Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New bike - adventure?

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
StepOne
Lemon Slice

New bike - adventure?

Postby StepOne » January 15th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Hi,

I'm feeling that it's about time to get a new bike - it must be at least 5 years since my last one, so that's all right isn't it? :D

I'm commuting on a second hand hybrid just now, on a combination of roads/cycle paths, but with fairly skinny tyres - basically puncture-resistant versions of road tyres. I think what I am looking for is something that would allow slighly larger tyres, with dropped handlebars, disc brakes, mudguards and rack. I want to still be able to go reasonably quickly on road, but also go onto paths/tracks etc without worrying about punctures. I think I would have called this a tourer in the past, but there seem to be things called adventure bikes now which fit the bill. I found this in the wiggle sale which looks like what I had in mind, and in the right price range, but unfortunately no longer available in my size (large).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fuji-tread-ltd- ... bike-2017/

Has anyone got any similar recommendations - particularly looking for thing currently available in the sale!

Thanks,
StepOne

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: New bike - adventure?

Postby kyu66 » January 16th, 2018, 9:21 am

StepOne,

As well as the type of bike you linked to, take a look at cyclocross bikes, they can usually take mudguards and a rack. A good all-rounder for commuting and some off-road stuff.

Any of the major brands entry-level or just above should be fine - second hand is where you find the best value if you can source one.

At the very least try each type of bike to see which you prefer.

HTH
kyu66

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 16th, 2018, 9:59 am

That looks an interesting bike. I'd have said classic tourer if you hadn't explained otherwise in your post. Or with the bars visibly lower than the saddle, perhaps a bike for urban commuting where you want lively and responsive.

I'm a great fan of tourers, and have no hesitation in taking them off-road and onto more challenging terrain than most mountain bikes ever see. From my time in God's own county I'd contrast my carrying full camping gear over long stretches of the Pennine way (where I'd very rarely see another bike), vs a simple sunday ride around Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs on a very easy surface, crawling with mountain bikes some of them slightly incredulous that I was there in a "road" bike!

The only real drawback of a tourer off-road is the lower ground clearance compared to a mountain bike. It's not clear in that picture how the "adventure" bike compares: is it something of a halfway house?

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 24th, 2018, 3:20 pm

kyu66 wrote:StepOne,

As well as the type of bike you linked to, take a look at cyclocross bikes, they can usually take mudguards and a rack. A good all-rounder for commuting and some off-road stuff.

I have a Giant Revolt cyclocross bike. It's a fab little beast and takes both semi knobbly and slick tyres, has disc brakes etc. Mine is couple years old now, but was <£1k when new as I got it in cycle to work scheme. Some people <sniff> mock the slightly strange look but I have a soft spot for it and we get along very happily.

Return to “Cycling”