be a breakaway and a small group of riders will whoosh past, followed by the main group (peloton), or just a main peloton, probably about 180 riders. Followed by an inordinate number of team and organisers cars and motorbikes.

A couple of years back it passed close to us, we parked up near a crossroads, it whooshed past, we went home, probably 1.5 hours max. To get in the crowd very close to the line of a sprint finish, I'd get their early, possibly two hours before. I'm not sure.

Personally, I'd say it was worth seeing a sprint if they're really going for it, as the speed they're going is a sight to behold. Just seeing them roll past at some anonymous intersection, you probably have to be a fan. "Is that it?" is a common query of the first (and last) timer.

Return to “Cycling”