Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

shimano sl-ty15-a

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

shimano sl-ty15-a

Postby JMN2 » September 6th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Bought a bike and can't find any manual or instructions on the net what this all means.

Above gears, right hand lever 1 to 5 and left one from L to H range ie low to high chainring I assume. Currently in far L.

I don't want to get my chain off so thought I'd ask first, if I want to switch to middle chainring can I be in any gear, and how much force can I put on my pedalling (should I take it easy)? :oops:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: shimano sl-ty15-a

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2017, 4:57 pm

JMN2 wrote:Bought a bike and can't find any manual or instructions on the net what this all means.

Above gears, right hand lever 1 to 5 and left one from L to H range ie low to high chainring I assume. Currently in far L.

I don't want to get my chain off so thought I'd ask first, if I want to switch to middle chainring can I be in any gear, and how much force can I put on my pedalling (should I take it easy)? :oops:

I am assuming that this is quite an old bike and the RH gear shifter is indexed (it clicks into each gear) while the LH that controls the front derailleur is not indexed and you have to just move it until the chain shifts to where you want it and stops "chattering".

It should have the stops set on the actual derailleur so the chain cannot be moved right off either end. This applies to both front and rear mechs.

Yes, you should continue pedalling but with no pressure during gear changes.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 6th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Thanks John, yes, quite an old used bike but fully serviced with new tyres and brake pads etc, and just as you described. I wish to explore some railway paths and also exercise muscles not used in jogging.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2017, 5:58 pm

JMN2 wrote:Thanks John, yes, quite an old used bike but fully serviced with new tyres and brake pads etc, and just as you described. I wish to explore some railway paths and also exercise muscles not used in jogging.

Good luck...I'm sure you will enjoy it!

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 10th, 2017, 9:19 am

You will eventually need to get the chain off. At the very least, to replace it when it wears out! You should also periodically clean it of gunk and re-grease (other choices of rust-protection are available, though regular oil is less than ideal 'cos it tends to pick up gunk).

My best tip for when you do is to have some regular oldfashioned non-bio powder detergent to hand. Vastly better than swarfega for cleaning the hands afterwards. Also works for other hands-greasy/oily situations, like when you're cooking something messy.

As for regular use of the gears, it's one of those things that becomes second-nature as you get used to it. Should be straightforward enough (I wouldn't buy a bike in the first place until I'd had a test-ride on normal roads), but if you're nervous, find somewhere safe&easy to practice until you get the hang of it.

Return to “Cycling”